Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 AM

Default looking for a mechanic.....

got a 1991 voyager lx.bought her brand new off the floor in 91....... starter or something gave up the ghost last week...all lights work, battery is full up, just nothing but a very faint noise when you put the key in the start the car position.no it is not a clicking sound, and the posts on the battery have been cleaned....could it be A: a relay? B starter.will pay csh, need to have it running...thx....mooseburger
Old 10-30-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseburger View Post
got a 1991 voyager lx.bought her brand new off the floor in 91....... starter or something gave up the ghost last week...all lights work, battery is full up, just nothing but a very faint noise when you put the key in the start the car position.no it is not a clicking sound, and the posts on the battery have been cleaned....could it be A: a relay? B starter.will pay csh, need to have it running...thx....mooseburger
Where abouts are you located? Oh and is this bob?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM

sounds like the starter

they are gear reduction starters...

if you know the strarters you can get a contact kit and rebuild it or just replace the starteer
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Suspended User

Try tapping on the side of the starter itself with a small hammer. Not banging but tapping. They sometimes get a little dead spot on the armature. Works best if you can have a helper turn the key. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:46 PM

starter could be a solenoid.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM

Default starter

I had a 92 Grand Voyager-finally got rid of it at near to 300,000km. Not a bad vehicle for a family.

I replaced the starter three times, and got pretty good at it. It is located in the front of the engine and is replaced from down below. Kind of a pain to do on your backside, but do-able. There is also a starter relay on the side of the fender (drivers side) that should be checked as well.

One thing I did learn was to buy a quality starter. The first two had a lesser warranty and the third one was a longer warranty.

It is worth checking them out . . .

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 AM

Default starter relay????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soreneck Racing View Post
I had a 92 Grand Voyager-finally got rid of it at near to 300,000km. Not a bad vehicle for a family.

I replaced the starter three times, and got pretty good at it. It is located in the front of the engine and is replaced from down below. Kind of a pain to do on your backside, but do-able. There is also a starter relay on the side of the fender (drivers side) that should be checked as well.

One thing I did learn was to buy a quality starter. The first two had a lesser warranty and the third one was a longer warranty.

It is worth checking them out . . .
what does that starter relay look like? can you give me more information on it...thanks.pat