Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Default I need your opinion on a tipi shelter

Okay, im looking at getting a light weight tent. I will use it from Aug til October, high in sheep country with rain, wind, snow, well you know what its like. I am really leaning in going with a floorless tipi style tent, and putting in a stove boot. Im stuck on the different options available. I dont have the money for a kifaru or a TiGoat which I understand as being the best. Im looking towards the Golite Shangra-Li 5, but dont really need the mesh liner and floor as the bugs should be pretty tame by september and wont use the mesh or carry the extra weight. Another option was the Oware Pyramid 9x9, but for some reason it doesnt appear as well built or functional. Does anybody have any experience with these two shelters or have any other suggestions? I really want to keep it around the $300 dollars or less and have it under 2 lbs for the tarp only (without the pole or stakes).

Thanks

Last edited by killerbren; 09-12-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:59 PM

How many people will you want the shelter to be able to hold?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
How many people will you want the shelter to be able to hold?
Half the time just me, the other half 2. But I'm tall at 6'5" so that's a consideration.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM

you are right about Kifaru and TiGoat being the best
I do think there Tipis are a bit over priced.
I am using a Kifaru Maga tarp with annex (I hand sewed in the annex)
Ask if they would do this for you, would save a lot of trouble.
its 750-770 grams(with 6 para cord guide lines 2' long) , and I carry 8 pags at 6 grams each,
and use trekking poles to set up, or if I need my poles and the tent is staying up, i use 2 sticks.
two people can stay in it just fine, with a stove and some gear(packs)
but that set up is about 40% more then your budget...
http://store.kifaru.net/megatarp-p85.aspx

As for the stove, Im still looking into a lot of different ones, and haven't made up my mind.
one problem with the backpack stoves are the size, being small your limited to the wood you put in it (mostly dry small pine branches) they are small, old and dry. They dont offer a long burn times. so the stove needs to be watched, and fuel added no stop. to run bigger fresher wood with longer burn times you need a saw and hatched now where talking more weight.
the stove will take the chill off and is good for drying out, but not so for keeping the shelter plus 20 all night.

I did cover the shelter in pine branches and it kept the heat in longer but it took time to do, time away from hunting.

the Golite Shangra-Li 5, is almost 6 pounds!
the Oware Pyramid 9x9, is light and would work for what you have described
It probably is your best option...

Another option is build your own
I started playing around with TYVEK for ground sheets but theres lots you can do with it, watch a lot of the videos, and have some fun trying different things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjwwa3eM94

good luck
Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 PM

The golite says its 6 pounds on their website but that is for the pole, the mesh with footprint, and the outer shell. I wouldn't use the nest or pole so I'm left with the shell which is under 2 lbs. I really have never used a stove in a tent but I realize it won't burn all night but I figured it would be good for warming up, eating meals in a warm environment, drying clothes, cooking food, ect. Thanks for your reply I will have to maybe look at the DIY thing.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Tipi Tent

I have the earlier version of the GoLite Shangri-La, the GoLite Hex 3. I have the bug tent inner and the bath tub base. You can mix and match the bug inner and tub base as you need or use neither. In winter I use the tub base summer the bug tent.

Mine weighs just under 2lb with my tent stakes and the pole is a little more and packs small. If I take my tent canoeing I don't take the pole as a paddle or a tree limb works just as well . You can also hold the tent up without a pole by tying it off to a tree.

Another option is to use the outer just as a tarp with an open fire (not too close though ).

Sleeps 2 easily with room for gear. Very, very stable even in harsh weather (it's been up a few mountains) and so simple to put up and down.

One downside to a tipi is the lack of outside covered storage space for muddy boots and the like if you have the inner set up. But the benefits are many.

Good luck