Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 PM

Default New boat

Im so pumped,My grandfather handed me down a older 14 ft smoker craft aluminum boat for my bitthday. It has a insulated floor, 4 oak seats, tohatsu engine which internally looks flawless. I don't have a clue what this is worth or if these name brands are descent. Could anyone give me any advice on if the engine brand is usually reliable or easy to get parts for? And if the boat is even a known name? Ill add some pics for viewing, as I enjoy looking at what other people get for toys. I know I'm gonna have to do abit of work here and there as its a bit older. All comments good and bad are welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.9 KB, 363 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Default More pics

Boat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.1 KB, 200 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM

Default Boat 2

Boat2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.2 KB, 246 views)
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 PM

Very nice boat and Grandfather.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Sweet rig! Tohatsu comes off the same line as Mercury as far as I know.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Very nice boat and Grandfather.
x2

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Good looking little rig.

Get some decent high back seats with swivel bases, a little sonar, anchor set up, and some safety gear and you are set for a day out on the water.

If you like trolling I would look into getting a 12 volt electric bow or transom mounted motor and a good group 27-31 deep cycle battery. It should cruise real nice for most of a day.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 PM

Judging by the size of the boat I'd assume the motor is 25 horse or less? If so, no need for an electric, the motor will idle down slow enough to pull cranks and just about anything else. For lindy rigging, etc for eyes you can jut back troll and/ or use things such as drift socks to slow you down. Electrics are nice, but when you're working with a smaller boat, you don't necessarily want the clutter of extra batteries and what not associated with electrics.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Judging by the size of the boat I'd assume the motor is 25 horse or less? If so, no need for an electric, the motor will idle down slow enough to pull cranks and just about anything else. For lindy rigging, etc for eyes you can jut back troll and/ or use things such as drift socks to slow you down. Electrics are nice, but when you're working with a smaller boat, you don't necessarily want the clutter of extra batteries and what not associated with electrics.
I have a 6hp on the back of my 12 footer and can't get it troll slow enough to lindy even when back trolling. Also if that motor is a 2 stroke it will want to bog down and plug up if you idle around with it to much.

You need a battery for a sonar anyways so when not hook a sonar and electric trolling motor up to the same battery?

each to their own I guess but I won't go out without an electric on my boat anymore. Having a quiet motor and being able to completely control my speed has helped out huge in the past.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I have a 6hp on the back of my 12 footer and can't get it troll slow enough to lindy even when back trolling. Also if that motor is a 2 stroke it will want to bog down and plug up if you idle around with it to much.

You need a battery for a sonar anyways so when not hook a sonar and electric trolling motor up to the same battery?

each to their own I guess but I won't go out without an electric on my boat anymore. Having a quiet motor and being able to completely control my speed has helped out huge in the past.
I ran an old 14ft smoker with the flat floor and an old 25 Evinrude motor for years use to troll all day long day after day never had it bog or foul a plug just make sure you have good stream of water coming out.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Drift sock off the bow when back trolling will easily slow you down enough. He didn't say he was a walleye guy anyways. If you only occasionally fish or yes, no sense spending money on an electric. There are excellent portable sonars out there that don't use big marine batteries.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Tohatsu motors are basically the same as a Merc, they actually make the Mercury from my understanding. I have one as a kicker on my boat that came from up your way, Free Spirit Marine if you have any questions about it. Setup your boat to your budget but set it up right, don't cheap out if you don't have to because you will end up spending more money in the long run after you realize you want just a little better equipment. I agree with Nate that a electric trolling motor is the way to go, its not only great for the quiet troll but if you ever do get in trouble with your main it might just save your butt.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Agreed on the electric motor, have Access to one that's if my brother in law comes along . Last time I used the boat and motor it was 5 yrs ago and the pull start needs recoiling but engine ran good. I'm guessing ill have to clean the carb and fuel filter due to sitting for so long. Any engine tips for maintenance, after sitting that long? It's a 2 stroke, 2 plug not even sure the hp.
Oh yeah is there any good trick for testing the motor at home? I used to clamp it on the side of the old water barrel at the acreage. Haha.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Get yourself a set of muffs that hook up to the garden hose, and just run it on the boat...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Get yourself a set of muffs that hook up to the garden hose, and just run it on the boat...
Confused. On the operation and idea? I'm guessing the motor needs to be cooled by water, so do you just spray the prop or hook it up somehow?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM

