Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Fly Fishing Lake Trout

I've decided I want to try and get every Alberta Trout on the fly. I've heard Lakers move into shallower water in the spring and was hoping to try and get one. Was wondering if anybody had any pointers on where would be a good place to try? And tips would be awesome, thanks
Old 03-02-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Cuttie View Post
I've decided I want to try and get every Alberta Trout on the fly. I've heard Lakers move into shallower water in the spring and was hoping to try and get one. Was wondering if anybody had any pointers on where would be a good place to try? And tips would be awesome, thanks
I know a place, not sure where you are located but pm me and maybe we can do a tripe this spring.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:49 PM

I have caught a few from shore after ice off at Spray lakes. Depending on year late May or early June, by driftwood.

Best was 3 in one outing. Ice still in middle of lake. Seemed to be best by where temporary creeks ran into reservoir during melt. Black and white clouser on a sink tip.

There was someone here talking about Bow Lake. Can’t use bait in the park, but a clouser should work there too. Maybe do a search for that thread.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Done it a few times but not in Alberta. Just after ice off is best and it’s easier with a boat and electronics. I targeted large creeks that dropped off into deep water. I would let the fly swing out in the current and feed out extra line. When my line swung out of the current I would wait allowing it to sink the strip and pause retrieve. They either hit as my fly swung around the drop off or stripping it back after letting it sink

Heavy cone head rabbit strip flys with lots of flash. White and black/purple seemed to work best

I did use my fish finder to locate schools and It was done on a lake with good numbers. Nothing huge all between 2-7lbs
Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 AM

When I had my boat we would fly fish Lake Minnewanka every spring opening. There were a few spots great for early lakers in the shallows.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 AM

Surprisingly all my lakers in Alberta have come from fishing right on the bottom with a really big bloodworm under an indicator. If you are marking fish down low give it a try....they are a food source for all fish and lakers wont pass up an easy meal like that too often.

J
Old 03-03-2020, 10:48 AM

Awesome, thanks for all the tips. I should have mentioned I don't have a boat so I'll be fishing from shore. Appreciate all the tips for flies and techniques as well. Looks like I'll have a few places to check out this spring.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM

I was fortunate enough to catch a few small lakers (12-15") last June after watching and talking with a fellow fishing with cut bait. He told me to rig up my fly rod and put on a streamer featuring chartreuse colors. After searching through the streamer box I came up with a chartreuse/white Clouser minniow. The fishing was slow but I was rewarded with my first Laker on a fly.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:04 PM

We catch them shallow all summer long at my NWT fishing lodge on dries and streamers.
We are fortunate the water stays cold all summer long so they are on the surface all summer long.

Check out the fly fishing video that Chris Niccolls and Rick Moses of Bow River Troutfitters filmed with me last summer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AylmerLakeLodge