Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Kayak safety requirements

It took me a bit of digging but I finally found the page describing the safety gear you're required to carry in a boat.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...owered-192.htm

With a kayak being (in my case) a single-person boat that can't mount a motor I always assumed that the regulations didn't apply to me. After reading up, it sounds like I may have certain requirements after all. I was just wondering if I could get some clarification from those who have either been checked by F&W or know for sure what the rules are and how rigidly they are enforced on our lakes in practice?

Do I really need to carry a life jacket, heaving line, bailer, air horn and watertight flashlight?

If it is in fact mandatory, do I need to be wearing a life jacket or can I just stuff it in the storage compartment?

I guess what I'm really asking is how likely is an Alberta F&W officer to write me a ticket or kick me off the water in my single-person sit-in kayak?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM

I know when I kayak down the bow fishing it is required to wear life vest, however my anchor is my heaving line, and I do not have a flashlight, or bailing bucket, or horn and Iv been checked on the bow a bunch of times..
Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Wow... First off please get a comfortable kayak PFD and wear it at all times. Too many paddlers are getting into accidents and losing their lives from not wearing a PFD.

There, my soap box rant is done....

I carry all the items with me when I am out in my kayaks.. I have been checked and honestly don't want to tempt fate and try not carrying just in case. Scotty has a small kit you can buy that has the bailer can(water tight), flashlight, whistle and heaving line.

I am a huge believer in safety on the water and wear my pfd no matter what body of water I am on. With all the new styles out there geared to kayak fishing they are super comfortable. Some even have a half back now to make it easier to sit against the seat.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I guess what I'm really asking is how likely is an Alberta F&W officer to write me a ticket or kick me off the water in my single-person sit-in kayak?
F&W are pretty good, when they have checked me on the Bow they typically suggest we wear PFDs, the city cops on the other hand will give you options... put on the PFD or get a ticket, your choice
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Do I really need to carry a life jacket, heaving line, bailer, air horn and watertight flashlight?

If it is in fact mandatory, do I need to be wearing a life jacket or can I just stuff it in the storage compartment?
You need a lifejacket or approved floatation device (you don't have to wear it), a heaving line, something to bail with, and a whistle.

The bailing device can be a bucket, cut-off gallon jug, etc. You can also buy a little kit in which the case is the bailing device and it has the other requirements inside. I got one from Canadian Tire and just attach it to one of my canoe seats. Bailing device is not required if your vessel can't sink (like a Sit on top kayak). Whistle or air horn are both signalling devices, and unless your kayak is 6 meters long or you are operating at night you do not need a flashlight.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Like Mike said get a kayaking life jacket & wear it...

I have heard of guys getting tickets in belly boats for not having everything, bailer included. I know a bailer on belly boat dosnt make sense.
Just because one F&W officer gave you a Break dosnt mean the next one will.
These items are LAW for a reason & MUST be caried at all times on all personal watercraft.

That being said its your life and $$$. Do as you please.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Banned

& since when can a sit on top kayak not sink...
Of course they can there is a large hollow storage space length of the kayak in most cases. What the hell do you think happens if you hit a rock & either crack or put hole in hull and it fills with water...(hint) it sinks and a bailer is required.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
Of course they can there is a large hollow storage space length of the kayak in most cases. What the hell do you think happens if you hit a rock & either crack or put hole in hull and it fills with water...(hint) it sinks and a bailer is required.
nope,abandon ship,no bailer required.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
I know when I kayak down the bow fishing it is required to wear life vest, however my anchor is my heaving line, and I do not have a flashlight, or bailing bucket, or horn and Iv been checked on the bow a bunch of times..
Just want to add to your statement,

Only in the city limits are you required to wear your PFD *life jacket*

But since your on the bow I would wear it 100% of the time due to safety reasons. It's not like the lake you paddle on
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 PM

If you are out in a kayak or any small craft you should always have a pfd on and done up properly. Accidents happen quickly. As Mikezilk pointed out, the paddling PDFs are very comfortable....I wear mine at all times. I flipped my sit on top kayak on police outpost lake in September and I would've been in trouble without it. By the way I also carry a safety kit in my kayak.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM

Thanks to those who chose to just answer the question instead of preach. It sounds like I should go spend $100+ before I head out to Wabamun. I do like the ones I've found with extra pockets. Right now everything just sits under my legs in the hull. At least this gives me a practical excuse to justify wearing a PFD beyond avoiding a ticket which (from the sound of it) may or may not get written.

