Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 AM

Default Anybody using their RV while at work and what are you charging?

Like the title says, if any of you are using your camper for work and charging, what is the going rate? One of my employees just presented me with a personal invoice for use of motorhome for $260 a day x 28 days. He asked if he could camp instead of staying in a hotel, I said sure we will pay for the fuel there and back, campground fees plus we pay subsistence for everyday out of town. No agreement was made, just wondering what some of your guys thoughts are on the matter?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM

If you are paying sub and camping fees that is all he should get. What do you pay if he stayed in a hotel or camp? If he CHOOSES to stay in his motorhome then that is what sub is for.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM

He should only be charging what the room rate would be .If your paying fuel plus camp fees it should not be more than this,Sounds like a sweet deal he has.You hiring?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 AM

$7,280 a month for a motor home to rent? Tell your employee I will rent my 14 1/2 ft Zodiac with 20hp Yamaha for $6,000 a month,,,lol

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Fuel, campground fees, and normal LOA that would be paid to the guys in the hotel sounds to be what you agreed to pay. So if you figure hotel room + subsistence as your LOA if it meets or is over the 260 a day he's charging then that's that. If it's under, then you might want to discuss it with him. No reason he should cost more for living out of his motorhome.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 AM

I would say, 'nice try'
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM

$260 a day for staying in a camper rather than a hotel? that seems awfully steep to me, how expensive are hotel rooms in the area? It sounds like he is trying to find a way to line his pockets on top of getting payed. Perhaps pay his expenses + a little for staying in his camper rather than the hotel. I say try to find somewhere in the middle, cheaper than the hotel but a little to him for his troubles, just find out what that middle ground is, perhaps camping expenses+ $50 a day or something, I know I would be alright with something like that.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM

ignore my last post. i'm an idiot.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM

We pay for hotel room, roughly $100/night and $50 LOA. Company supplies fuel card and company truck. If one of our guys asked what your guy is asking then he/she would not get anymore than $150/day.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Hotels in the area are around $125.00, nothing major. I am going to offer to give him the $125.00 a day minus camping fees, minus the fuel. If he doesn't like it then he can f off! Technically he did save the company that amount of money for not having to pay a hotel, but that is not the agreement we had when he left. Employees seem to be getting worse and worse, the sense of entitlement some of them have is mind boggling some days.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM

I charge 220 a day to stay in my trailer and I know thats on the highside as im a inspector but I pay for the camp site the welders and fiters on this job are getting 160 a day and pay there own campsite and fuel
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM

I don't use mine for work but if I did I would say $150 max.The going rate for a 12x60 wellsite shack is 180-190, if you figure in trucking costs to move the shack on short jobs I would say $150 is saving you money. Depends on the situation ie location, If the guy is dragging his 70K 5th wheel down the bigstone I would probably charge $260 too, have you figured in cost savings for reduced km charges.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM

The campsite is farther away from the worksite than the hotels are. He uses a company service unit paid with company fuel to and from work. He is camping in a campsite right off the highway. Guess I should have put everything in writing before he left.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
The campsite is farther away from the worksite than the hotels are. He uses a company service unit paid with company fuel to and from work. He is camping in a campsite right off the highway. Guess I should have put everything in writing before he left.
Easy,what does it cost to rent a truck plus fuel.Charge him that against his $250 a day.If he ain`t vital to the job I`d run him off.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Easy,what does it cost to rent a truck plus fuel.Charge him that against his $250 a day.If he ain`t vital to the job I`d run him off.
HA HA

I was thinking what a great place we live. Back east trying this may cost you your job.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM

In my experience, all employees got the same amount per day (LOA => Living Out Allowance). Where they stay, what they eat and any expenses incurred are their responsibility, nothing more or nothing less than anyone else on the crew. It was a fixed rate, nothing variable.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Like the title says, if any of you are using your camper for work and charging, what is the going rate? One of my employees just presented me with a personal invoice for use of motorhome for $260 a day x 28 days. He asked if he could camp instead of staying in a hotel, I said sure we will pay for the fuel there and back, campground fees plus we pay subsistence for everyday out of town. No agreement was made, just wondering what some of your guys thoughts are on the matter?
120$-140$ per day he's working + fuel + sub. is the going rate. Usually the campgound fees aren't part of that deal.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Was this his personal motorhome or a rental?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Find some one else, give him sub and thats it. Tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM

500$/week or 1700$/month would be a reasonable fair market value if he had rented the RV somewhere.

280$/day is completely unreasonable and an attempt to bend you over.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM

depends. If this is a flood related short term fix...then he should be paid cost. If this is a work related thing then normally companies have an allowance....$X amount accommodation and $X amount for food.

If he wants to rough it...and pay for the unit then so be it. If he is closer to the operation site that is a good thing. What ever the cost of the average hotel and food allowance is fair.

You could try and nickel and dime the guy down but to what purpose? If he stays in the hotel and eats at the restaurant you pay the full amount.

For fairness and simplicity...allocate the room and board allowance and pay it out fairly to all.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM

We do not have a set amount except for sub, we pay accommodations and fuel for the work trucks. I had a room booked but he decided he would rather stay at a campsite. I said fine we will pay the fuel there and back plus campsite fees, I even said if he needed propane to use the company card. Then he gets back and throws an invoice at me. Caught me off guard is all. This is completely out of sorts for the employee who I do consider an important member of the team, but this just seems offside to me. The geographics we tend to work in there is either a hotel or it is camp work. My GM told me today this is why he doesn't want people using their own equipment, that and they break it and want the company to fix it because it happened while away at work. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Make him explain it.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 PM

Living out allowance for unionized building trades is $220 per day up here, so that may be a bench mark for you.
It's less down south.
Cat
Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM

Me thinks buddy wants you to pay off his motor home right quick.
JMO
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM

You didn't say where all this took place. My union contract says I should be paid $50 for meals plus hotel room. I can take $120 as a LOA. It is my choice. The other option is to cover his expenses, campground fees, grocerys and other things. If he can come up with the bills, pay him.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Edson/Whitecourt area. We pay 60 a day for sub plus pay accommodation and fuel for work vehicles. We have no issues paying that but the understanding we had when he left was sub, fuel there and back for the motorhome and campground fees. Then when he gets back he throws an invoice at me for 7300 bucks... Surprising start to the week.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM

I work non camp on my rig all the time. Sub is 140 a day that is it. No if ands and buts. Camp site a month would run hime any were from 600 to 1000. So I don't see the need for such a high bill. If he is a sub contractor then he might be claiming it as is office. But I don't know. My thought is pay him then fire him. No need to let him rape you with that cost.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM

I've stayed in my trailer for work and we kind of met in the middle on what we would charge. We would get $50/day for sub and the room was paid for (about $150/night). So when we lived in our trailers we got paid $50/day sub and we charged $80/night for our trailers (we paid all camping fees out of that). Instead of the company paying $200/day for us to live they paid $130/day. I kind of see where he is coming from. If your willing to pay lets say The Best Western $200/night why not give him the $200/night. The arrangement we had saved the company a little money and put a little money in our pockets. Win/Win for both.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 AM

SUB is all he should be getting.
Where an employee stays is up to him.

I've gotten $100.00 to $180.00 SUB.

Truck is separate & taxed (now).
I've gotten $100.00 to $160.00/day & the companies have always paid fuel.

If you need a hoe operator let me know. Off to the end of July......