Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 03:19 PM

Default Alberta plastic manufacturer???

Looking for an Alberta plastic company which makes ATV storage boxes or trunks. My daughter recently purchased a quad which has a Tamarack wraparound storage trunk. I love it. Can't seem to get responses from the company. A friend mentioned a company out of Saskatchewan--Koenders--which made boxes. Response indicated not any longer. My question is whether or not there are any Alberta companies making them. Thanks. BEL
Old 03-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Check out “Hobblestone Enterprises “ out by Lloydminster, I haven’t been there for several years but they had some good stuff.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:12 PM

These guys look like a possibility, located in Crossfield.

https://www.promoldmarketing.com/specialty

Grizz
Old 03-30-2020, 04:58 PM

Phone: 780-674-3892 Toll free: 1-888-693-5402

Email: barrheadplastics@hotmail.com

Barrhead's Fantastic With Plastic!

tried to copy their web page header ,failed , they may be able to help
Old 03-30-2020, 04:59 PM

Not trying to be a jerk or smarty pants here - BUT If I'm picturing what you are talking about correctly that won't be possible to get/manufacture locally (at least not economically).

These things are made in a large injection molder or, more likely, using a roto-molder.

Physically large items like these need a big machine, and not many people will something have here in Alberta - you also need to tool (mould) which could be $6000-$18,000 for something of that size (just the mould).

And ..... since that's the case ....It's unlikely they will have the tool (mould) laying around the shop from the last guy that walked in and ordered "one".

This isn't something you can just walk in and have made.

Honestly your best bet is to find something on the internet that's close to what you are looking for .... approaching any manufacturer to make something new is an expensive proposition.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
Looking for an Alberta plastic company which makes ATV storage boxes or trunks. My daughter recently purchased a quad which has a Tamarack wraparound storage trunk. I love it. Can't seem to get responses from the company. A friend mentioned a company out of Saskatchewan--Koenders--which made boxes. Response indicated not any longer. My question is whether or not there are any Alberta companies making them. Thanks. BEL
I was just on Koenders website a few weeks ago, they made some good products
Old 03-30-2020, 05:55 PM

I have a Hobblestone Enterprises front box on my quad very well built they have a website with products they sell
Old 03-30-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Phone: 780-674-3892 Toll free: 1-888-693-5402

Email: barrheadplastics@hotmail.com

Barrhead's Fantastic With Plastic!

tried to copy their web page header ,failed , they may be able to help

X2.
I stopped in here a few years ago. Pipeline cones, water tanks and tubs for trailers. It doesn’t hurt to call and ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 07:16 PM

Check Cabelas. I think they carry what you are looking for. Canadian Tire has a good selection of boxes as well.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Not trying to be a jerk or smarty pants here - BUT If I'm picturing what you are talking about correctly that won't be possible to get/manufacture locally (at least not economically).

These things are made in a large injection molder or, more likely, using a roto-molder.

Physically large items like these need a big machine, and not many people will something have here in Alberta - you also need to tool (mould) which could be $6000-$18,000 for something of that size (just the mould).

And ..... since that's the case ....It's unlikely they will have the tool (mould) laying around the shop from the last guy that walked in and ordered "one".

This isn't something you can just walk in and have made.

Honestly your best bet is to find something on the internet that's close to what you are looking for .... approaching any manufacturer to make something new is an expensive proposition.
Well... You find new manufacturers all the time. We have many plastics companies in Alberta, so why not ask. As an example I just discovered Styrke Industries. These guys make toolboxes. Apparently extremely good ones to the point where the mechanics I've talked to would sooner have them than mac or snap on or whoever due to the quality. Then, for good measure, they are cheaper too.

