Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Default Ever have a store you are REALLY happy with?

Just got a text from my favorite hunting store in St. Paul....Warehouse Sports. A few months ago I had asked about a gadget to sexify my Ruger 10/22. Darryl said he didn't have it and I just left it at that.....fast forward to today and he lets me know that he got the part I wanted....out of the blue. I had forgotten about it and now it just made my day (wow when I read that I feel kind of shallow that a gun part makes me so happy )
The sheer fact he remebered that I wanted something and worked to bring it in for me says soooo much about the store. In todays day and age when you always read about crappy service from people who don't care, it is really cool to see someone making a difference. This is why I ALWAYS try to shop at small town stores as opposed to "big box" stores. The personal service is second to none!
Anyone ever had the same feeling?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 AM

The couple times I have delt with Bashaw sports have been like that for me! I see dealing with Fly etc. more in my future, not all that close to me but close enough to make it worth-while to deal with good people who care about customer service and have fair prices.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM

shopping local is always worth the wait and/or the few dollars more it costs.

its nice to walk in the door and know all the staff by name any day of the week.

support your local gun shops or they wont be there anymore!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM

I Always have had Great Luck with the Beer store and Lcbo...Always have Crown Royal and Molson Canadian...Lol...
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm a really big fan of the Fly/coffee shop in Coleman.. They have very friendly & knowledgable staff, always willing to help you out and tell you what the bite has been on recently...

Actually, it's because of them I caught my first bull years and years ago.. Been catchin em' ever since!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM

The Fishin' Hole.

Always nice being greeted by name. Plus if they done have an item.... They can usually get it for me quickly.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM

In may of 2007 I phoned Remingtons head office in Ilion NY and inquired about the availabiliy of the then new 700 sps v in .204 ruger as none of the retailers had any.

The lady I spoke to was the canadian distribution rep for remington told me they would be here in august as they have supply obligations to american retailers first in line.

I went and put down half the retail price on one at franchere sports that day.

Two days later frank phoned and told me to come get my new rifle which he would register while I drove the 15 ninutes to the store.

The only catch was after getting there I had to return the next afternoon as the provincial CFO had not reveiwed and approved the rifle therefore it could not be registered or sold in Alberta.

Frank at franchere always offers great service and as illustrated above gets what he does not have quick.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
The Fishin' Hole.

Always nice being greeted by name. Plus if they done have an item.... They can usually get it for me quickly.
X2 TFH rocks!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
X2 TFH rocks!
X3 usually about 5 to 10 % more than other places but when you go to a fishing store for Fishin specific stuff your likely to pay more , speaking of which in due for my every 2 month donair , SS Fishin hole here I come .
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I'm a really big fan of the Fly/coffee shop in Coleman.. They have very friendly & knowledgable staff, always willing to help you out and tell you what the bite has been on recently...

Actually, it's because of them I caught my first bull years and years ago.. Been catchin em' ever since!
I have drove by that shop a hundred times so now I will stop in. thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
In may of 2007 I phoned Remingtons head office in Ilion NY and inquired about the availabiliy of the then new 700 sps v in .204 ruger as none of the retailers had any.

The lady I spoke to was the canadian distribution rep for remington told me they would be here in august as they have supply obligations to american retailers first in line.

I went and put down half the retail price on one at franchere sports that day.

Two days later frank phoned and told me to come get my new rifle which he would register while I drove the 15 ninutes to the store.

The only catch was after getting there I had to return the next afternoon as the provincial CFO had not reveiwed and approved the rifle therefore it could not be registered or sold in Alberta.

Frank at franchere always offers great service and as illustrated above gets what he does not have quick.
I try to buy something from Frank whenever possible as I am always going to Moose Lake every year. I always appreciate the conversations and advice. Another truly great store worth visiting
Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlyman1980 View Post
I Always have had Great Luck with the Beer store and Lcbo...Always have Crown Royal and Molson Canadian...Lol...
Come on Grizz, everyone who has lived in Ontario knows it as the IN & OUT store.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackdown View Post
I try to buy something from Frank whenever possible as I am always going to Moose Lake every year. I always appreciate the conversations and advice. Another truly great store worth visiting
Frank is a good guy, always stopp in when in that neck of the woods.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM

I really like liquer stores. Dales liquer store in camrose. Its friday boys!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Cost more????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
X3 usually about 5 to 10 % more than other places but when you go to a fishing store for Fishin specific stuff your likely to pay more , speaking of which in due for my every 2 month donair , SS Fishin hole here I come .
How could you say they cost more than other stores? Don't tell me you're buying rods from walmart and can tire?