How about the other stuff? Everyone except Okotokian seems to have fixated on the words, "life jacket" and completely ignored the rest of the stuff. The page I linked to suggests (the way I read it) that all of the items I listed are mandatory.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Banned

You need a >750mL bailer, a whistle and a 25m floating line.

Keep in mind that these may not save you, but may save someone else in distress.

I have a 2L buoy that can go on the end of the rope to make it throw farther.

All of these and some extra items like carabiners, and headlamp go in a dry bag (25L from MEC, like $12) so they are easy to find, transport, and store.

Ultimately you have a vest and a small dry bag and no worries.

Be aware that some city by-laws may apply on top of the prov/fed regulations.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Default Preaching

Quote:
Thanks to those who chose to just answer the question instead of preach. It sounds like I should go spend $100+ before I head out to Wabamun. I do like the ones I've found with extra pockets. Right now everything just sits under my legs in the hull. At least this gives me a practical excuse to justify wearing a PFD beyond avoiding a ticket which (from the sound of it) may or may not get written.

How about the other stuff? Everyone except Okotokian seems to have fixated on the words, "life jacket" and completely ignored the rest of the stuff. The page I linked to suggests (the way I read it) that all of the items I listed are mandatory.
Sorry if my post sounded preachy, this was not my intention. I simply want to help you and other forum members stay safe out there by sharing my experiences. While we are on the subject of preaching I feel that a kayaker should practice a self rescue so you aren't wondering what to do if you end up in the water. My $0.02.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
It took me a bit of digging but I finally found the page describing the safety gear you're required to carry in a boat.

With a kayak being (in my case) a single-person boat that can't mount a motor I always assumed that the regulations didn't apply to me. After reading up, it sounds like I may have certain requirements after all. I was just wondering if I could get some clarification from those who have either been checked by F&W or know for sure what the rules are and how rigidly they are enforced on our lakes in practice?

Pretty sure a life jacket and bailer is mandatory. I dont leave shore without these and an extra paddle of some sort. I think a whistle would be a good substitute for an air horn.

Other than that I take the holy trinity of bushcraft, a knife, a compass, and matches in a waterproof case.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.boats View Post
Sorry if my post sounded preachy, this was not my intention. I simply want to help you and other forum members stay safe out there by sharing my experiences. While we are on the subject of preaching I feel that a kayaker should practice a self rescue so you aren't wondering what to do if you end up in the water. My $0.02.
I'm guessing a ticket is more on his mind than safety.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Kind of hard to bail through plastic... That is why the laws themselves say it isn't required for "pleasure craft that has watertight compartments that are sealed and not readily accessible."

Reading the link provided in OP it seems pretty clear you need the following to be officially legal.

Life jacket
Buoyant line
Whistle or horn
Bailer if it is a sit in model
Flash light if travelling at dark

As already mentioned you have to have life jacket with you but don't need to wear it although doing so is a good idea. If not wearing it they have to be in a easily reachable location so can't be in closed compartment etc.

That all said I doubt you will be given any grief as long as you have at least a life jacket. Requiring things like a 50' buoyant line are way overkill in most cases... Problem is that these rules are written to cover the little lakes/rivers here as well as using a kayak out in the ocean etc where it actually is a good idea to have all these things with you.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Have you ever been on a fishing kayak?? This hatch is not considered water tight,(why else would they have drain plugs built in as well)and sits right between my legs,so yes a bailer is required & could be quite useful in an emergency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been on a fishing kayak?? This hatch is not considered water tight,(why else would they have drain plugs built in as well)and sits right between my legs,so yes a bailer is required & could be quite useful in an emergency.
Not all sit on top kayaks have such hatches...
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Not all sit on top kayaks have such hatches...
Most fishing specific models do and many sporting models do as well. I dont know about 50' but IMO a throw line is a good idea in any boat. The type that stuffs into a weighted throw bag takes up very little room and can be invaluable.

Last edited by Cal; 05-18-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Banned

Well I guess we're both wrong than.
Maybe... it is for mandatory for me and pretty much any Ocean Kayak or similar model(Wilderness/Jackson).
And your wrong because of the generalization that all sit on top kayaks don't require a bailer.