No, I don't own one. Haven't even seen one in person. Just saying we do have some good manufacturers here in Alberta. Don't knock it cause you don't know of one.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Well... You find new manufacturers all the time. We have many plastics companies in Alberta, so why not ask. As an example I just discovered Styrke Industries. These guys make toolboxes. Apparently extremely good ones to the point where the mechanics I've talked to would sooner have them than mac or snap on or whoever due to the quality. Then, for good measure, they are cheaper too.

No, I don't own one. Haven't even seen one in person. Just saying we do have some good manufacturers here in Alberta. Don't knock it cause you don't know of one.
I was thinking the OP wanted an exact copy of it to be manufactured, looking back now, he's maybe looking for other similar products.

The product in question, is made with a roto mould. These machines require a mould to inject, then spin (rotate) the plastic while the machine cycles and it cools and solidifies. That was my point. These moulds are manufatured specific to each product they make and cost thousands and thousands of dollars - that was my point ,......

If the Op wants something similar, then he's ok.n Maybe someone makes something similar that would suit his needs.

If he's looking to have someone "manufacture" him a copy - then that's not an option no matter "how good" these manufacturers you say are - it simply isn't cost effective. They need to tool up to do that - that was my point.

I spent years in manufacturing and have direct experience in this area, and specifically in injection, blow, roto, film and other types of process (plastics)- so I'm just trying to give good advice.

I also know quite a few people in the industry and am familiar with who does what to some extent.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:45 PM

Have checked into some of these companies but so far have come up empty. Still checking. EZM, you are correct about these molds. The Tamarack has not been made for several years according to the company. They cant just make one because of the expense. I would imagine they are out there and i just have to find one. If I come across one which is similar I will prob buy it. Still checking out the companies those above here recommended. BEL
Old 03-31-2020, 06:32 AM

Marmit Plastics in GP has a roto molder.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I was thinking the OP wanted an exact copy of it to be manufactured, looking back now, he's maybe looking for other similar products.

The product in question, is made with a roto mould. These machines require a mould to inject, then spin (rotate) the plastic while the machine cycles and it cools and solidifies. That was my point. These moulds are manufatured specific to each product they make and cost thousands and thousands of dollars - that was my point ,......

If the Op wants something similar, then he's ok.n Maybe someone makes something similar that would suit his needs.

If he's looking to have someone "manufacture" him a copy - then that's not an option no matter "how good" these manufacturers you say are - it simply isn't cost effective. They need to tool up to do that - that was my point.

I spent years in manufacturing and have direct experience in this area, and specifically in injection, blow, roto, film and other types of process (plastics)- so I'm just trying to give good advice.

I also know quite a few people in the industry and am familiar with who does what to some extent.
All good bud. Yup, I'm familiar with the roto mold process. Consulted with one for a way to reduce QC issues a few years back. Was interesting.

We need to find ways to keep our local businesses operational and competitive. I prefer local (within reason - not going to pay what I think is an unfair price - but that doesn't mean the "made in China" price always wins either.).
Old 03-31-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
Wow!

Not to sidetrack your thread but there's a blast from my past!

Englefeld, SK is my mom's hometown. The Koender's shop used to be my grandpa's garage/service station back in the day. After he passed away in 77 my uncles ran it until they sold out to Koenders. I think two of my uncles worked for Koenders until they retired.

If memory serves me, the original building burnt down some years back and had to be rebuilt. I just checked and it did back in 2012

https://www.discoverhumboldt.com/loc...nders-building

Throw a rock in the Englefeld/Humboldt (dad was from Humboldt) region and you'll hit one of my family!

I was going to check Koenders website and get back to you but it looks like you've already done that so I don't have to bother.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 03-31-2020, 05:02 PM

Captn, maybe you have some pull. Even a used one would suffice. BEL
Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 PM

You might be able to get one 3d printed if you can find a 3d printer, and maybe take the box to them for a 3d scan.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
You might be able to get one 3d printed if you can find a 3d printer, and maybe take the box to them for a 3d scan.
That’s actually not a bad idea!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 PM

Default Boxs

Flixhopper in leathbridge