Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Default 16 and 20 gauge steel load - Reloading

Finally got my hands on the new brwng A5 sweet 16, this was my first 16 gauge and I got it after doing some considerable amount of hunting and shooting with the other 4 gauges (12, 20, 28 & .410).

Love it so far, I think if I were to startover again, I would definetly stick with a 16 gauge, i think its the perfect bore for any and all sorts of wingshooting.

Anyhow, I reloaded some light 7/8 oz loads for trap and some 1oz field loads for both my 16 and 20 using imr 700x and 800x.

Now I am looking into reloading some non toxic shells for the duck season. Already found some 20 gauge steel wads but dont know where to get the 16 steel wads from? Tried emailing bilozir a few weeks back but never got a reply.

I know some of you like reloading steel, so whats your go to receipe? Can I use alliant steel for both 16 and 20? I ordered a bag of #2 steel shot and I am planning on using some hevi shot 3inch hulls for the 20 and federal 2 3/4" field hulls for the 16. Have cheddite and winchester 209 primers.
My favorite 20 ga shell is the hevi steel #2, I would love to replicate their performance. Any advantages to using shot buffer to make a tighter crimp?

Thanks