Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Default Newbie goose decoying

So I went goose hunting last weekend ( solo) for my first time ever,what a great experience! I managed 3 geese in the Morning and then 1 more in the evening. I'm watching the field that I hunted last week, as I type this, and there are about 300 geese back in it tonight. My question is, does a guy just hunt the morning and evenings or is it worthwhile to sit out the day in my blind? Thx in advanced
Old 09-22-2017, 06:38 PM

for the most part not really. if you watch the birds they are usually done flying mid morning and dont come out again until the evening. i have noticed though that on cool dreary days they will go at all kinds of weird times or even feed all day. let the birds decide if they are flying at all times of the day then go to it!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 PM

Smile Not in the evening either

You need your rest, if you leave them alone in the pm and let them get a good feed and leave on their own, they will be back in the morning. You can always use more firepower, bring your friends.

There are about 1 million things that can go wrong overnight but I'll let you learn about that on your own.

I was always told; "You are always welcome on a goose hunt if you bring a shovel and your own lunch!" Now days you don't need a shovel.

Have fun.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
You need your rest, if you leave them alone in the pm and let them get a good feed and leave on their own, they will be back in the morning. You can always use more firepower, bring your friends.

There are about 1 million things that can go wrong overnight but I'll let you learn about that on your own.

I was always told; "You are always welcome on a goose hunt if you bring a shovel and your own lunch!" Now days you don't need a shovel.

Have fun.
I left them to leave on their own and then went out and put a reflective marker among the feathers and " what not"!! My buddies on his way now and we will setup an hour or so before first light. Tommorow afternoon will be better spent checking trailcams and maybe find a bear?! Thx