Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Default What do you think I should pay

For a good gps fish finder
a quality fish finder

any brands or model,s you suggest
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM

I have an entry model portable fishfinder (hummingbird 160). I think I paid $180 for it or around there. It does its job fine and no complaints. I haven't used any other ones so I can't really compare. But I've been advised to find the biggest screen I can afford by my fishing mentors.

To me the portability of it is awesome. Bring it on the boat and mount it using the suction to the transom, or bring it out with me for ice fishing. The battery life is terrific...charge it once and lasts ME almost a whole year.

If you can wait, I'd suggest you wait til they go on sale.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm looking too (and waiting for the sales).

So far I like the Lowrance X67c (color but no GPS but I already have one) for $265 at WSS, regular price, but I would like to hear some input. Screen is only 3.5" but it is pretty portable and should meet my needs.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Fishfinder

I saw a Humminbird 363 @ UFA Red Deer
was $477.00, marked down to 447.00
They also have $20.00 off all purchases over $100.00
Final price would be $427.00 before tax.

From the Humminbird web site

363 ComboLegacy
Internal GPS Combo

The 363 Combo features a high resolution 16 level grayscale 320V x 240H 4" display, DualBeam PLUS sonar with 2400 Watts PTP power output, and GPS Chartplotting with built-in UniMap. Maximize your angling experience with the Humminbird 363 Combo fishfinder GPS system.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Lowrance HDS 5 for $300 at BPS this spring!!!!! That was a steal.

And IMO...once owning a GPS fishfinder in my boat, it's amazing and is invaluable to me now. Ya a hand held is OK, but intergrated all on the same screen and you know where you are or what breakline you are on. Very handy with the navonics lake maps. Only thing I would change is the screen size (bigger is always better).
Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Hummingbird 581i Combo - has every feature imaginable - fishfinder 83/200 wide band, GPS, maps, Waypoint trolling software ready, notes on markers and all the standard bell and whistles. Bigger Screen and monitor capable (put another monitor elsewhere in the boat for $60).

Sells for $349US plus about $15 shipping.

Real good unit by the looks of it. Hook it up to your Minnkota and never have to drive again - trolls you from one waypoint to the next after you mark it out. Holds you on the spot if you are jigging. Better than most fishing partners who drink all your beers.

Next years model might load the boat on the trailer by itself.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Would recommend the Lowrance HDS 5 if you can find a good deal.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM

All depends on your price range and what else you want it to do? Colour? High resolution? To me a must. Screen size? If you got the room go for it. Side finder? 3D IMAGING $$$$$. Lot's to consider. I love my HumminBird 777c with the GPS and the Quad Beam Transducer. Do what I think most of us have probably done and drive yourself crazy and read all the stats and reviews on all the different types of sonars there are. Then tell someone what you want for CHRISTMAS or your BIRTHDAY.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM

I sold my HDS-5 and moved to the Lowrance HDS-8 with the insight software package and all I can say is WOW! You can see all the "secret" halibut humps off Vancouver Island at a glance. I went 20 miles in a light fog out of Tahsis this summer using the GPS when I wouldn't have left the dock otherwise. It will run radar, weather satellite, steering, boat gages and now even your iPod. Digital broadband sonar is equal to 30,000 watts RMS. I'm saving my pennies to get the Structurescan add-on next. Nice thing about the HDS-5 is that it's every bit as powerful as the 10 inch model. IMHO, Get the biggest HDS that your wife will let you. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the unit and I've ordered "Doc Samson's" in depth HDS DVD out of the States to learn more. He also has a software package called "Dr Depth" that will let you make your own HD structure maps of your favorite hot spots. I may get that at some future point as well. There is a 50 dollar rebate on the HDS-5 from Lowrance and Wholesale has 5% off all fishfinders right now which BP and the fish'n hole will no doubt match. That works out to nearly a hundred bucks off so if you are in the market for a fishfinder, now is a good time to get one.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I sold my HDS-5 and moved to the Lowrance HDS-8 with the insight software package and all I can say is WOW! You can see all the "secret" halibut humps off Vancouver Island at a glance. I went 20 miles in a light fog out of Tahsis this summer using the GPS when I wouldn't have left the dock otherwise. It will run radar, weather satellite, steering, boat gages and now even your iPod. Digital broadband sonar is equal to 30,000 watts RMS. I'm saving my pennies to get the Structurescan add-on next. Nice thing about the HDS-5 is that it's every bit as powerful as the 10 inch model. IMHO, Get the biggest HDS that your wife will let you. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the unit and I've ordered "Doc Samson's" in depth HDS DVD out of the States to learn more. He also has a software package called "Dr Depth" that will let you make your own HD structure maps of your favorite hot spots. I may get that at some future point as well. There is a 50 dollar rebate on the HDS-5 from Lowrance and Wholesale has 5% off all fishfinders right now which BP and the fish'n hole will no doubt match. That works out to nearly a hundred bucks off so if you are in the market for a fishfinder, now is a good time to get one.

whats that worth?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 AM

I think the HDS-5 with the base map is running just under 800 bucks. So with the sale and the rebate it would be about 700. I bought my HDS-8 when I was in the States for hundreds less than I would have paid in Canada. If you know someone in the States there are deals to be had, but shipping kills most deals. It can be had for $649.99 minus the 50 dollar rebate here... http://www.nothingbutfishing.com/
Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 AM

Dont go cheap. Save up and get a side scan. They are amazing.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM

I had and Eagle Fish Elite 480 for a few years now. Served very well but have opted to get a Lowrance HDS 5 on my new boat. Lowrance is nice cause you can have multiple screens. I may move the 5 to the bow and get a bigger one on the console. For me GPS is a must have. Mark all catches, follow productive paths, monitor speed. How much you want to spend is critical. HDS range from 800 to 2500. The hummingbirds are nice as well. Similar price range and features, just can't piggyback them.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM

$1500-3000

That puts you in a Lowrance HDS 8 or 10 or a Humminbird 1197 with all the bells and whistles. Once you've used one, going back to anything else will be really tough.

Any decent sonar/GPS combo will put you on fish if used properly though.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm still 100% Humminbird with a 997 driver and 797 on the front. The reason is you get side and down imaging included . Where as i beleive you have to shell out an additional 300 - 600 for lowrance hds unit to support side and down imaging.

The good thing about HDS units is i beleive you can get side and down imaging readouts at faster speeds. With the humminbird you loose that functionality when you hit around 6 mph i believe ..

none the less i wouldnt be caught fishing with any less , sure its going to cost you a good peny but in the end the information ( if you learn how to use it ) and the features go a long long way on the water.

time on the water , time on the water ....