Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Work for a Welder

Just thought I would see if anyone knows of any work out there. I have my own Welding truck and I am ok with going any where in the country. Very slow out there and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM

I heard a rumor a few weeks back that Core Energy was doing a 14" pipe line up near Ft. Liard. Might be worth a look. I heard that Ft. Nelson area is busy too.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 PM

I concur with the above post. lost of work in that area, maybe even a gas plant or two.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I concur with the above post. lost of work in that area, maybe even a gas plant or two.
Any names of these places.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 PM

Duke energy is up on the Muskwa Heights area of FT Nelly,I have worked running rigs and doing repairs out there up on the SYD, and in town at Canfor Polarboard.
I have also worked at Enersul and the BC Hydro Generating station there.
I have not worked at Tackama but I believe it is no longer in operation.

Pretty small community but it was lucrative when I was there.
If you ever go there stop in at Wapiti Sporting Goods and say hi to Cliff Erskine, the owner.
He is a good guy and has a nice little shop for the town.
I was there for nearly a year and loved it.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Default .

Not to sure if there is welding work, but i know my old man has been steady in Dawson Creek since everything has gotten slow. so maybe check it out. Lots of plants up there
Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 PM

Default work in bc

I liVe in fort saint john and am owner opperator of welding rig. the general rumor in town is that if more alberta welding rigs start showing up there is going to be some burning of rigs, just thought i would let you know. ppl wern't to happy about will bros and their 25 plus welders that showed up in fort nelson. not very cool!!!! I know of a few of the old boys in town that have been talking about burning up some rigs to make a point, dosnt sound good. just thought you would like to know ( mabie get bc plates if you find work
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM

Thats funny I know quite a few guys out here in A.B that are from B.C and have been making the payments on thier rigs with money earned in a different province and havent seen any of them on fire????
Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Thats funny I know quite a few guys out here in A.B that are from B.C and have been making the payments on thier rigs with money earned in a different province and havent seen any of them on fire????
this is very true i havn't heard of anyone burning rigs in bc for probably 20 some od years but some of the comments ive heard would indicate ppl might be headed that way. i dont condone it as the ppl in question dont desirve to be working as they all have ****ty attitudes. if some one can come to work over here and do the job why not hire them but at the same time they better be able to produce the same as bc welders! i talked to the xray hand on that encana job willbros was on and it was the highest repair rate he had ever seen, not one bc welder on the job! oh well i guess willbros will figure that one out in a hurry.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 AM

I welded pipeline in Ft. St. John all winter. Actually the area from Chetwynd to pink mountain. I never had any problems with local guys. Everybody was friendly. And I never saw any of our guys having trouble with x-ray. I wasn't with willbros though. I've never heard of them.

Core does have some work up there. I think they're doing tie ins right now.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrazy View Post
this is very true i havn't heard of anyone burning rigs in bc for probably 20 some od years but some of the comments ive heard would indicate ppl might be headed that way. i dont condone it as the ppl in question dont desirve to be working as they all have ****ty attitudes. if some one can come to work over here and do the job why not hire them but at the same time they better be able to produce the same as bc welders! i talked to the xray hand on that encana job willbros was on and it was the highest repair rate he had ever seen, not one bc welder on the job! oh well i guess willbros will figure that one out in a hurry.
Actually there were B.C. welders on the job (hence the high repair rate)

Actually on all of Willbros last 3 years of work ( summer and winter) there have been B.C. welders and 15+ years before that when then the company was Midwest Contractors there has always been B.C. welders hired. Not to mention countless hands in positions other than welding.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Default welders

I was at the same camp as the willbros guys, i would drive by the front end every day and never saw one bc welder you are mistaken!!! and i know this for a fact. twenty one welders not one blue plate on any rig. like i said i talked to the xray crews whom i know from other jobs, worst repair rate they have ever seen! Encana is pretty sticky with their welding code z662 zero bead defect, sevear cyclic been there done that ive seen lots of blue ribbons flying on pipelines **** happens. but not 20 ribbons in a row then one good weld and back to ribbons again. Willbros should have swaped guys out as soon as the ribbons started to fly. nuf said
Old 05-01-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I was at the same camp as the willbros guys, i would drive by the front end every day and never saw one bc welder you are mistaken!!! and i know this for a fact. twenty one welders not one blue plate on any rig. like i said i talked to the xray crews whom i know from other jobs, worst repair rate they have ever seen! Encana is pretty sticky with their welding code z662 zero bead defect, sevear cyclic been there done that ive seen lots of blue ribbons flying on pipelines **** happens. but not 20 ribbons in a row then one good weld and back to ribbons again. Willbros should have swaped guys out as soon as the ribbons started to fly. nuf said
Well why didn't they?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM

I've chased pipeline with my welding truck in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. The place I've found welders to have the worst "I'm a god attitude" is in B.C. I just didn't happen to meet anybody like that this past winter.

