Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Default Stelfox Loop Info?

I intend to be going for a bit of a walk in a few weeks. As part of it, I'm considering incorporating a portion of the Stelfox Loop. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I'm considering using the north and northeast portions of the loop (including Whitegoat Pass) to bypass the lower sections Coral Creek from which I intend to then proceed northwest via the creek. I will be on foot. If anyone could provide any of the following information I would be greatly appreciative.

How is the trail (elevation gain, convolutions etc.)?
Any recent reports on washouts or water damage?
How is the push to Whitegoat Pass?

and most importantly:

In your opinion, is the additional elevation gain up, over and down from Whitegoat Pass worth the effort with the intentions of bypassing some of the many fords on the lower section of the Coral Creek Trail?

All information is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Steven Noel
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Anyone?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Wish I could help, you'll post pic's right?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Wish I could help, you'll post pic's right?
Most definitely.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM

I was just up that way, today in fact. Went up the whitegoat creek trail. I did not see that stelfox loop trail head and was half kinda looking for it, I would have definitely gone passed it just missed it. I did not see the trail before but I am assuming from the condition of the trail now the washout is considerable. Much of the whitegoat creek trail is up and out of the creek bed but where it travels close to it is now all but gone, and you have to pay attention to where the trail leaves the creek bed or you will walk right past it and be stuck in the creek bed until you can find where they merge again.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Haven't been up there this year but last year there was a lot of washouts where the trail runs beside the creek. Can only imagine it will be worse now. It is a pretty easy hike to the white goat pass trail head. My dad who has had 2 heart attacks has done the little horn pass and Stelfox loop a few times. The trail for the white goat pass is just before the big log on the left side of the trail. Little horn pass has really cool hoodoos if you are going that far. When the wind blows through them you have to yell to be heard. Kinda cool