Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Lawyer Recommendation....

Friend of mine is calling it quites after many years of unhappiness- I have to give him credit for hanging in there for the kids, but it's time....... to move on. Looking for a good reference for a family lawyer in the area of Edmonton to Edson. He's seen two that just haven't performed to expectations after taking money. Thanks
Old 02-27-2024, 03:56 PM

There’s a guy here that starts a thread on this topic every 6 months. Use search option and there is a lot of info on topic.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:37 PM

Lawyers are not there to help you. Only to make themselves money.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:56 PM

You can do it your self or hire some one to do it .

Its a never ending story .
You get a marriage licence and it comes with no rules, until you get divorced. Then out comes the rules .she gets half and then 40 years later she gets half of your CPP for as many years you have been together .

My advice is hire the Hells angles ....Lol
Old 02-27-2024, 05:23 PM

I feel like I could make a fortune solely as an Outdoorsmen lawyer! There’s no shortage of people on here looking for one! 🤣
Old 02-27-2024, 06:17 PM

If I fished as much as you guys, I'd be looking for one too...
Old 02-27-2024, 06:43 PM

Default Lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Lawyers are not there to help you. Only to make themselves money.
I got out of my divorce with (in hind-sight) was the best advice I received.
Lawyer said give it all to her or give it to me. End of story. I took that scholarly mans advice and never looked back. By far the best decision I have ever made.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty50 View Post
Lawyer said give it all to her or give it to me. End of story. I took that scholarly mans advice and never looked back. By far the best decision I have ever made.
OK, so which way did you go with the alternatives?

Drewski
Old 02-28-2024, 06:42 AM

Did a search and I wa surprised at the results:
- it's quite an industry without the clients best interests in mind.
- I think he is screwed.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
Did a search and I wa surprised at the results:
- it's quite an industry without the clients best interests in mind.
- I think he is screwed.
If people couple settle on terms without a long drawn out process, or going to court, the lawyers would lose a lot of money, so of course they don't want quick/easy settlements.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:39 AM

You really have to watch out for your guns. RCMP will check your Facebook friends and known associate's for your guns. It truly seems to get rcmp juices flowing if they can score a bunch of hunting rifles and heirlooms. Seems like they will fully exploit any opportunity.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty50 View Post
Glad it worked, I had a family member who did the same thing thinking he could leave the lawyer out of it, the decision cost even more in the end. His spouse never worked during the course of their marriage, so he had to pay for both lawyers-the one defending him AND the one attacking him. When she didn't have legal bills herself, naturally the leech of a lawyer she found dreamed-up numerous ways to extend the process and drive his legal bills up for both lawyers. When a divorce process measures in years...that goes past 6 figures.

So yes, 100% be prepared to get bucket-hooped and give more than you get in the interest of getting it pushed down the road quicker, but also lawyer-up fast.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You really have to watch out for your guns. RCMP will check your Facebook friends and known associate's for your guns. It truly seems to get rcmp juices flowing if they can score a bunch of hunting rifles and heirlooms. Seems like they will fully exploit any opportunity.
If I was headed for a nasty divorce, I would absolutely move the bulk of my non restricted firearms to a friends place for safe keeping, and with nothing registered, there isn't any proof of what I even own.
A friend brought his firearms 500km to me for safe keeping, when he was in that situation.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:41 AM

What ever happened to the old country song wisdom "She got the gold mine and he got the shaft". Just 'hope that she does not sell your guns for price you told her you payed for them'.
PS Laws are very clear on divorce in Alberta, she will get the better half.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I was headed for a nasty divorce, I would absolutely move the bulk of my non restricted firearms to a friends place for safe keeping, and with nothing registered, there isn't any proof of what I even own.
A friend brought his firearms 500km to me for safe keeping, when he was in that situation.
A lot of people when a bunch of rcmp cars roll up to their house in full force and pound on the door and say we know you have such and such guys firearms and we want them now. You can do it the easy way or the hard way and we know you have them.
Most people are scared and will do whatever rcmp say. Haha they think police are honest and would not say we know the guns are there if it wasn't true.
God bless you if you would actually stand up for your friend when he needs you because most won't.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
A lot of people when a bunch of rcmp cars roll up to their house in full force and pound on the door and say we know you have such and such guys firearms and we want them now. You can do it the easy way or the hard way and we know you have them.
Most people are scared and will do whatever rcmp say. Haha they think police are honest and would not say we know the guns are there if it wasn't true.
God bless you if you would actually stand up for your friend when he needs you because most won't.
Buy them from your friend for a dollar. Then you don’t have to lie about it.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Unless the firearms are restricted, the police should have no idea what firearms you have. I sold all of the firearms that I had when the long gun registrv was in force. so if they start asking about any of the firearms that I did own then, and that were registered, I will know that they are using the registry that is now illegal, because the federal government ordered the RCMP to destroy it, except for the Quebec data.

That being said, I do know of a couple of instances where firearms disappeared when the husband was away at work. In one case, the wife even admitted to selling the firearms, including the restricted firearms that were registered to the husband. When he reported the illegal sale of the restricted firearms, the RCMP claimed that it was a property issue to be decided by the courts, and they wanted nothing to do with it. He then called the CFC to report the illegal sale, and although they took his report, the wife was not charged with illegally selling the restricted firearms.

So again, if I was in that situation, I would move my non restricted firearms out of the home for safe keeping, until the divorce was settled.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
You can do it your self or hire some one to do it .

Its a never ending story .
You get a marriage licence and it comes with no rules, until you get divorced. Then out comes the rules .she gets half and then 40 years later she gets half of your CPP for as many years you have been together .

My advice is hire the Hells angles ....Lol
Which is scarier? Obtuse or acute? Maybe reflex or how about straight? Not sure which direction a person could go on this advice?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-28-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
From the first go around he has been without a valid acquisition license for 1.5 years.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Yeah that would work except sometimes the RCMP only follows the law when they can use it against you. If you admit to them that you bought them I would be worried the RCMP would I seize everything you have in house. Basically say you were holding the guns ,powder,etc for him,charge you with some made up charge and tell you that you can get your guns back when you go to court which won't be for years and will cost you more than its worth.
Best thing is to never answer door and not be home when they come. Nothing good will come out of answering your door bell.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless the firearms are restricted, the police should have no idea what firearms you have. I sold all of the firearms that I had when the long gun registrv was in force. so if they start asking about any of the firearms that I did own then, and that were registered, I will know that they are using the registry that is now illegal, because the federal government ordered the RCMP to destroy it, except for the Quebec data.

That being said, I do know of a couple of instances where firearms disappeared when the husband was away at work. In one case, the wife even admitted to selling the firearms, including the restricted firearms that were registered to the husband. When he reported the illegal sale of the restricted firearms, the RCMP claimed that it was a property issue to be decided by the courts, and they wanted nothing to do with it. He then called the CFC to report the illegal sale, and although they took his report, the wife was not charged with illegally selling the restricted firearms.

So again, if I was in that situation, I would move my non restricted firearms out of the home for safe keeping, until the divorce was settled.
Yeah I wouldn't even post on forum about anything you own or put anything on Facebook.
I just keep renewing my license so I can tell them how dirty and crooked some of the turds police are. Give me a chance to remind them of what they did to me. How ashamed they should be.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
From the first go around he has been without a valid acquisition license for 1.5 years.
Warn him and use imagination how not to get screwed over.