Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Pheasant Release Site Update

HI

Was looking for the thread on the Pheasant Release Site Update but I can't seem to find it. Does anybody know what happen to the thread? I know it was there last Friday and had at least 2 or 3 pages.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM

Gone!
I will provide an update with this post. Was at Daysland for an hour and a half this morning, and only found one rooster, which was right next to the highway, so no shots fired. No shots heard during the time that I was there. The dog found a porcupine West of the water toward the North end of the site. I didn't see the porcupine, just a few quills in the dog, so the hazard is still present.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 PM

I was wondering the same thing about that thread. I can tell you that I went to Hopewell this afternoon, and saw a bunch of guys standing in the field just back from the road. I assumed they were waiting for the truck, which didn't come. I hiked into the back end of the site and put over 8 km on the boots (which means the dog did about 20), but never found a pheasant (though there were a couple of beautiful points on Meadowlarks!). Heard 1 shot in 3.5 hours. Similar story on Friday. Got 1 bird, heard 3 shots in 2.5 hours.

Sorry to hear about Butch, eh11. Hope he's doing well.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 PM

I was at buffalo this morning. Never saw a pheasant and it was my first trip with a new pup who's never actually seen a pheasant in his short life so I was blaming it on the dog. I was only out for about an hour and then I got called home. Heard a few shots as I was getting back to the truck but until then assumed I had the place to myself as I hadn't seen anyone.
Hope your dog is doing alright from the quills. The last time I was at buffalo was around 2000 or 2001 and the lab I had at the time found about half a doz porcupines in the short time we were there. She knew what they were all about so she didn't get any quills in the face but she would bail them up until I came along to shoot them. I was worried I would find some there again today but luckily didn't find any.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I was wondering the same thing about that thread. I can tell you that I went to Hopewell this afternoon, and saw a bunch of guys standing in the field just back from the road. I assumed they were waiting for the truck, which didn't come. I hiked into the back end of the site and put over 8 km on the boots (which means the dog did about 20), but never found a pheasant (though there were a couple of beautiful points on Meadowlarks!). Heard 1 shot in 3.5 hours. Similar story on Friday. Got 1 bird, heard 3 shots in 2.5 hours.

Sorry to hear about Butch, eh11. Hope he's doing well.
Quills are out. Had a few in his snout, a couple in his lips, and two in his mouth. When we got home, I found two broken off stubs in one paw and removed them. From what I am seeing Monday and Friday mornings have had the fewest birds by far, and Saturday has the most. The weekends see the most hunters, and they seem to be releasing the most birds for the weekend.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Banned

Yeh, I was wondering about that thread myself. There was a lot of traffic at South Plain on Sunday, but not many gunshots heard. It was a beautifull day but very windy.
Might head out again on Tuesday or Wednsday, though weatherman calling for rain. I'm not sure if they still send release truck out when it's raining, but I'm hoping they do.
I'm also hoping to harvest some more Mallard ducks next trip. This is the best year for Mallards in at least 10-20 years.
Good luck and stay safe.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 PM

To answer the question, a very good thread was deleted because of ridiculous infighting that is the same as derails. People complained about the stupid bickering. It won't be tolerated going forward. Read between the lines. Let's keep this one productive for hunters looking for information. Enough said.

As for the sites, the three I've hunted on weekends have held birds. Good luck boys.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
To answer the question, a very good thread was deleted because of ridiculous infighting that is the same as derails. People complained about the stupid bickering. It won't be tolerated going forward. Read between the lines.
Enough said.
Thank you sns. Lets keep this thread civil, informative and polite.
Pics are always good. I would like to see who can harvest the largest pheasant this year. Beak to end of tail. So far they have been on the small side, but they are growing quick.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM

Checked out Hopewell for the first time today.

Dog flushed 2 and shot 1, but it took a few hours of work and a lot of walking.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Gone!
I will provide an update with this post. Was at Daysland for an hour and a half this morning, and only found one rooster, which was right next to the highway, so no shots fired. No shots heard during the time that I was there. The dog found a porcupine West of the water toward the North end of the site. I didn't see the porcupine, just a few quills in the dog, so the hazard is still present.
Sorry to hear about your dog. Iv'e had it happen more then once, (or Twice).
Funny thing, you'd think they would learn from thier first encounter, but no, they just drive in face first the next time they meet one.
Sounds like you got off lucky this time with just a few quills to pull. Could have been a huge mess and expensive vet bill's.
It can happen to the smartest dog.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:47 PM

45 mins this evening. Warden was too excited early and flushed the first 5 birds long. Then he got tired and flushed close. 8 flushes, three shots, two birds. He flushed 3 more after we retooled for an evening duck hunt (3 gadwall, 1 mallard).

