Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Default New Buy & Sell Restrictions

Was looking over the Buy & Sell forum and noticed that only the poster can comment on sale items now. While I get why this may be advantages from the sellers standpoint, as a buyer I feel like it makes the buy sell section less effective and potentially more risky for the following reasons.

1. When someone posts incorrectly, other members can no longer point out the errors which may not be noticed by a slightly less informed buyer like myself.
2. With the elimination of the registry and it being that much harder to verify the authenticity of a firearm, having members point out scammers publicly was beneficial.
3. In many cases other members provided feedback on the posted item, which helped with evaluating the item.
4. When other members asked questions the questions and answers were available publicly which was beneficial.
5. It was easier to gauge both interest in the item and whether or not the poster was being responsive or not.

It just seems to me like the benefits are all for the sellers with the new changes, and the restrictions and disadvantages to the buyers have perhaps not been as thoroughly investigated as they should have been.

Perhaps some light can be shed on this.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Smile

1. When someone posts incorrectly, other members can no longer point out the errors which may not be noticed by a slightly less informed buyer like myself.
Send Pm to seller if there is a concern.
2. With the elimination of the registry and it being that much harder to verify the authenticity of a firearm, having members point out scammers publicly was beneficial.
We have a 30 post minimum on new members in order to use the buy and sell. Scammers and reported posts for potential scammers has dropped by at least 80%
3. In many cases other members provided feedback on the posted item, which helped with evaluating the item.
why maybe good in some cases... most cases were just members butchering sale ads with such comments like " I can get that at bla blah for so much cheaper"
4. When other members asked questions the questions and answers were available publicly which was beneficial.
Thats what the PM system is for.. if a sell is serious about selling his item... he will PM you back
5. It was easier to gauge both interest in the item and whether or not the poster was being responsive or not.
Ooooook

We like the new changes to the buysell...and its been a long time coming. It wont be going back to the way it was.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

If any member suspects that a seller might be a scammer then notify admin/mods and they will investigate the seller
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Send Pm to seller if there is a concern.
We have a 30 post minimum on new members in order to use the buy and sell. Scammers and reported posts for potential scammers has dropped by at least 80%
why maybe good in some cases... most cases were just members butchering sale ads with such comments like " I can get that at bla blah for so much cheaper"
Thats what the PM system is for.. if a sell is serious about selling his item... he will PM you back
Ooooook

We like the new changes to the buysell...and its been a long time coming. It wont be going back to the way it was.
Wow, sorry I mentioned anything Alberta Bigbore. I kind of feel like you jumped down my throat a little bit on this. I'm not really sure I feel welcome here anymore.

My responses to your responses - keeping in mind that I am only being as aggressive with my responses as you were with yours. I don't feel that how you responded is in any way appropriate or welcoming of a moderator.

1) I am talking about errors that buyers may not be aware of that other members have in the past had the ability to shed light on. How can I use the PM system if the seller is misrepresenting an item and I am unaware of that.
2) While you may have reduced scammers, however it is somewhat ridiculous to think that a scammer wouldn't just post 30 posts, it wouldn't take that long or be that hard. Not exactly idiot proof.
3) I personally would rather have butchering of ads than a complete lack of transparency. The new system keeps buyers completely in the dark.
4) I am talking about having questions and answers readily available, not having to go search for them through the pm system. Again, transparency instead of keeping people in the dark.
5) Is completely valid, but oooook to you too.

I am not entirely sure you speak for everyone on the forum.

I am going to take your advice and use the PM system and send this to the people at AO magazine. Thank you for completely dismissing my concerns and treating me like an idiot.

Kind regards,

nrsmatth

Last edited by nrsmatth; 01-29-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM

The onus is on the buyer to do their research...if you aren't sure or don't know enough get someone to look into it for you.

The changes have been beneficial to the buy and sell it has reduced needless comments on items from guys never interested in buying in the first place...if it is too high then it wont sell if there is interest it will sell fast so if you want or need it act accordingly don't waste time waiting.

If you have questions on an item...google it...there is someone who has had the same questions you did with a similar item

If you suspect something report it...or leave the deal...if it sounds too good to be true maybe it is
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM

It is not a perfect system but IMHO it is better than what we had. The number of people who were ruining sales was quite high.... You would have people commenting and making something out of nothing to the point it killed your ad.

The buy and sell here facilitates sellers and buyers, there are inherit risks you take. This is not eBay......you can always choose not to use the buy and sell if you dislike how it is run, not like we are paying to use this site

LC
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM

Thank you Fletch and Lefty-Canuck - you guys successfully provided the type of response I would have expected from someone who represented AO.

I can totally see both sides on this one. I'm not sure my comfort level is there anymore, but you are both correct that it is my choice whether to use it or not.

Thank you both for your reasoned responses.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
Wow, sorry I mentioned anything Alberta Bigbore. I kind of feel like you jumped down my throat a little bit on this. I'm not really sure I feel welcome here anymore.
nrsmatth
Maybe I should have highlighted my responses in blue or green? You asked fo some light shed on the subject... careful what you wish for I guess. WOW! Im not really sure I'm welcome anymore
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM

Lol. Touchy people today..... Cold weather i say.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Here's the thing.
When you sign up on Ao you agree to the terms of use.
When you advertise on AO you agree to the rules as well.

