Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Default Hunting without a pal

Can a person hunt with another person with a valid pal if first persons pal is expire and how many persons can be hunting with that person with that valid pal

Last edited by deerdrop; 09-22-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added new info
Old 09-22-2017, 07:08 PM

You are good to go being under supervision of the person with the pal, supervision being the key word, there is not a limit to the number of people hunting with the person with the pal although you probably won't see much if there are a lot of people.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 PM

Thank you good sir
Old 09-22-2017, 07:13 PM

Yes you can, there is not a limit on the number of people, but it has to be direct supervision. What I have heard F&w use as a definition of "direct" is: close enough to see at all times and talk without a raised voice. Or at least that's what that officer said, ymmv.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 PM

The term is direct and immediate supervision.
Meaning you are close enough and vigilant enough to take direct and immediate intervention if required.

How one can satisfy those conditions while hunting themselves, or managing more than one person, is pretty darn tough to satisfy.

Thank gawd there isn't too much appitite for fish cops to worry about PAL's and such things. And most Mounties are too busy chasing petty thefts to harass hunters.

But if something goes sideways big time............

There are no absolutes
Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 PM

The bullet point on amnesty while trying to come into compliance may interest you.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/p.../index-eng.htm

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=304867
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Banned

As long as your "in the process of renewing", you're good to go. Just as if you have a current PAL.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
As long as your "in the process of renewing", you're good to go. Just as if you have a current PAL.
Is that what someone told you, or can you direct us to actual legislation that states that? And what constitutes" in the process of renewing"? Does having mailed in your renewal form today satisfy the requirement, or does the renewal application have to be approved before that condition is met?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 AM

Default No

Alberta government, F&W, were not in support of firearms registration when it first began for non-restricted. At that time as provincial reps they refused to enforce law. Things may have changed recently that I'm not aware of, but I don't believe so. There are game laws in Alberta relating to firearms that they enforce such as having a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle etc. But there is no requirement to have a Valid PAL in the Alberta Hunting regulations anywhere, that I'm able to find. But it's much easier to get a pal or hunt with a bow.
Anyone have a claim to have been asked for a PAL/POL by F&W? Not police, just F&W.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Alberta government, F&W, were not in support of firearms registration when it first began for non-restricted. At that time as provincial reps they refused to enforce law. Things may have changed recently that I'm not aware of, but I don't believe so. There are game laws in Alberta relating to firearms that they enforce such as having a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle etc. But there is no requirement to have a Valid PAL in the Alberta Hunting regulations anywhere, that I'm able to find. But it's much easier to get a pal or hunt with a bow.
Anyone have a claim to have been asked for a PAL/POL by F&W? Not police, just F&W.
F&W may choose not to ask people to produce a PAL, even though they can, but I have been stopped at joint F&W/RCMP checkstops where the RCMP asked for a PAL. And firearms were seized at those checkstop because nobody in the vehicle could produce a valid PAL. As long as one person in the vehicle held a valid PAL, there was no problem. However the RCMP are not likely going to be in the field to see a person a few hundred yards from a PAL holder. Then again, if an incident was to occur,, charges could result.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
F&W may choose not to ask people to produce a PAL, even though they can, but I have been stopped at joint F&W/RCMP checkstops where the RCMP asked for a PAL. And firearms were seized at those checkstop because nobody in the vehicle could produce a valid PAL. As long as one person in the vehicle held a valid PAL, there was no problem. However the RCMP are not likely going to be in the field to see a person a few hundred yards from a PAL holder. Then again, if an incident was to occur,, charges could result.
Wonder whats the law if one of the guys your hunting with has been refused a PAL? Just asking.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've also been at those same joint check stops, which is why I specified F&W. The few Alberta based Federal Fish and Game officers likely have different mandates, I have run into one just North of the Sweetgrass crossing, whe was riding with an Alberta CO.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Is that what someone told you, or can you direct us to actual legislation that states that? And what constitutes" in the process of renewing"? Does having mailed in your renewal form today satisfy the requirement, or does the renewal application have to be approved before that condition is met?
From a phone call to the firearm center when I was in the same predicament. Any time after your form is in the mail, would be "in the process". But I wouldn't go by what some guy said on the internet. Phone yourself, maybe things have changed.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
From a phone call to the firearm center when I was in the same predicament. Any time after your form is in the mail, would be "in the process". But I wouldn't go by what some guy said on the internet. Phone yourself, maybe things have changed.
And I would want this in writing, before going hunting without a PAL. Telling the judge what someone on the phone told you isn't a situation that I would want to be in. Until the CFO has approved the application, there is no guarantee that it will be approved.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 AM

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/b...619-91-eng.htm

More info.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
And I would want this in writing, before going hunting without a PAL. Telling the judge what someone on the phone told you isn't a situation that I would want to be in. Until the CFO has approved the application, there is no guarantee that it will be approved.
The following would be the "in writing" you requested.

The Government of Canada has extended, until December 31, 2017, the Order Declaring an Amnesty Period. It applies to individual owners of non-restricted firearms anywhere in Canada who had a firearms licence issued under the Firearms Act, but who let it expire on or after January 1, 2004
Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The following would be the "in writing" you requested.

The Government of Canada has extended, until December 31, 2017, the Order Declaring an Amnesty Period. It applies to individual owners of non-restricted firearms anywhere in Canada who had a firearms licence issued under the Firearms Act, but who let it expire on or after January 1, 2004
That works until the end of this year. But that applies whether you have begun the renewal procedure or not.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
That works until the end of this year. But that applies whether you have begun the renewal procedure or not.
Ok, go by that then. I'm just stating what I was told and posting the amnesty. If that's not good enough to hunt this year, don't go. Was never looking for an argument.