The "ear muffs" as they are referred to, clamp onto the motor over the water pump intake on the leg. They are connected to the garden hose, and you turn it on and it supplies the motor with the water it needs for cooling, without having to dunk it in a barrel or lake. Just don't run the motor wide open while doing it...
Old 05-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
Tohatsu motors are basically the same as a Merc, they actually make the Mercury from my understanding. I have one as a kicker on my boat that came from up your way, Free Spirit Marine if you have any questions about it. Setup your boat to your budget but set it up right, don't cheap out if you don't have to because you will end up spending more money in the long run after you realize you want just a little better equipment. I agree with Nate that a electric trolling motor is the way to go, its not only great for the quiet troll but if you ever do get in trouble with your main it might just save your butt.
The Mercs that are less than 30HP are Tohatsus. Tohatsus have also been marketed for years as Nissan O/B's in the US and also some as Evinrudes in the past. I had a Tohatsu 18HP on my sail boat and when I had bottom leg issues with the motor, I used Nissan parts as replacements.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
The "ear muffs" as they are referred to, clamp onto the motor over the water pump intake on the leg. They are connected to the garden hose, and you turn it on and it supplies the motor with the water it needs for cooling, without having to dunk it in a barrel or lake. Just don't run the motor wide open while doing it...
Just make sure the motor is 'peeing' from the water outlet just under the upper casing otherwise the motor will overheat.

I used to run some electrical tape around the muffs to snug them to the motor and make sure there was a decent seal so the water would be sucked into the water intake vents on the bottom leg of the motor.

If the motor is not 'peeing' and you are sure the muffs are snug to the motor you may have a water pump problem.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM

I get what your saying now, must of sounded like a dummy. (Cold or hot water?)
Lol thanks hunter trav. So I take it tohatsu no matter of age will have parts around still? And how do you know what hp your boat has if there's no markings?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klagore View Post
I get what your saying now, must of sounded like a dummy. (Cold or hot water?)
Lol thanks hunter trav. So I take it tohatsu no matter of age will have parts around still? And how do you know what hp your boat has if there's no markings?
Cold Water.

Check for the serial number tag the rating should be on that too. It may be on the side of the motor or it could be under the cover on the engine block. It is more important to know the serial number or model number rather than the HP rating as the S/N or model number can be used to find exact parts for the engine. There may be whole lot of model years and variations with the same HP rating.

Last edited by gilbertslake; 05-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Just an FYI, my new merc 4 stroke won't work with muffs and has to be tanked to work.

I know, doesn't make sense to me either but it's true. No amount of tinkering will make it work. The dealer suggested the fix.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Just an FYI, my new merc 4 stroke won't work with muffs and has to be tanked to work.

I know, doesn't make sense to me either but it's true. No amount of tinkering will make it work. The dealer suggested the fix.
Care to elaborate? Ideally a tank is better then muffs, but I can't see how it wouldn't work.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Not sure what to tell you. I've used muffs on many motors and when I tried this one, it wouldn't pump (head stream). Merc said you have to tank it (different dealer than where I bought it).

I tried sealing up the muffs and cranking up to max flow on the hose and nothing. Put it in a tupperware tub and started to pee at idle almost immediately. Went back to the muffs and nothing.

Weird, but not a big deal for me.

It's a 20HP FWIW.

Just thought I would offer the info for others so they don't go out for new parts right away.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Not sure what to tell you. I've used muffs on many motors and when I tried this one, it wouldn't pump (head stream). Merc said you have to tank it (different dealer than where I bought it).

I tried sealing up the muffs and cranking up to max flow on the hose and nothing. Put it in a tupperware tub and started to pee at idle almost immediately. Went back to the muffs and nothing.

Weird, but not a big deal for me.

It's a 20HP FWIW.

Just thought I would offer the info for others so they don't go out for new parts right away.
Ya you probably do have to tank it.

I have a little 6hp johnson and muffs don't work on it. It sucks up water from a different area then muffs normally sit.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 PM

Sounds like Ide better do the 20 min drive and just throw the outboard onto the old rain barrel. Are most outboard recoils easy to recoil? I've done skidoos and trikes, must be same concept. Ill give an update after the weekend, thinking of getting out to a small lake south of Edmonton to test out.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klagore View Post
Sounds like Ide better do the 20 min drive and just throw the outboard onto the old rain barrel. Are most outboard recoils easy to recoil? I've done skidoos and trikes, must be same concept. Ill give an update after the weekend, thinking of getting out to a small lake south of Edmonton to test out.
If you have done a skidoo recoil you can do your boat motor
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Default Muffs on smaller motors

I have similar issues of little to no flow on the muffs on my 130 Johnson. My 1995 Merc 9.9 2 stroke cannot use muffs as the water intakes are not on the sides of the lower leg like others. It is up under the cavitation plate so I run it out of a barrel. Just check your water intake location before you spend the $15 on a set of muffs
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM

If you look at the new line ups for Tohatsu an Nissan they are identical.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:18 PM

I would also pull the plug(s) and spray a shot of WD40 in each cylinder, put the plugs back and let it sit overnight. If you have a gummed up or oxidized ring in there, it will loosen them up prior to turning the motor over. Will reduce your risk of scoring the cylinder wall or breaking a ring.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Ya you probably do have to tank it.

I have a little 6hp johnson and muffs don't work on it. It sucks up water from a different area then muffs normally sit.
I have the same, still use the muffs, just use a bungie cord around it and secure it to the intake.