Anyways, back on topic. I did get a phone call from a spread this morning. He says he hears that there is gonna be a bit of work after May long week end.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM

yeah back on topic.* sounds like after road bans come off there should be work.* prob around first week of june thats what ive heard from some of the companys in town.* as for me ive got a grizzly hunt to go on then a stone sheep hunt aug 1 in the spatizzi should be pretty good year for hunting
Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
What were you doing on that job, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Default encana work

I was working for a company that was building the compressor site for the encana pipeline, willbros kickoff was on our site and at the start of the job they were there every morning for their safety meeting. pretty large job one of the bigger ones ive been on, ive done a couple jobs in alberta now ( i know im now the hypacrit but i never said to not come to work in bc, just gave some advice that i thought might help) one in cold lake and one in fort mac as well as some north of gp and right along alberta bc border. every one i worked with was very well manered and good ppl and i think most of the ppl in bc are the same way but every now and then you get the bad apples.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 PM

One of my friends was talking to guy in Ft. Nelson who said that lots of the work up there was being done by out of towners and that they would just go right to camp and not even stop in town... Just what I heard. I also know that the Cat Rental store up there is busy and I believe it is gas-field (similar to CE Franklin and Apex) Has been flat out in. So theres got to be some stuff happen.

I would still call Core (I know there is shop in Red Deer)

Hey anybody hear anything about Waschuck Pipeline in Red Deer? Drove past their the other day and there is hardly any iron in the yard, A few cats in the shop being worked on. Maybe they are working!?!?! I am not sure Also there is Kidd Contracting right there too....
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM

All of waschuks Iron is in Saskatchewan, June 1st kick off.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM

The way I figure it is some person is going to burn their rig in protest of out of town EXPIERANCED workers then let them. Their loss guess they won't be able to go to work after that.

Lots of guys from all over here in Ab, BC and Sask oil field. Sounds like some old boys don't like to not be in control of their area. Get over it that part of the country is going to grow with further interest. You are either on the boat or off the boat. Either way everyone needs to feed their family.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
The way I figure it is some person is going to burn their rig in protest of out of town EXPIERANCED workers then let them. Their loss guess they won't be able to go to work after that.
I think your on the wrong track here.... Its the locals burning out of towners rigs so they keep theirs working.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:53 AM

I just saw an add, Flint Energy is looking for welders. You might want to check them out.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 AM

you people have to remember we are all on the same team here, flint, ipac, r big in gp based outta calgary but have shops in bc fsj like come on, and u wonder y albertans are goin to bc.....thats where the work is. I have been there as well, i herd about burining of welding rigs i herd about the rig welders doin wobbels like whatever....its work we either stick together or not. sounds like a bunch of ho bows that don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. Be honest i am only 2nd yr apprentice but alberta red seal is gonna put me any where i want to go weather u like it or not. Only provnce that offers red seal to go any where in the world. Burn my rig if it makes u feel better, thats y we have theft and fire insurance. LMFAO!!!!!!!! like omg $500 deductiable to get all our **** back so be it if u feel better about ya self....BURN IT THEN!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:20 AM

It's been my experience over the years that BC companies welcome and sometimes prefer Alberta's Skilled labor and trades, say what you want but Albertan's seem to work at a little quicker pace if you no what I mean...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Sorry my bad on the burning rigs. It is all clear now.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Only provnce that offers red seal to go any where in the world. QUOTE]

WRONG!!! the Red Seal given in Alberta is the SAME as the one given in BC this goes for all our trades look it up. An alberta may be preffered but there is no difference in Red Seals (interprovincial)
Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I liVe in fort saint john and am owner opperator of welding rig. the general rumor in town is that if more alberta welding rigs start showing up there is going to be some burning of rigs, just thought i would let you know. ppl wern't to happy about will bros and their 25 plus welders that showed up in fort nelson. not very cool!!!! I know of a few of the old boys in town that have been talking about burning up some rigs to make a point, dosnt sound good. just thought you would like to know ( mabie get bc plates if you find work
Doesn't make any differance B.C. NFLD. Pick a province everyone wants from Alberta but God forbid that Alberta should ever get anything back.

Last edited by Donny Bear; 05-04-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Bad Spelling
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Doesn't make any differance B.C. NFLD. Pick a province everyone wants from Alberta but God forbid that Alberta shuld ever get anything back.
No Kidding Hey!!!! Very Well Put Donny!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM

[rig if it makes u feel better, thats y we have theft and fire insurance. LMFAO!!!!!!!! like omg $500 deductiable to get all our **** back so be it if u feel better about ya self....BURN IT THEN!!!!!![/QUOTE]

You must not have dealt with an insurance company before.

I've heard the oil plays in Saskatchewan are still busy - anyone know if that is true?