Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 01:22 PM

Default Best Edmonton Area Archery Ranges?

New to Edmonton (West Side) but not new to archery, I shoot a compound bow for hunting and also just target shooting, looking for opinions on the best indoor and outdoor ranges in and around the Edmonton area and more specifically reasons why choose to go to one place over the other.

Also do these places charge membership fees or is it drop in by the hour?

3D targets would weigh heavily into the appeal for me personally.

Thanks for your comments and advice!
Old 01-18-2020, 05:08 PM

I haven't been to them all, but I have been to Jim Bow's, and was blown away from the customer service, friendliness, and helpfulness of both Carson and Dave. Can't say I'm even tempted to go anywhere else at this point if they have what I'm looking for.

I'm not familiar with their range pricing structure, but they do have a large range and I've seen some 3d targets.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 AM

Jimbows charges $15 a day for the range which is nice. Indoors, great guys, lots of lanes and 20 yards max. My arrows were sinking almost to the fletching on Friday so might be time to change up thier target butts soon. Not sure about memberships. Parkland bowbenders has an outdoor range with 3D courses set up as well. You need a membership to shoot there. This will be my first year shooting at the bowbenders range so I can’t comment on what it’s like. It’s located near Villenueve
Old 01-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Jimbows has 20 yrds indoors for target shooting, they have a target league night (Wednesday or Thursday depending on time of year) on Sundays in the winter they have a fun 3D where you shoot from a variety of positions through a variety of obstacles from 3-28 yards.

LC
Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 PM

If your up at Lac la Biche our new indoor range is something to see. Now is setup with 3D up to I think 60yards
Old 01-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Sherwood Park Fish and Game has a great Outdoor Archery Range.

From their website. Memberships are very inexpensive.

Archery Range
The Archery Range consists of a Main Range and a 3D course. The Main Range has permanent target butts set at 10, 20, 30 and 40 meters. There is also a sand backed crib for shooting broad-heads, and an elevated stand with a 5 meter drop for tree stand practice.
A groomed trail walk approximately 400 meters long has 21 shooting lanes with 3D targets. The 3D targets are put out in April and taken in early September.

https://www.spfga.ca/memberships/
Old 01-20-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
If your up at Lac la Biche our new indoor range is something to see. Now is setup with 3D up to I think 60yards
Hey MugEye, we have family in LLB and are there every once and a while. What would it take for a visitor to come shoot at your range? When is it usually open?

As far as ranges in and around Edmonton, Jim Bows is great for indoors and has a target night on Thursday and 3D on Sundays as others mentioned. Parkland Bowbenders is also a very good outdoor range with up to 60 3D targets in the summer, and a static range out to 50yds. This is my second year as a member as I am back into archery with my son and I don't foresee not being a member for a long time!
Old 01-21-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Archery Range
The Archery Range consists of a Main Range and a 3D course. The Main Range has permanent target butts set at 10, 20, 30 and 40 meters. There is also a sand backed crib for shooting broad-heads, and an elevated stand with a 5 meter drop for tree stand practice.
A groomed trail walk approximately 400 meters long has 21 shooting lanes with 3D targets. The 3D targets are put out in April and taken in early September.

It’s changed a bit, they still have 10,20,30,40m butts but the other half converted to 10,20,30,40,50 yard butts. I believe there was a real broad head target when I was last there instead of the sand pit. I always bring my own broad head target if I’m tuning.

3D walk is a nice setup, worth the price of admission and unlimited use through the summer.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
It’s changed a bit, they still have 10,20,30,40m butts but the other half converted to 10,20,30,40,50 yard butts. I believe there was a real broad head target when I was last there instead of the sand pit. I always bring my own broad head target if I’m tuning.

3D walk is a nice setup, worth the price of admission and unlimited use through the summer.
There is no range provided Broadhead targets there! Sadly people are shooting Broadheads into the large 365 Targets. You need to bring your own Broadhead target if you plan on tuning Broadheads out there.

LC
Old 02-24-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There is no range provided Broadhead targets there! Sadly people are shooting Broadheads into the large 365 Targets. You need to bring your own Broadhead target if you plan on tuning Broadheads out there.

LC
I don't get people. That one target was destroyed by someone shooting Broadhead. So frustrating. I take my own target there from home to shoot broadheads at. It's pretty simple and fairly inexpensive. 🤔
Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Archery Range

Thanks for bringing this information up gentleman, I hadn't noticed this didn't get updated when we refreshed the website this past fall. I've corrected it & it now reads:

"The Archery Range consists of a main range and a 3D course. The main range has permanent target butts set at 20, 30, 40, and 50 meters and 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. There is also an elevated stand with a 5 meter drop for treestand practice.

The 3D course is a groomed trail walk approximately 400 meters long with 23 shooting lanes ranging from 20 to 40 yards in length. 3D targets are put out on the course in April and taken in early in September."

We feel ours is an exceptionally nice range and our Archery Director Pat Emerson keeps it immaculately maintained. I encourage you to contact Pat with questions at archery@spfga.ca
Old 03-09-2020, 05:38 PM

Do any of these places offer archery lessons for kids ?
Old 03-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Jimbows...my kids took a couple sessions and it greatly improved their techniques https://jimbowsarchery.ca/lessons
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Sherwood Park Club has junior lessons every Saturday.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:48 PM

Capital Region Archery Club is a great option for an indoor range inside Edmonton. They typically offer spring classes for kids and adults. Membership access is 24/7/365 which is very nice as well.

No outdoor range unfortunately.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:14 PM

Default Wyld Archery

Is Wyld still going? it is at 14805 Yellowhead Trail NW
Old 06-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Default Wyld

Yup, just ordered a new bow on Monday. Can't wait!!
Old 06-11-2020, 03:48 PM

Parkland Bowbenders should be accessible to you if you're on the West End as well.

https://parklandbowbenders.ca/
Old 06-11-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Parkland Bowbenders should be accessible to you if you're on the West End as well.

https://parklandbowbenders.ca/
You should see the new targets! Red stag, bison, bull moose to name a few. Entry road just got fixed too.