Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 AM

Default Mosin Nagant muzzle brake installation

Hi all,

I did a mod on a Mosin Nagant added the archangel kit and cut down the barrel now I need to add a muzzle brake. I was wondering what is the cheapest way to do this? Does anyone on here know how to do this and would be willing to help me with this? The local gunshop wants a 150-180 to do this...well, that's the price of my mosin lol.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 AM

Default mosin muzzle brake

To clarify I would need the front muzzle threaded and to add a muzzle brake.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Actually, cheapest way to do it is to buy a clamp on muzzle brake. there are a few manufacturers, you basically send them the muzzle measurements per their instructions, they send you the brake.

Moisin Clamp on $85

http://wittmachine.co/index.php?main...index&cPath=69

Last edited by Dean2; 08-07-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Default mosin

Thanks for the idea dean, but I would much prefer the screw on type. I really not like the look of the bolt on ones. But you may be right, price might force me to go that direction.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:02 AM

I would need to understand your dislike of bolt on brakes. Installed they look almost identical to most screw ons, at least the tactical ones. (There are some screw ons that don't have clamping bolts but a great many do, particularly the easily removable ones.) By all research I have done they are as good at their job and as reliable as the screw ons if properly fitted and installed.

https://kahntrol.com/clamp-on-muzzle-brake/

These ones get universally great reviews. Personally I haven't tried them, I am just in the process of ordering one from Kahntrol after doing a LOT of research. I checked the Canadian made ones from Grizzly and Coretac but they are two to three times the price and neither of them will stand behind their products at all. Once it is shipped it is all yours, no refunds of any kind.

Witt -if you aren't happy for whatever reason they will buy it back. Even if it was your mistake and you measured wrong they will recut at no extra charge. Kahntrol - if they pooched it they will fix it. I chose Kahntrol because they don't seem to need the exact barrel measurements to work correctly and they don't have upper or lower holes. No bottom holes reduces dust signature and the brake design is good enough it eliminated muzzle flip without the top holes.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-08-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Default muzzle brake

Hey Dean, they do look really good. Did you order these from the US, just the 149 USD is a bit costly for a mosin I think.

Once you get them in and installed would you mind letting me know how they fit and post some pictures?

I may go that route if it works out.

thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:04 PM

You could always go see a machinist. Theres a guy by the name of Henry Rempel he did an amazing job on my 300WM. twist off the muzzle brake and you could twist back on the stock muzzle when your out hunting