Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Default How many of you would accept a new vehicle like this?

Bought my wife a 2013 Honda CRV EX-L on Friday. Went to Go Honda yesterday afternoon to pick it up. My wife noticed a paint chip near the door handle. I started looking a little closer and found three more. Sales manager offered to "fix it". I said, no thanks get me a different one. They said I would have to wait up to 14 days for one to arrive. I said get me one from a different dealer. He said that would cost money and they were already too skinny on the deal.

I made him tear up the deal and went to a different dealership.

My wife thought I was being harsh.

How many of you would have accepted that?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM

On a brand new vehicle? Not I.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 PM

difficult question. for me, it really depends on how much i want/waited for the vehicle. good on you for standing up to them!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Zero chance. Good for you, sticking to your guns.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 PM

If he fixed it properly, I'd take it, if not than no.. You have no idea if your new one was the same , it may have been fixed.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Bought my wife a 2013 Honda CRV EX-L on Friday. Went to Go Honda yesterday afternoon to pick it up. My wife noticed a paint chip near the door handle. I started looking a little closer and found three more. Sales manager offered to "fix it". I said, no thanks get me a different one. They said I would have to wait up to 14 days for one to arrive. I said get me one from a different dealer. He said that would cost money and they were already too skinny on the deal.

I think you did right. I would of just because I would not trust them since they did not disclose it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
x2. If I'm paying for a brand-new item, it had better be just that. Brand new.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:42 PM

After having a lot of problems trying to get rust fixed on a Volkswagon Jetta a few years ago absolutely not. I bought the car brand new and in three months time the paint started bubbling in a few spots with rust underneath. Dealer didn't want to fix it and we had to deal with the head office. 6 months of complaining they finally agreed to fix it so long as we did it before the one year of owning the car was up. Anyhow they got it fixed the week before the car was a year old, and then two months later it was bubbling again in other spots. Rather than fighting with them again we sold the car and never again will ever buy Volkswagon. It still amazes me that they were not immediately willing to fix it.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 PM

I've worked in the car biz many years, thankfully no longer lol. You are paying for as new vehicle, yes it should be perfect, it was, until customers go on demo drives! I wish dealerships just had a few demos and left the rest covered, unfortunately customers wanna touch. I've never worked with a Honda dealer, but for the most part they are some of the best. Sometimes agreeing to a small problem being fixed goes a long ways in the relationship with the dealer.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
x3 You are paying for new so you should be getting new! If you accepted the vehicle like that it would have bugged you forever. Better to have them fix it to your satisfaction and then buy as opposed to the other way around IMO.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourpats View Post
If he fixed it properly, I'd take it, if not than no.. You have no idea if your new one was the same , it may have been fixed.

They only touch it up not repaint it.

So I would have done the same thing.

I know a guy who was buying a truck and it was not detailed properly ... He walked.

Dealers think once you signed they have you. Which is not the cause. You have to be satisfied with your purcahase then its ok
Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM

I agree, you can walk anytime. I would say fix it, than we can renegotiate.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:19 PM

It will be touched up and sold to somebody else. The next one you buy may be someone elses reject to. I think it's a little unreasnable to think every vehicle come off the line perfect. Not faulting you for walking, but think about how hard it would be to build the perfect vehicle and get it to market like that. Having framed a lot of pics, I can tell you the most time consuming thing is getting the glass perfectly clean. Now transfer that to a car.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It will be touched up and sold to somebody else. The next one you buy may be someone elses reject to. I think it's a little unreasnable to think every vehicle come off the line perfect. Not faulting you for walking, but think about how hard it would be to build the perfect vehicle and get it to market like that. Having framed a lot of pics, I can tell you the most time consuming thing is getting the glass perfectly clean. Now transfer that to a car.
Well said, ifPike.. its a Honda made in Japan, it went across an ocean than the coquihalla hi way on a truck. Or if Us made, maybe a train trip thru some nice slums. Than it arrives and several different families try driving it, if they made an effort to fix it good. And piker is right, the one you bought elsewhere may have been rejected by someone. It happens all the time.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:00 PM

The one I bought at a different dealership has never been driven except on the train and off. I made sure of that. And it's made in Canada.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Tricky situation. I've worked at a dealership and most of the vehicles on the lot do get small chips and things from transport trucks but most of the chips are in places no one notices not even the dealer. I bought myself a new 2012 Tacoma this fall and found scratches into the paint between the box and cab the next day. I guess serves me right for getting black.

It does cost a dealer money to get a vehicle off another lot there is a fee they pay to the other dealer, interest, handling and transport. People usually let the dealer 'make it right' because they have insurance for that and can get an auto body make it look like nothing happened.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The one I bought at a different dealership has never been driven except on the train and off. I made sure of that. And it's made in Canada.
When that's possible that the best, I wish they had one car to test and the rest stayed wrapped up. Enjoy the car.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
How do you make sure of that, aside from reading the odometer?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Disclosed ahead of time, sure.
Not disclosed, no way.
If it sounded like a genuine unseen and offered a discount, maybe.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDaLeonardo View Post
How do you make sure of that, aside from reading the odometer?
They always have something on odometer, even one from Canada go to Calgary on train than truck here to Edmonton. They get moved around in there manufacturer lot, at a dodge dealer in Kamloops I worked, I'd say 20% had something noticeable. That's trucking from mexico
Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM

I hope that you got your deposit back if you put one down.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 PM

Default brand new or nothing I don't deal with liar's

I think you did right. I would of just because I would not trust them since they did not disclose it.

x2. If I'm paying for a brand-new item, it had better be just that. Brand new.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Wink

Quote:
Good call, backing out, you would think the dealer would have noted the chips and made the repairs before delivery. Happy customer is a return customer.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 PM

Where I live the car would probably have at least 4 more rock clips before I got it halfway home.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:14 PM

I have bought 2 new vehicles and told the sales person before delivery occurred that I would be checking the vehicles over before accepting them.

I have also added the words "sale subject to final inspection by purchaser". That gets the deposit back if I did not accept the vehicle.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
X2
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM

My first wife had some damage and a few dings. Wish I would have said no and went with something else.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM

I would listen to the engine before I buy.... but yeah body problems are a problem too.... Howdo you chip paint? I have some very old vehicles with no chips after 40 years on the road, so I would wonder if a new vehicle had chips in it too
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM

I bought a new 2011 Aveo5 last winter as a work commuter. My dealer had to source it out of BC, as this was at the point when GM had a huge rebate to clear out remaining Aveos to make way for the Sonic and there wasn't much available (I got the last 5 speed w/AC in western Canada apparently). It was quite amazing the amount of damage that can be done to a vehicle that gets trucked that far. 2 dents on the hood, repainted the back half of the car. I would have gladly taken 50% of the claim amount towards the price of the car, but there was no way to work around that since the trucking company's insurance was paying the repair. It was bound to get beat up anyway driving 30k a year to a potash mine and I wasn't expecting it to stay pristine forever. One year later: 2 large stone bruises on the windshield, about a dozen rock chips, about 6 dents from hail and 2 door dents.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 AM

Default Customer Is Always Right!

Quote:

It is high time people started demanding real service for their dollars spent, good on you!