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Nice work, teach!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Went to south plain today, dogs first day out on pheasants. Some praises, some wtf's, some arguments, some good shots. Overall good day and it was actually pretty good day in regards to weather. Nobody got overheated. Question I have for you guys, ek11, sns, and others. Has anyone found birds on the east 1/4? We have wandered around there and have yet to put up a rooster over there. Also does anyone know if there has been any releases on the DU land to the east of the ACA site? As Far East I have put up birds is the main north south tree line at the half way mark. Thanks all. By the way, we got our limit today and left some educated boys for you all to chase tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

I left Edm in pouring rain till Elk Island Park and came back to Edm in pouring rain from Elk Island Park. In between it was a great day out at South Plain. Not a drop of rain but it was windy. I got my limit quickly, though I only saw 5 pheasants today. I don't think there has been a release in a few days. Only saw one other truck all day with 2 fellows in blaze. I did hear some shots so I'm guessing they bagged a few.
I also did some puddle jumping and harvested 6 Mallards. Sure would be nice to have a retriever. Great year for Mallards.
Here is my best pheasant today. 31" beak to tail end IMG_3732.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I left Edm in pouring rain till Elk Island Park and came back to Edm in pouring rain from Elk Island Park. In between it was a great day out at South Plain. Not a drop of rain but it was windy. I got my limit quickly, though I only saw 5 pheasants today. I don't think there has been a release in a few days. Only saw one other truck all day with 2 fellows in blaze. I did hear some shots so I'm guessing they bagged a few.
I also did some puddle jumping and harvested 6 Mallards. Sure would be nice to have a retriever. Great year for Mallards.
Here is my best pheasant today. 31" beak to tail end Attachment 137801

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you the guy in the van? We popped 2 right off the bat and then dog went rogue for a bit. Regrouped and got serious and limited out..
Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Were you the guy in the van? We popped 2 right off the bat and then dog went rogue for a bit. Regrouped and got serious and limited out..
Yeh, that was me. I was chasing down a cripple when you pulled up, Or I might have said hello. I took the van because I thought it would be raining, and you can keep chit dry and move around in a van. Who knew the weather would be so nice in that area?

Did you hear that Moose calling when you were getting ready for your hunt?

Last edited by waterninja; 09-19-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Went to south plain today, dogs first day out on pheasants. Some praises, some wtf's, some arguments, some good shots. Overall good day and it was actually pretty good day in regards to weather. Nobody got overheated. Question I have for you guys, ek11, sns, and others. Has anyone found birds on the east 1/4? We have wandered around there and have yet to put up a rooster over there. Also does anyone know if there has been any releases on the DU land to the east of the ACA site? As Far East I have put up birds is the main north south tree line at the half way mark. Thanks all. By the way, we got our limit today and left some educated boys for you all to chase tomorrow.
\

Nice to hear you had a good day. To answer your question, we shot one bird on the new Vanderberg quarter on the far east side.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 PM

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-20-2017, 05:24 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Love chasing these birds!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 AM

Smile

Quote:
Yeh, that was me. I was chasing down a cripple when you pulled up, Or I might have said hello. I took the van because I thought it would be raining, and you can keep chit dry and move around in a van. Who knew the weather would be so nice in that area?

Did you hear that Moose calling when you were getting ready for your hunt?
I'm looking for an old van for that very reason. i have my eye out for an Astro or the gmc version in an awd so to be able to have a little bit better traction when it gets a bit greasy. We did hear that moose and were unsure if it was that or if you had someone duct taped up in your van. we did see a limping rooster when we left just where your van was parked. as well for the day we saw a decent bull moose just west of the golf course at two hills and another over by warspite wandering around out in the open. They're definitely on the move. we might go down to days land on the weekend so if you're into that maybe we could meet up. i have not been there so wouldn't mind a little bit of a heads up when going out there so as not to be wandering around aimlessly all day. i have talked to the aca guy about them releasing on the other 1/4 but that seems to be a no go. i wish i lived closer and i would personally do releases out there so to spread the birds out a little bit better. its tough waking out there with that tall grass. or i may be getting old.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm looking for an old van for that very reason. i have my eye out for an Astro or the gmc version in an awd so to be able to have a little bit better traction when it gets a bit greasy. We did hear that moose and were unsure if it was that or if you had someone duct taped up in your van. we did see a limping rooster when we left just where your van was parked. as well for the day we saw a decent bull moose just west of the golf course at two hills and another over by warspite wandering around out in the open. They're definitely on the move. we might go down to days land on the weekend so if you're into that maybe we could meet up. i have not been there so wouldn't mind a little bit of a heads up when going out there so as not to be wandering around aimlessly all day. i have talked to the aca guy about them releasing on the other 1/4 but that seems to be a no go. i wish i lived closer and i would personally do releases out there so to spread the birds out a little bit better. its tough waking out there with that tall grass. or i may be getting old.
I never know for sure when I'm heading out. Depends on weather a lot of times. I got stubborn yesterday because if the weather had been miserable I would have at least checked some trail cams I have up in the area.
Does your dog also retrieve ducks? That would really come in handy with all the Mallards this year. I had to resort to waders or a fishing rod yesterday to retrieve a few.
P.S. That Moose call has never failed when hunting pheasants. lol
Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Does anyone know the best place to park at Hopewell? Don't want to be anywhere I am not supposed to be.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Please be considerate