I was in there yesterday and bought 2 rods. Both were $7 cheaper than any of the other stores. Plus theyvwill match any posted price and with the internet in the palms of our hands these days its quick and easy to prove.

The only reason you "think" it costs more is because of the mandatory stop for a donair next door, which you could get at Richards in shr prk and they are way better.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Wholesale sports Edmonton South Common.

Terry, Cameron, Shane and the rest are awesome. If I go to Edmonton I go there.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Wayne at the Dapp Corner Store - great guy and has stuff you can't find elsewhere a lot of the time!
Asafr as store counter guys go, Terry at WSS South and Old george at WSS Nnorth are my goto guys, an d of course "George the Younger" at P+D!!
Phil always has time to say "hi!" to me as well.
The crew at Bashaw? Super, simple as that!
Never met Clay at Prohet River, but dealt with him a bunch, and he is right on .
As far as knowledgeable shooters and builders go, Paul Reibin and Mick McPhee in Kamloops are two of the best there is .
Ron Smith ? all of the above!!!!
Cat
Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Fly's Etc. in High River. Has the powder I seek, stocks the bullets his regulars ask for. And most surprisingly had the pistols that I wantednto compare, none of of which the supposed big guns in Calgary had. I was able to compare my last two choices, Glock vs Cz. None of the "big stores" in Calgary were capable to offer me the comparison. Udo came through and I walked away with the choice pistol. And, he took care of the transfer on Saturday and sold me ammo at at a decent price. Oh, and for those that can't find Varget due to shortages, Udo has that too, why? 'cause he listens to his regular clients.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 PM

Sportsmens Den in Red Deer. Know me on sight and what I like. Great staff and owner.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Clay at Prophet River offers customer service that is second to none. Pud, Randy,Geordie, and the staff at Bashaw have always provided me with first class service as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
How could you say they cost more than other stores? Don't tell me you're buying rods from walmart and can tire?
HaHaHa
Old 07-21-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
That donair Shop is killer! Gerry at SS TFH is a standup dude.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
So are Kevin and Bo. Not hard to kill an hour in there bsing.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Wholesale sports Edmonton South Common.

Terry, Cameron, Shane and the rest are awesome. If I go to Edmonton I go there.
I deal with Lyndon, he is awesome.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 AM

Mitch and the guys at Sylvestre's Sports in Bonnyville always helpful and knowledgable, do lots of service work/ repairs for cheap.
Some real good deals on other sporting equipment like ball stuff and hockey
Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 AM

The liquor store!!!!! Is my favorite. Anyone will do!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 AM

For online service I love phoning down to George Ttrulock's place in Georgia for chokes!
They are fast , easy to talk to , and stuff comes in FAST!!

Tom and Andrew at Higginsons' are top shelf as well, and Will at Bilozir fine guns will get stuff out in a hurry as well, he has reloading supplies that are just not available anywhere at times , from overshot wads to brass cases and specialty wads.
Cat
Old 07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

not to derail this thread but i thought i'd mention that though this is a service and not a store the A.M.A. has never let me down in 40 yrs and always provides top notch service though wait times can be long on some very cold winter days. i would reccomend them to anyone who owns a vehicle.
p.s. no i don't work for them or know anyone who does.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post

I was in there yesterday and bought 2 rods. Both were $7 cheaper than any of the other stores. Plus theyvwill match any posted price and with the internet in the palms of our hands these days its quick and easy to prove.

The only reason you "think" it costs more is because of the mandatory stop for a donair next door, which you could get at Richards in shr prk and they are way better.
I don't have any cheep crappy Canadian tire / Walmart rods , Don't think I ever have either .

As far as donairs go Simon and king are far better than many places and Richards donair in the park is asking for a roll of ass wipe and a magazine before you even get outta town . Them ones at Simon n king especially the spicy , are all hand made everyday , not frozen 6 months ago .

Quote:
Yup there good guys , I like Gary and Kevin good guys , Gerry is good to but seems always grumpy .
Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
x2 for Simon King Donair's.