Can you show me a pic of this SOT kayak that doesn't have a hatch that is accessible and doesn't run the length of the Yak for large item storage???
Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I will try to clarify this and hope everyone understands.

1. One (1) Canadian-approved personal flotation device or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board

Note: A personal flotation device or lifejacket carried on board a human-powered pleasure craft operated in whitewater must be inherently buoyant. This means inflatable is allowed in any type of kayak except when the kayak is used in whitewater.

2. One (1) buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) long.

3. One (1) bailer or manual bilge pump

OR

Bilge-pumping arrangements

Note: A bailer or manual bilge pump is not required for a pleasure craft that cannot hold enough water to make it capsize or a pleasure craft that has watertight compartments that are sealed and not readily accessible.

Most sit on top Kayaks have water tight compartments, and since most hatches don't easily allow for bailing I would suggest making sure your bailer fits throught the hatch if needed or carry a manual bilge pump or sponge.

4. One (1) sound-signalling appliance that meets the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations

OR

A sound-signalling device

Report a Poacher gives away great little whistles to clip to your pfd.

5. Lights are optional. Check with the regulations to see if you are required to use a light for your location. I always have a light with flag if I am going to be on the water in low light conditions or if it is a really large body of water.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

It's a lost cause. People will still interpret bend and twist their reading of the laws to please themselves anyways. What's the point...
Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Safety

This SMALL list of safety equipment is easy to carry and really why wouldn't a person carry at least that much safety equipment. The floating line that folks think is unessary can be used to line the craft up or down rapids, so now it becomes a tool instead of something that we feel beholden to carry. The PFD, you'll notice also is comfortable, might have handy pockets and also keeps a person warm, if you're unconscious it doesn't matter how good you used to be able to swim. A whistle doesn't take up much room. A bailer can be made of a bottle that was free, it can also store your handy rope and whistle. Actually in a small craft a sponge can bail water quite nicely too, might be worth throwing in. Don't forget matches and fire starter in a waterproof container. I also like to carry a spare pair of shoes, in case I get dumped lose my footwear and have to walk out. Everything in my canoe gets securely tied on so it's there if I dump it. Matches, firestarter and knife are in my pocket in case I get separated from the rest of my equipment

I don't know why people complain about having to carry a minimum of survival equipment if it might actually save a life.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
This SMALL list of safety equipment is easy to carry and really why wouldn't a person carry at least that much safety equipment. The floating line that folks think is unessary can be used to line the craft up or down rapids, so now it becomes a tool instead of something that we feel beholden to carry. The PFD, you'll notice also is comfortable, might have handy pockets and also keeps a person warm, if you're unconscious it doesn't matter how good you used to be able to swim. A whistle doesn't take up much room. A bailer can be made of a bottle that was free, it can also store your handy rope and whistle. Actually in a small craft a sponge can bail water quite nicely too, might be worth throwing in. Don't forget matches and fire starter in a waterproof container. I also like to carry a spare pair of shoes, in case I get dumped lose my footwear and have to walk out. Everything in my canoe gets securely tied on so it's there if I dump it. Matches, firestarter and knife are in my pocket in case I get separated from the rest of my equipment

I don't know why people complain about having to carry a minimum of survival equipment if it might actually save a life.
My thoughts also.
I have been using the PFD suspenders for the last few years and love them , in the canoe, wading in deep muck with my chest waders in the river , in the jet boat, everywhere.
They don't bother me while paddling at all.
As far as the other stuff goes, the whistle is attached to the PFD, the sponge is in the can, and I never go anywhere without matches and tinder in a sealed bag and a length of rope!
Cat
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well I guess we're both wrong than.
Maybe... it is for mandatory for me and pretty much any Ocean Kayak or similar model(Wilderness/Jackson).
And your wrong because of the generalization that all sit on top kayaks don't require a bailer.

Can you show me a pic of this SOT kayak that doesn't have a hatch that is accessible and doesn't run the length of the Yak for large item storage???
I didn't generalize, you did. Another member also did but that is besides the point.

As for your question. Go to google images and type in sit on top kayak... Many models don't have a readily accessible location to bail from. Yes yours does(as does my Trident 13) but that wasn't my point.

The rules are pretty straight forward what is required for what situations. Most people take nothing but a life jacket and I doubt you would get more then a warning for doing so as the extra requirements are really required more for ocean trips or if using the kayak on a really large lake.