I was at Hopewell yesterday and was more that a little annoyed with what I observed. The property surrounding the area has numerous acreages and homes and as result it all heavily posted. As I arrived I saw two groups of hunters using their dogs to try to flush pheasants that were feeding in the stubble in the land that was posted. After there were unsuccessful they kept patrolling the road. I assume they were hoping that they could find one in the ditch. While what they were doing may have been 'technically legal since they didn't enter the posted land, but was it the smart or right thing to do. It seems to be very selfish and short sighted. I think we have to be really aware of negative relations this is going to cause with the public.
I feel we are really fortunate to have Hopewell within a short distance of Calgary. It a great place to hunt, or even just run your dog when the birds have been shot out. However, if we continue to abuse this privilege and foster bad relations with the residents of area, I'm afraid we'll loose this opportunity.

So you don't see any birds, or you didn't get your limit, big deal!!!! The fun should come from the experience, and I don't think worth p*&&ing off the public so you can bring a bird home. IMO its just not worth it!

I'll end my rant....
Old 09-20-2017, 01:54 PM

Tried Hopewell on Monday, got there at 10:30. Field was full of hunters, didn't even stop the truck turned around and went back home. Took the girlfriend and daughter on a nice drive on the powderface trail instead. side note C/O's were everywhere on that trail.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:59 PM

Opening day at Hopewell there was a gentleman on the south side of the parcel on private land hunting it with his dog, by the reservoir. He stopped to chat with us as we were on the Hopewell side of things and stopped to talk to him, and our dogs greeted each other. We were a little shocked when I asked him if we were allowed to hunt there, and he said there wasn't anything posted that it wasn't allowed, so he just did...

I just shook my head afterwards and we went on our merry way. Private land means little to people I guess. Some people think it's OK to trespass when you're hunting, is the feeling I got.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Fellow AO member arrowdog and myself went for a 40 minute walk at Daysland today. My dog found four roosters, we fired four shots, and four birds came home with us. We heard no shots other than our own while we were there, but one pair of hunters with a dog were leaving with four birds when we arrived.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Well had a bit of long day.

This morning went back to Hopewell. Spent a couple hours there... a lot of people hunting and hanging out along the road but it didn't sound like there was much action. My dog found one dead rooster and I missed the only one he flushed.

Unsatisfied, I decided to check out Bigelow, as I had the day off. After the long drive, and 10 minutes in, it started raining. The rain picked up so after an hour of wet trudging, headed back. I drove to a different area of the site and hung out until the rain stopped. Headed out again, resoaking myself in the long wet grass. Eventually found the roosters, hanging out in the thickest scrub. The dog flushed several, but most were not shootable. With some effort got my two roosters.

Put on about 24 000 steps according to the iPhone, goodness knows how much mileage the dog put on. He'll sleep well tonight.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Well had a bit of long day.

This morning went back to Hopewell. Spent a couple hours there... a lot of people hunting and hanging out along the road but it didn't sound like there was much action. My dog found one dead rooster and I missed the only one he flushed.

Unsatisfied, I decided to check out Bigelow, as I had the day off. After the long drive, and 10 minutes in, it started raining. The rain picked up so after an hour of wet trudging, headed back. I drove to a different area of the site and hung out until the rain stopped. Headed out again, resoaking myself in the long wet grass. Eventually found the roosters, hanging out in the thickest scrub. The dog flushed several, but most were not shootable. With some effort got my two roosters.

Put on about 24 000 steps according to the iPhone, goodness knows how much mileage the dog put on. He'll sleep well tonight.
Congrats jad. Sounds like you had to work a bit which can add to the experiance, but I never liked hunting in the rain.
Any big roosters? 31" leading the pack. lol
Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Congrats jad. Sounds like you had to work a bit which can add to the experiance, but I never liked hunting in the rain.
Any big roosters? 31" leading the pack. lol
One was better than average, but didn't measure the bird. Certainly had a long tail... plucked the longest feather and count 31 bars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3821.jpg (58.6 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Jadham; 09-20-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Are you allowed to hunt all the release sites all day or do most places end hunting at 2:00?