Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 PM

Default Sundance road

Has anyone here ever taken the sundance road south from edson down to the elk river road?
If so...how long a drive is it? (in hrs, not km,)
What is the road like? Unmaintained gravel?
Can I pull my travel trailer down it?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Its gravel and as busy as the Trans Canada Hwy. I wouldnt beat up my holiday trailer on it.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM

I did this last year, Edson to Drayton. Narrow windy gravel road. Log trucks everywhere. Had a couple of scary moments. I would not take a trailer down that road.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 PM

How about RR 150 south? I'm looking to take a shortcut and find a nice little pull off the road to put the trailer over night and maybe do some
Quadding/hiking around
Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM

I have pulled a fifth wheel down RR 150, it's not too bad, some spots of washboard.

Just after Minnow Lake you'll go down a slight hill and on the left side of the road there is a dirt road that takes you to a nice spot right beside a creek (maybe 100 yards off the gravel road). Looks like a popular spot for quadders.

Beyond Minnow Lake is Wolf Lake. If you take the road into Wolf Lake, just across from the campsite entrance is a gravel lot (another popular place for campers and quadders. Beyond Wolf Lake, I have driven it to Elk River Road, but don't recall seeing any camping spots (not to say there aren't any).
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM

The Sundance is radio controlled and is very busy right now. If you have to take your trailer down there then rent or borrow a radio. The road is narrow and full of blind curves.

When you meet a loaded logging truck at a narrow spot on the road you will have to put yourself and your trailer into the ditch. I won't take my trailer down this road.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absk View Post
The Sundance is radio controlled and is very busy right now. If you have to take your trailer down there then rent or borrow a radio. The road is narrow and full of blind curves.

When you meet a loaded logging truck at a narrow spot on the road you will have to put yourself and your trailer into the ditch. I won't take my trailer down this road.
X2!

Another important point is it's sundances private road, those logs trucks don't pull over. Essentially you are trespassing. I wouldn't take my holiday trailer down it.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Out of curiosity...how could I have found out sundance is a private, radio controlled, loaded logging road? None of my, vast collection, of maps indicate this
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracing_23 View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
Out of curiosity...how could I have found out sundance is a private, radio controlled, loaded logging road? None of my, vast collection, of maps indicate this
The maps don't show but I believe there is a sign at the road head indicating private road and the frequency to use. Radio control is getting more popular on these roads, to the point that the truckers are using the radio even on roads that aren't "radio controlled". That can be a double edged sword - they drive thinking that they know where the traffic is and may slide a little to the inside on the corners and Bam! there you are. Twenty minute cardio in seconds.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 PM

Default More stuff I forgot in the first one

Those roads aren't that bad especially now that things have dried up. Yes there is some rough stuff and the odd bit of washboard. Then again - I travel in the bush most of my day and I'm used to it. If it's been raining lots don't go or in the spring as the frost is coming out. The cost of the radios has really come down in the past few years so it might be something to look into if you plan on spending a lot of time in the area.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Your best bet would be RR 150 better known as the wolf lake road, it is a little wash boardy in sections but is a maintained big wide highgrade road that is not radio controlled. once you hit the elk river road and hang a left you will be on the pavement in 15km or so.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 PM

When i was out in edson, i hated coming around corners to find guys that werent calling their kms cause they had no radio. Had a few scary situations.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Definately Wolf Lake road over the Sundance.
Will take less than half the time and you'll actually arrive alive.
Is it trespassing? I was under the impression the land is leased by the company and they could only restrict commercial traffic.
The big problem with radios out here is that many of the roads have their own frequencies. I know our work radios we had to pay $30 or something to get them tuned into a new frequency if required for a road.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
X2!

Another important point is it's sundances private road, those logs trucks don't pull over. Essentially you are trespassing. I wouldn't take my holiday trailer down it.
Sundance holds the road under a LOC. As Joe Q Public you are not trespassing if you are using the road as LOC holders cannot restrict public access unless it is a condition of the LOC.

Commercial users can be restricted unless they have a road use agreement with Sundance.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Sundance holds the road under a LOC. As Joe Q Public you are not trespassing if you are using the road as LOC holders cannot restrict public access unless it is a condition of the LOC.

Commercial users can be restricted unless they have a road use agreement with Sundance.
Thanks for the clarification.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
When i was out in edson, i hated coming around corners to find guys that werent calling their kms cause they had no radio. Had a few scary situations.
I don't know what the issue is.
This is normal in BC... narrow roads, and off road loggers and hunters.
You'd see the drivers reach for the radio to let their mates know where they spotted you...every time.
Often... trucks would pull over for a minute to let the light traffic pass....similarly if we saw a truck coming and the road was narrow...we'd pull over and let them by....especially if they were down hill and heavy.

BUT...it was important to maintain the same speed so they could estimate your position.

It worked well... a bit of courtessy extended from both recreational and commercial users and incidents were virtually unheard of.

In fact the only time I can recall running into a problem was when a fellow jackknifed and dumped his load on Whiteswan lake road...right in front of us....and that had nothing to do with the traffic situation.

The up side was that we were there to help the driver and to help clear the road.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM

If you do travel the road without a radio, just wait at a pullout for one of the trucks to go by in your direction. Follow him and pull over when he does to let the traffic go by. He will let the other road users know you are travelling behind him. This will prevent those blind corner surprises that scare the crap out of you
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
If you do travel the road without a radio, just wait at a pullout for one of the trucks to go by in your direction. Follow him and pull over when he does to let the traffic go by. He will let the other road users know you are travelling behind him. This will prevent those blind corner surprises that scare the crap out of you

A common sense solution...right there.
Who woulda thunk it could happen here?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM

Thanks Big Daddy. That's what we used to do before they made radios mandatory.
I was travelling on the trunk road near Muskeg Corner and the guy driving wouldn't wait for a truck to follow. He was speeding down the icy road and we met a loaded logger coming up a hill. There was nowhere for us to go but the ditch. We never rolled but the trailer we were pulling broke the hitch off the truck and it flipped.
We were driving a 3 ton body job loaded with 2000 kg of seismic dynamite and detonators. Talk about pucker power!! The loggers were pretty ****ed off when they found out what we were hauling. A lot of crap hit the fan after that. I avoided travelling with the idiot driver after that
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM

Just a note that the bridge at km 44.5 over the Pembina river on the sundance rd will be closed until after the first week in oct.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Hey Fickell they arnt putting a real bridge in there are they?Or just fixing the old one?