Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Banned

Default hugo chavez just died

Like a few minutes ago,
Pushing up daisies,
snuffed it,
Dead,
Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure how much of the world is going to lose sleep over this news.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm not sure how much of the world is going to lose sleep over this news.
What's your point?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Like a few minutes ago,
Pushing up daisies,
snuffed it,
Dead,
Thanks for update!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Death to communists!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
What's your point?
I think Scott's point is he was a tyrant and nobody will miss him.

I thought it was pretty crystal clear and I would agree.

Do you have a different perspective?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM

Better for us in Alberta if our energy industry competitors are run by idiots and dictators likely to expropriate. What have we been saying in the States? "You can buy your oil from us, or you can buy it from Chavez." Will be good for the Venzuelan people if they get a competent democratically elected government, but perhaps not so advantageous for us. Too Machiavellian perhaps? LOL
Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
What's your point?
No point, I just don't think that most of the world is going to miss him. Are you going to be mourning his passing this week?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Two questions come to mind. Who got his mule and will this mean an increase in coffee prices?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Good frigging riddance. The King is dead, but is their next leader in line a total crackpot too? Just an hour or so ago I was reading an article where one of Chavez's intellectual equals was spouting off about the US being to blame for. Haves having cancer. That one seemed to indicate to me that the writing was on the wall for old Huggy Bear, but the gov't there was keeping his death under wraps for the moment.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

The more Communist die the better it is for the world.

Last edited by Mutter87; 03-05-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM

oil prices may go up? Long term it could be bad for Alberta..... They have 180 billion barrels of heavy oil and it is alot closer to the gUlf of Mexico.

You gotta admire the guy for having balls, he definitely wasnt a puppet like most other politicians on the planet. Look at the slew of gutless corporate puppets north of venezuelas borders. Our politicians pander to who ever gives the money or votes for them. Guys like Chavez and Putin tell you how it is and get stuff done.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
oil prices may go up? Long term it could be bad for Alberta..... They have 180 billion barrels of heavy oil and it is alot closer to the gUlf of Mexico.

You gotta admire the guy for having balls, he definitely wasnt a puppet like most other politicians on the planet. Look at the slew of gutless corporate puppets north of venezuelas borders. Our politicians pander to who ever gives the money or votes for them. Guys like Chavez and Putin tell you how it is and get stuff done.
I'm not really sure that I want to admire guys like Chavez or Putin, but that's just me. Hitler got things done too.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM

You don't know much about Putin if you characterize him like that.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM

He didn't do his country a favor recently when he nationalized a private mine (I forget if it was gold or copper) from the company and its shareholders who paid to build it, that's a sure way to guarantee that you won't be getting any outside investment from the business community, or diversification of your economy.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM

"that's a sure way to guarantee that you won't be getting any outside investment from the business community."

Wow and miss a chance for the local working people to get screwed by foreign interests.

Chavez's election was as democratic as the Bush's was. Tyranny exists in many forms and I'm not sure Hugo fits that profile.

"In an e-mail uncovered and released by the House Judiciary Committee last month, Tim Griffin, once Karl Rove's right-hand man, gloated that "no [U.S.] national press picked up" a BBC Television story reporting that the Rove team had developed an elaborate scheme to challenge the votes of thousands of African Americans in the 2004 election. Griffin wasn't exactly right. The Los Angeles Times did run a follow-up article. But ... most of the major U.S. newspapers and the vast majority of television news programs ignored the story even though it came at a critical moment just weeks before the election. In fact, not one U.S. newsperson even bothered to ask me or the BBC for the data and research we had painstakingly done. The truth is, I knew that a story like this one would never be reported in my own country [the U.S.], because investigative reporting ... is dying. Again and again, I see this pattern repeated. Back in December 2000, I received two computer disks from the office of Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris. Analysis of the data ... indicated that Harris' office had purged thousands of African Americans from Florida's voter rolls as "felons." Florida now admits that many of these voters were not in fact felons. Nevertheless, the blacklisting helped cost Al Gore the White House. I reported on the phony felon purge in Britain's Guardian and Observer and on the BBC while Gore was still in the race, while the count was still on. Yet the story of the Florida purge never appeared in the U.S. daily papers or on television ... until months later, that is, after the Supreme Court had decided the election."

