Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2022, 05:53 PM

Default Sylvan lake

So no more updates from Sylvan lake since Zip went to the states?What been happening out there let's hear what has been going on?I have been out last two Saturday's missed yesterday but previous two got limit both day's.How about you all how it been going?
Old 02-06-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterx View Post
So no more updates from Sylvan lake since Zip went to the states?What been happening out there let's hear what has been going on?I have been out last two Saturday's missed yesterday but previous two got limit both day's.How about you all how it been going?

I am new to ice fishing, been to RR23 4weeks in a row only caught 2 whites. It’s really tough for the newbies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2022, 11:12 PM

Been out twice in last two weeks 5 bites 3 landed total. All bites have been within 2 minutes of dropping my lure down the hole.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:49 PM

What is the access like this year at RR23? I drive a Honda Civic, so maybe 6" clearance. Is it packed down enough to the drop-off that I can drive out? Or will I need to park and sled out?
Old 02-07-2022, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
What is the access like this year at RR23? I drive a Honda Civic, so maybe 6" clearance. Is it packed down enough to the drop-off that I can drive out? Or will I need to park and sled out?

My Camry get on the lake with no problem. Yours civic should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2022, 10:25 AM

Had a civic parked over by where we were this past weekend, you should be good to go.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:44 AM

Don't feel bad fishing for whites can be very frustrating. Sylvan Lake has experienced heavy pressure since not many people going to Gull anymore. Thinking maybe time for limits to drop or we will have another Pigeon Lake, Gull Lake on our hands. Do not give up one day you will find them start shallow work deeper . Good luck.

Happy Lines
Old 02-07-2022, 11:56 AM

The Whitefish population issues at Pigeon have nothing to do with over-keeping. Gull on the other hand is a different story. Agree Sylvan is well on its way to being the next Gull.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:03 PM

Oh yes, I totally agree with you on Pigeon Lake that is a whole other story.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:07 PM

drove by Sylvan this weekend on my way to Cow.

What a zoo RR23, Palm Bay and Sunbreaker were. I have no plans to fish there this winter, have always not done well.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:26 PM

Default I love Sylvan!

I started ice fishing last season and my son took me to Sylvan. The 3 times we went we had so much action that it became our favorite lake. Being new to ice fishing, we tried Gull Lake and also got some pike and walleye. What's the story about Gull Lake? Has it become unproductive? I don't keep. I generally catch & release. Is Gull Lake over-fished? Pigeon Lake too? Haven't been to Pigeon.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the ice condition updates!
Old 02-07-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign_Man View Post
I started ice fishing last season and my son took me to Sylvan. The 3 times we went we had so much action that it became our favorite lake. Being new to ice fishing, we tried Gull Lake and also got some pike and walleye. What's the story about Gull Lake? Has it become unproductive? I don't keep. I generally catch & release. Is Gull Lake over-fished? Pigeon Lake too? Haven't been to Pigeon.
Heavy fishing pressure for Whitefish on Gull over the years took its toll on the population. Sylvan is on the exact same trajectory as if the limit allows it people will exploit it (and then some).
Old 02-07-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Heavy fishing pressure for Whitefish on Gull over the years took its toll on the population. Sylvan is on the exact same trajectory as if the limit allows it people will exploit it (and then some).
Thank you!
Old 02-07-2022, 11:04 PM

Combination of pressure and mismanagement haven’t been kind to those lakes, I’m shocked they are as productive as they still are although they are a shadow what they were. Allowing for the removal of some walleye should help rebuild the base of prey fish such as perch and whitefish which honestly those are what most people want to fish for anyways there.