Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Banned

Default Licensing/Patenting Fishing Innovations

I have a couple of prototypes for fishing related innovations... one is a lure, and the other is a fly tying aid, as well as other ideas. Not sure how to move forward at this point... anyone with experience or advice? I'm leaning towards licensing arrangements but not sure.

Thanks for any input
Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 AM

When comes to lures patents are not worth it unless you have something truly crazy outside of the box revolutionary. With the long history of fishing lures and the number of concepts that have come and gone odds a variant of your lure exists

I am sitting on a ton of lure designs myself and have done a little research. Truly I just need to put more effort into selling mine

As for the fly tying tool that might be different
Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Make something, do a video and go on the shark tank. Might get one of the sharks to fund and help you.
Or eat you alive.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Pm Keg, he has gone the design to selling route with his Trail Camera mount. Probably has some good insight on what worked and what didn't.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
When comes to lures patents are not worth it unless you have something truly crazy outside of the box revolutionary. With the long history of fishing lures and the number of concepts that have come and gone odds a variant of your lure exists

I am sitting on a ton of lure designs myself and have done a little research. Truly I just need to put more effort into selling mine

As for the fly tying tool that might be different
I agree with this. A patent is not worth the $$. Develope your product and devote the patent money to marketing research, development and branding.
Having a patent doesn't guarantee it wont be "knocked off". Protecting the patent becomes your responsibility and any knock offs will require a civil suit to counter. Far too much time & money can be spent on a patent, as has been realized by thousands of patent owners. Profit is made in the marketplace.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies everyone... Im leaning more towards licensing or royalty type of deals for the lures, maybe patent for the fly tying idea.

The lure is a couple of effective (field tested) tweaks to make certain lures swim more realistically, and I have a PT for the fly tying device, but I need proof on that one.

One thing Im wondering is how to propose an idea without "letting the cat out of the bag" so to speak.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 PM

It’s not easy to find a company that will be interested. The fact of the matter is when it comes to fishing lures companies are more concerned about marketing then it is design

Odds are you want to get somewhere with it you have to do it from the bottom up