Democracy still alive and kicking eh?

Last edited by Brian Bildson; 03-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm not really sure that I want to admire guys like Chavez or Putin, but that's just me. Hitler got things done too.
definitely not saying they are 100% good but it is nice to see politicians with some balls every once in awhile instead of licking the corporate bag all the time.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM

kcco !!!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
Death to communists!!!
it's not that bad if you travel there, i have friend who spend 3 month down there a year everything is cheap, nice weather, cheap gas. he live like a king down there .
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
"that's a sure way to guarantee that you won't be getting any outside investment from the business community."

Wow and miss a chance for the local working people to get screwed by foreign interests.

Chavez's election was as democratic as the Bush's was. Tyranny exists in many forms and I'm not sure Hugo fits that profile.
The multi national oil companys made horrible messes in Venezuela and Ecuador over the years, I dont blame the countrys for giving them the boot. Just changes who reaps the rewards thats all.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
What's your point?
his point is WHO CARES
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM

A huge portion of Latin America cares... is who.

Chavez was smart and actually shared some of the wealth and help the less fortunate countries. His subsidized fuel had given many disadvantaged countries a hand up and kick started economies. He served as a check and balance against rampant exploitive capitalism in third world countries. He was also one of the first world leaders to offer aid to Hurricane Katrina victims.

I don't know the facts about Chavez and his policies well enough to pretend to be an expert but I know enough not to believe the media western view about anything.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM

I just checked with a friend who is from Venezuela and her whole family lives there. She said:

"Viva Venezuela Libre!"

Sounds like she is happy for her country.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I just checked with a friend who is from Venezuela and her whole family lives there. She said:

"Viva Venezuela Libre!"

Sounds like she is happy for her country.
Sure as ****, someone is going to blame it on the CIA.

Grizz
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Sure as ****, someone is going to blame it on the CIA.

Grizz

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM

It would not be polite to call you an idiot, so I won't. I will suggest you learn about, and then do, some critical thinking about what you have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
A huge portion of Latin America cares... is who.

Chavez was smart and actually shared some of the wealth and help the less fortunate countries. His subsidized fuel had given many disadvantaged countries a hand up and kick started economies. He served as a check and balance against rampant exploitive capitalism in third world countries. He was also one of the first world leaders to offer aid to Hurricane Katrina victims.

I don't know the facts about Chavez and his policies well enough to pretend to be an expert but I know enough not to believe the media western view about anything.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Two questions come to mind. Who got his mule and will this mean an increase in coffee prices?
Now that is funny right there...but you have to be over 30 to get the joke. I am...so I do.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyhobbies View Post
It would not be polite to call you an idiot, so I won't. I will suggest you learn about, and then do, some critical thinking about what you have said.
no doubt, chavez is a communist swine and im glad hes finally dead....
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM

I think I'll believe the Venezuelan family whom I met last year during their first week in Canada after having left their home country because of that nutbar. When someone's so friggng insane that people leave their home & birthplace to escape their rule it says something greater than a few cherry picked articles that somehow changed the subject to George Bush's election (btw, over a guy who cashed in on 'carbon credits' )

So I guess Brians more comfortable with people losing their investments than locals being exploited...... tell me, do you think for a moment that they'd be working for a different wage under private ownership rather than state ownership? They'd be paid whatever the market already bears in the area, which would have already been established; somehow thats the foreign investors fault?

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-05-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack&7 View Post
now that is funny right there...but you have to be over 30 to get the joke. I am...so i do.
+ 1 !!!