Too many ppl sign something and don't read the fine print as evidenced in the past on AO buy and sell.

I like the new changes and my thanks to Rob, Abb and the other mods.
I'm sure the mods are a little less busy since the change.

Let us know how your conversation with Rob M goes.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM

The biggest problem was items being pushed off the front page by people bumping threads with idle chit chat. You post an item and 2 days later it was on page 10.

If you are serious about an item a quick Google search will give you more information than random comments on the thread.

The buy and sell is a lot better now IMO.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Could you mods please make it mandatory for the seller to post a their location? From what I have seen that is one of the biggest reasons threads were getting bumped. I'm sure the sellers don't want 20 or so pm's for simply forgetting to put there location in their thread.

Quote:
This one I agree with. If one person has a question about the item, then it is reasonable to assume another member might have the same question.

but alas, A.O is a dictatorship and there is nothing we can do about it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Its really no different now than an add on a bulletin board or a classified add in a newspaper.

I like it this way. If you are interested in an item contact the seller. We don't need to eavesdrop on the negotiations. I would like to see location posted on every add.

I can appreciate the op's interest in giving his opinion though. No harm in that.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM

I agree with the OP, I liked it better before the changes, he makes some good points.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM

Hey nrsmatth,

Don't waste your time ****ing in the wind on this one. I did a while back and it's pointless. The buy/sell is not going to be transparent. If you know someone is scamming someone to pay too much, well that is the buyers problem. Reporting it to the moderators will only get the response of 'buyer beware.' Pointing out a scam in the forum gets the same response, but all the PM's of people agreeing with you can be funny.

These are just simple statements that will allow nrsmatth to drink the Kool-Aid and be happy. Not looking to argue any of this, I know resistance is futile.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM

I'm just new here so I can't say to much about the changes..the only downfalls I've noticed is you can't just search a caliber like"22-250" and reading a add only to find " sold" at the bottom. Real bummer and time waster. Other than that I'm really enjoying the site and have learned some valuable info. Thx
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimco View Post
I'm just new here so I can't say to much about the changes..the only downfalls I've noticed is you can't just search a caliber like"22-250" and reading a add only to find " sold" at the bottom. Real bummer and time waster. Other than that I'm really enjoying the site and have learned some valuable info. Thx
Yes.. some refuse to learn how to edit the title to Sold
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 PM

X3 location of item should be mandatory.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM

I realy don't understand why people have a problem with the way it is now. If a seller posts a lame ad, he will get little response and have less sucess. If a buyer needs more info, he can contact the seller, or just move on. We don't need the peanut gallery chiming in with their two bits. The whole point of the buy and sell is to connect buyers and sellers. If you're not buying or selling, you're not being helpful to the transaction.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I realy don't understand why people have a problem with the way it is now. If a seller posts a lame ad, he will get little response and have less sucess. If a buyer needs more info, he can contact the seller, or just move on. We don't need the peanut gallery chiming in with their two bits. The whole point of the buy and sell is to connect buyers and sellers. If you're not buying or selling, you're not being helpful to the transaction.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 PM

The new system is 100X better, best thing to happen here in years. Only thing better as mentioned is if we could edit the actual post not only the title... and some way of locking premature bumpers if that happens down the road - great, if not I wont lose sleep over it either.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 PM

x4 on location, super annoying to find out something you want is in quebec.

is there a way to have a mandatory location field put in that if you don't fill it in you CANT post the add until the field has location added? like when you go to send a private message and forget a title it stops you and says you cant send a message with out a title
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM

I didn't find the mods original response 'aggressive', only direct and to the point. There's nothing wrong, rude or unwelcoming about being matter-of-fact. I appreciate that approach by a moderator - then the rules are made clear, and can not be misconstrued due to language couched in an apologetic, fearful-to-offend, or conciliatory manner. I appreciate that clarity.

IMO, the moderators are the referees in this arena, they're not here to welcome or make friends - that's up to the players.

Welcome! Your objections are being discussed (see above), but as an occassional user of the buy/sell section, I also appreciate the new rules.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 PM

1. ibtl
  2. ibtl
  3. ibtl

Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
  1. Best Mods in order
  2. Kanon
  3. Kanon
  4. Everybody else tied for last
Fixed it for you Dac
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Fixed it for you Dac
Feeling fiesty eh?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Smile

Could the mods please give us more room in the PM's? I feel they fill up way too fast and I have had to delete some pm's that I would have rather kept. If you are only limiting us to using the PM's then at least make sure we have adequate room in our PM's.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM

nrsmtth. The trader rating system is another way to help in decision making. Check not only the sellers rating but who has dealt with that person in the past.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM

I like it the way it is now, the only way it should change is if someone tries to sell a Monster Energy Fridge, then the thread should be unlocked
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
I like it the way it is now, the only way it should change is if someone tries to sell a Monster Energy Fridge, then the thread should be unlocked

What am I going to do with all these damn things then???

I went to Houston to get them!!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....