Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Default Refurbishing Old Motorhomes

Hubby just got a call from a friend about an old motorhome. It's a 26' 1978 something or other. I have no idea what class it is. His friend picked it up at auction a while ago, and he did a little bit of work to it. He no longer wants it, and is willing to sell it to us for little more than a song ($1500). It has been safetied, and is insured.

Hubby is very excited. I'm not (though I'm trying hard not to burst his bubble). I'm pretty skeptical of the whole thing. We're supposed to have a look at it this weekend.

Do any of you have photos of motorhomes that you've refurbished? I'd love to see some pics before we look at it, or at least read about some of the improvements you've made. I'd like to be able to view it optimistically.

Edit: Just found out it is a Pace Arrow.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by DarkAisling; 01-21-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 AM

Re-upholstery and new curtains are an economical way to quickly update an older interior.........
Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Buddy of mine did the same thing, bought an old motorhome, replaced curtains, flooring, re-upholstered, new tires, engine tuneup, added flatscreen for the kids. Then packed a repair kit ( spare alternator, battery, various belts and fluids) and took off for a 3 week tour to Alaska. Made it back no prob excepting it rained everyday save for one. I say give it a go but there is no changing the poor gas mileage...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Hey DA...wecome to the RV world.

I hear ya about your concerns. The big thing for me would be making sure it is Mechanically Sound. The thought of breaking down in the middle of nowhere with my wife and kids on vacation is enough to make me sick to my stomach. If the unit is mechanically sound then the rest is simply effort, materials and skills. I say this comfortably as the husband of a cabinet maker.
But really...what's inside an RV? Padded furniture, plumbing, electrical, some carpet, man toys, kitchen, toilet, AC, furnace, .....basically a house on wheels.

Okay....successfully talked ME out of ever doing something like this. Thanks for the post DA. Good Luck!!

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 PM

and if required there is a place east of Vernon on Hwy 6 that carries absolutely everything you would ever need for RV repair/up date. And they have a great selection of fishing equipment.

I hope you join the RV crowd!

t
Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Murphy's in leduc is a great place to buy RV stuff too.

I redid an old Dodge Class A years ago, stripped the junk paint off the cupboard and drawer doors and stained them a nice dark cherry, new paint, carpet, lino, self-upholstery and it looked like a million bucks.
I don't know if I would ever do it again, but it is a learning experience. The biggest thing is that it is safetied and insured, everything past that is just creature comforts if the engine/tranny/tires/rearend/steering/brakes are all good.
Have fun, and remember to post some pics when you get it done!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM

well i got a story for ya i took an old 1977 travel trailer and turned it into a 5th wheel that was alot of fun was kinda small so i sold it got all my money back plus more adn bought a bigger one but iw was fun working on it and building things. i would do it all over again if i had the chance but the old lady would kill me if i took away the 30ft 5th wheel. but what you are goign to do i think your on the rite track for a good starter motorhome you might be surprised and keep it for many years and have fun with it l Goood luck

Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Default Been there, won't return

A few years ago I bought a truck camper of a similar vintage with plans to fix it up. I spent most of a summer changing pretty much every system on the unit. I did the work myself as I'm fairly handy and had enough spare time. Most parts were hard to find so many things needed to be replaced entirely rather than just fixed up (a 3 way fridge is quite a bit more money than one you would put in your house and fixing them is a waste of money by the way). In the end I did resell it and might have broke even on the parts I put in, the labour (a few hundred hours) was a loss...it was also really tough to unload it as most people avoid older units despite the good condition.

Unless this thing is pristine and fully up to snuff mechanically I'd steer clear, Shop rates for repairs will kill you (some won't touch a unit that old) and in the end you'll be the proud owner of a 30 yr old motorhome that will have an insurance value of say $2000 and would be tough to sell on the open market for any more.

Just my $0.02
Zeke