Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM

Default "Free Fishing"

I was going thru the fishing regs and discovered that I will never have to pay for a fishing licence again! It had never even dawned on me.
I guess that's something to celebrate.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM

congrats and/or happy birthday

but if I had my way seniors would still need a licence
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Banned

Bonus!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Happy Birthday! Make sure that you catch enough fish to get your money's worth.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 AM

Free fishing licence for me in Saskatchewan later this year - I make enough donations to SERM via hunting licences and uncut tags to cover the cost of a fishing licence. I see this as one of the few perks of old age and creaking bones.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 AM

Dad also discovered the free seasonal provincial park pass for seniors. Regional parks do not apply.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Never say "never again".

A lot of people think that 1. all anglers should be licenced so F&W can know the real numbers of anglers out there. And 2. so all anglers will have to get a copy of the regulations so they know the laws. (you generally pic up regulations when you get a licence from a vender)

AF&GA have had resolutions several times asking the Gov't to do this.

So one day senior anglers may have to have a licence to fish, even if it is free of very cheap.

It will be a few years till I get the free ride for fishing. At least I will not then have to be forced to contribute to the ACA.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

Well if you ever get your way , l,ll be the first to argue that all kids pay too , you ever see the family out there with 7 kids , mom and dad sitting in the chair with beers , and 7 kids fishing free , the old folks worked all there lives , helped build this country , if free fishing is the least we can do to say thank you , its all good.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Well if you ever get your way , l,ll be the first to argue that all kids pay too , you ever see the family out there with 7 kids , mom and dad sitting in the chair with beers , and 7 kids fishing free , the old folks worked all there lives , helped build this country , if free fishing is the least we can do to say thank you , its all good.
I agree, old folks should be able to fish for free or a minor cost...but I still think they should have to pick up a license at no cost.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

No, he just found out great grandpa was treaty, so he is too. LOL
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Happy Birthday Sir!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM

[LEFT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Happy Birthday! Make sure that
you catch enough fish to get your money's worth.

Thanks...but my birthday was last October.

I don't fish to see if I can catch the most or the biggest fish anymore. I enjoy time on the water, trying different setups, presentations, locations etc. There are special times on the lake, when yours is the only boat in sight, the water is calm, you can hear the birds chirping, the occasional splash as a hungry fish chases a minnow or a fly. Time has no meaning and life is good.

Fishing with the grandkids has become a favorite passtime too. Its more fun to watch and share their joy and excitement as they bring in even the smallest fish.
My 4 year old grandson's first walleye was only about 30 cms and as I was about to slip it back into the water he said: Papa, Papa "NO, I'M GOING TO EAT THAT FISH!" Well I had to put it in the live well for him (released it when he wasn't looking). Later he watched as I cleaned his fish ( a legal sized one) and he helped me fry the fillets and he ate more fish that day than he had eaten before. Precious times, for sure.

My wife enjoys fishing, but can't understand catch and release. So when we go out together, she catches her keeper and thats it - back to camp for her. So what I did was tell her the minimum size for a keeper was 47 cms (actually 43). I kept this going for a good month. We stayed out fishing together longer and she was happy. One day we were fishing near some friends and they caught a nice walleye. Vern yells over : " a nice keeper, 45 cms". Wifey says "what" Cat's out of the bag - Vern tells her anything 43 or over is good. Needless to say, I had some explaining to do. I said oops, must have misread the regs. Precious times.

May 15th can't come soon enough.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post

I don't fish to see if I can catch the most or the biggest fish anymore. I enjoy time on the water, trying different setups, presentations, locations etc. There are special times on the lake, when yours is the only boat in sight, the water is calm, you can hear the birds chirping, the occasional splash as a hungry fish chases a minnow or a fly. Time has no meaning and life is good.

Fishing with the grandkids has become a favorite passtime too. Its more fun to watch and share their joy and excitement as they bring in even the smallest fish.
My 4 year old grandson's first walleye was only about 30 cms and as I was about to slip it back into the water he said: Papa, Papa "NO, I'M GOING TO EAT THAT FISH!" Well I had to put it in the live well for him (released it when he wasn't looking). Later he watched as I cleaned his fish ( a legal sized one) and he helped me fry the fillets and he ate more fish that day than he had eaten before. Precious times, for sure.

Theres some perspective for the young and learning anglers to think about, theres a great story that resonates wisdom through life experience, i'm glad your investment in your family is paying huge dividends to you, enjoy your time and new found benifits.

My wife enjoys fishing, but can't understand catch and release. So when we go out together, she catches her keeper and thats it - back to camp for her. So what I did was tell her the minimum size for a keeper was 47 cms (actually 43). I kept this going for a good month. We stayed out fishing together longer and she was happy. One day we were fishing near some friends and they caught a nice walleye. Vern yells over : " a nice keeper, 45 cms". Wifey says "what" Cat's out of the bag - Vern tells her anything 43 or over is good. Needless to say, I had some explaining to do. I said oops, must have misread the regs. Precious times.

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHA hilarious
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
I agree. even if its a free license. Also I think if you have kids fishing then the parents accompanying them should have a license. Then at least they have no excuse for not knowing the regs.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post

Haha! Awesome!

Wish my dad liked fishing - we'd be going fishing every other day. He's retired and has no hobby (well, atleast no common hobbies as mine)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Age discrimination! simply put!

Who would have thought that a fake I.D. would be beneficial after you turned 18!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Haha! Awesome!

Wish my dad liked fishing - we'd be going fishing every other day. He's retired and has no hobby (well, atleast no common hobbies as mine)
You may be able to get him interested in fishing.

I had an uncle who never fished a day in his life till he retired to a place on pigeon lake. Then he became a fishing fool and ice-fished pretty well every day in the winter. He imposed on himself a one white-fish a day limit. One meal for him and his wife.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...