Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Hockey this year or not??

Does anbody else besides me think that there wont be any hockey this year!This will really suck AGAIN!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Doesn't look like it. Both of them (NHL and the NHLPA) can go to hell. I don't mind that the players make what they do (MILLIONS). I don't mind that the owners make what they do (MILLIONS).
But when the two of them refuse to put forth what they're paid to do because they both want MORE?!???? ****** 'em all. I've already started watching Junior A hockey. That's where I'll be.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

The Rebels better put together a decent season.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
The Rebels better put together a decent season.
X2, just heard Sutter is back with the team as well, Go Rebels!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Owners have all the power, players will have to cave eventually, they may as well do it now.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Owners have all the power, players will have to cave eventually, they may as well do it now.
To a point players hold out no revenue, and fan don't came particularly in the us so the players have some pull. But less revenue less pay. I'll back them players but I'm done with owners handing out 100 million dollar contracts and wanting it back.

Anyone want to trade my flames memorabilia for some saints stuff?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM

100 million contracts have very little to do with this...the pie is 70 million large if your top 3 players make say 20 mill that leaves 50 mill for the other 20 players ( if you spend to the cap ) the players want to keep the majority of the NHL revenue..anyone hear own a business where YOU assume all the risk pay all the bills and then give your EMPLOYEES 57% of the revenue generated?
On the owners side on this they want to close the loopholes that SOME owners are exploiting
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
waylow

I wish I could get 57% of my employers revenue. That'd be like 200 grand a day!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

I am to the point with NHL Hockey....that I just don't give a rats rip anymore.

LC
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Biggest expense the company I work for is people, making about 10 to 20% profit on jobs. People are expensive, I'm pretty sure the company you work spends a fair chunck of it's revenue on people as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Does anyone hear even know, or have heard of the players on the negotitaing side???...as per, the fringe guys want their cut. With too many teams, and too little talent, it is a bus crash waiting to happen...put Crosby, Hall, Skinner etc. on the players negotiating side and the deal will be done in about 10 mins.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Does anyone hear even know, or have heard of the players on the negotitaing side???...as per, the fringe guys want their cut. With too many teams, and too little talent, it is a bus crash waiting to happen...put Crosby, Hall, Skinner etc. on the players negotiating side and the deal will be done in about 10 mins.

Bad Spellers Of The World...Untie!!!!!
Sorry..couldn't resist
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Sorry..couldn't resist
hahahahaha!!!!...good call!!! note to self, "u are too old to type and talk on cell at the same time"
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Players harp about revenue sharing, anyone think Crosby is going to divy up his 10 mill per/yr with the 4th line plugs?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Of course there will be hockey this year. My son is playing AAA Bantam, and I'm going to enjoy watching a bunch of kids play their hearts out for the love of the game. My kind of hockey. They are playing in Red Deer and Leduc this weekend, pre season exhibition games.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Players harp about revenue sharing, anyone think Crosby is going to divy up his 10 mill per/yr with the 4th line plugs?
my point....which is why the 4th line plugs are at the table....
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Don't care really. Screw them all.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM

There will be NHL hockey, and I'll be back watching with bells on, cheering the Flames to their inevitable 10-12th place finish.... (sigh)
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
X2.

When asked by a reporter about the players withdrawing their services when the fans had supported them all season to get to the playoffs. Joe Niewendyk(then a calgary flames player and players rep) responded " the fans know their place".

Well that killed it for me once and for all (former big Niewendyk 50 goals in his rookie year fan).

Cancel the damn season too many pigs at trough!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
100 million contracts have very little to do with this...the pie is 70 million large if your top 3 players make say 20 mill that leaves 50 mill for the other 20 players ( if you spend to the cap ) the players want to keep the majority of the NHL revenue..anyone hear own a business where YOU assume all the risk pay all the bills and then give your EMPLOYEES 57% of the revenue generated?
On the owners side on this they want to close the loopholes that SOME owners are exploiting
Insightful as always my friend. Totally agree.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
X2.

When asked by a reporter about the players withdrawing their services when the fans had supported them all season to get to the playoffs. Joe Niewendyk(then a calgary flames player and players rep) responded " the fans know their place".

Well that killed it for me once and for all (former big Niewendyk 50 goals in his rookie year fan).

Cancel the damn season too many pigs at trough!
Exactly!!!! How ironic that with these astronmical salaries, the game is softer. Give it ten years and there won't be any contact. I'm 40 years old and attended hockey schools where we were taught to hit. Now the art of the hip check is gone, and if a player has his head down and you hit him with your shoulder, its illegal where in my day it was a beauty open ice hit. I can't stomach these prima donnas. Bring back Scott Stevens and the Wendel Clarks please. Hockey used to be a tough game. Now we get to watch *****s like the Linus Omarks of this world with spinorama figure skating moves during a penalty shot. Cancel the season and the way the game is played today!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM

I've already gone to a junior game. Great hockey and it only cost $40 for the boy and I...INCLUDING hot dogs and Drinks
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
I've already gone to a junior game. Great hockey and it only cost $40 for the boy and I...INCLUDING hot dogs and Drinks
right on Dave, thats a $100.00 bill athe flames game, and better hockey too.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
anyone hear own a business where YOU assume all the risk pay all the bills and then give your EMPLOYEES 57% of the revenue generated?
You mean a business where your payroll is 57% of your total revenue? I think there are a ton of labour-intensive businesses where that's the case.

Don't forget, the employees ARE the product in the NHL. It's more akin to asking what film companies should pay their box office stars for a film.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
right on Dave, thats a $100.00 bill athe flames game, and better hockey too.
$100?!!!! Last flames game I went went like this:

Parking: $13
Tickets: 2x$125 = $250
Program: $15
Food and drink: $60

Well over $300 and it was a boring game. And I was in the second tier.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Tend not to agree. Why should the owner profit from jersey sales etc with the name Crosby on the back? It is the Crosby name selling those jerseys so should he not profit from that as well? Say Eberle on one jersey and Katz on the other, which one is going to generate more revenue? Why should Katz get that additional revenue when it is Jordan's name generating it?

Owners risks, what their taxpayer funded arenas may burn down? Taxpayers may request repayment of monies loaned to build the arenas? How many concussions did Ed Snyder endure in Philly? How many knee operations did the Bruins owner endure during Orr's career? How many tickets sell for each game to watch the owner sit in their suite? Owners do not assume all that much risk.