Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1651  
Old 07-23-2023, 04:08 PM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,836
Default

For a hunting knife, I still donít think anything beats Dan Crotts semi skinner.

Reply With Quote
  #1652  
Old 07-23-2023, 04:56 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
For a hunting knife, I still donít think anything beats Dan Crotts semi skinner.


Theyíre an amazing design.


Reply With Quote
  #1653  
Old 07-23-2023, 05:04 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

Those two knives are extremely functional works of art in my eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #1654  
Old 07-24-2023, 08:04 AM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,836
Default

Another one that is absolutely fantastic is Bob Dozierís Semi Skinner. A little smaller than Crotts, but equally functional.

Reply With Quote
  #1655  
Old 07-24-2023, 08:58 AM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Another one that is absolutely fantastic is Bob Dozierís Semi Skinner. A little smaller than Crotts, but equally functional.

I hate to say this, but I couldnít see myself buying a Dozier made by Mucio. Who on earth is Mucio? I know heís always ďbusy in the shop.Ē I would rather get Phil McCracken or Clint Chisan to trace a Dozier for a pattern. Know what Iím saying
Reply With Quote
  #1656  
Old 07-24-2023, 09:36 AM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,836
Default

Whomever made it did an exceptional job.
Reply With Quote
  #1657  
Old 07-31-2023, 11:01 AM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,836
Default

Iíve posted that Loveless semi skinner for sale. I have another coming and am getting top heavy. Lol
Reply With Quote
  #1658  
Old 07-31-2023, 09:09 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,751
Default

What do you have coming? I understand you just keep on buying to find the best! But you may have already done that!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Iíve posted that Loveless semi skinner for sale. I have another coming and am getting top heavy. Lol
Reply With Quote
  #1659  
Old 07-31-2023, 09:41 PM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,836
Default

Same knife, just in Magnacut
Reply With Quote
  #1660  
Old 08-01-2023, 06:38 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,751
Default

I think you will enjoy the magnacut! but the D2 is great too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Same knife, just in Magnacut
Reply With Quote
  #1661  
Old 08-01-2023, 10:37 PM
ghfalls ghfalls is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Iíve posted that Loveless semi skinner for sale. I have another coming and am getting top heavy. Lol
Mustíve gone quick. Canít find


Good stuff goes quick. Mustíve been priced well.
Reply With Quote
  #1662  
Old 08-04-2023, 07:36 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

Damn good knife for cleaning fish. Like really good.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1663  
Old 08-04-2023, 11:59 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Damn good knife for cleaning fish. Like really good.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I wouldnít of picked it for a good fish knife but the proof is in the pudding. Your picture reminded me of the silver skin that your supposed to leave on a fillet.





The Japanese have forgotten more about fish handling, preparation and consumption then Iíll ever learn although Iíve done plenty of research and practice some of what they preach. They believe a perfect fillet retains all the silver on the meat.

Someone should start a thread on proper fish handling as most people make many, many mistakes.
Reply With Quote
  #1664  
Old 08-05-2023, 05:33 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

You gotta be really good to leave all the silver on a fish. Walleye being so lean to begin with, donít really have as thick a silver to begin with. A pike or lake trout would be easier.

Next time I may scale, salt, then deep fry the skin.
Reply With Quote
  #1665  
Old 08-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You gotta be really good to leave all the silver on a fish.

True story.
Reply With Quote
  #1666  
Old 08-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,207
Default

Just finished this semi skinner for a AO fellow's family member.

It is a 1084 Carbon Steel blade, with a satin finish. Hardwood he chose was Zebrawood, finished with "Noble Wax" (Carnauba and beeswax). Great wood protection. Added an olive green G10 liner to it. Brass pins to complete it.
Also comes with a Kydex sheath (no pics).




Reply With Quote
  #1667  
Old 08-08-2023, 10:57 AM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,751
Default

Looks great Phil!

QUOTE=Phil McCracken;4652535]Just finished this semi skinner for a AO fellow's family member.

It is a 1084 Carbon Steel blade, with a satin finish. Hardwood he chose was Zebrawood, finished with "Noble Wax" (Carnauba and beeswax). Great wood protection. Added an olive green G10 liner to it. Brass pins to complete it.
Also comes with a Kydex sheath (no pics).




[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #1668  
Old 08-09-2023, 06:32 AM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,207
Default

Couple more semi skinners recently finished for a couple of AO members. Both 1084 Carbon Steel:

Olive green/black/beige multi color G10 handles with brass pins. C/W tan Kydex sheath.




Black Burlap Micarta, Ivory G10 liners, and copper pins. C/W black Kydex sheath.


Reply With Quote
  #1669  
Old 08-09-2023, 07:06 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,751
Default

And a couple more great looking knives!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Couple more semi skinners recently finished for a couple of AO members. Both 1084 Carbon Steel:

Olive green/black/beige multi color G10 handles with brass pins. C/W tan Kydex sheath.




Black Burlap Micarta, Ivory G10 liners, and copper pins. C/W black Kydex sheath.



Last edited by badbrass; 08-09-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1670  
Old 08-25-2023, 10:27 PM
fishnguy fishnguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,715
Default

Nice knives there, Phil.

Any of the Crotts semi skinner owners want to take a picture of it for me on graphing paper? I was pretty sure I saw one (or something similar) in this thread before, but scrolled through numerous pages and it ainít there. Granted, quite a few pics appear to be gone though.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #1671  
Old 08-25-2023, 10:57 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Nice knives there, Phil.

Any of the Crotts semi skinner owners want to take a picture of it for me on graphing paper? I was pretty sure I saw one (or something similar) in this thread before, but scrolled through numerous pages and it ainít there. Granted, quite a few pics appear to be gone though.

Thanks.

IIRC, Pathfinder76 has 13 or 14 kickin around at any given time. Iím sure he could hook you up
Reply With Quote
  #1672  
Old 08-25-2023, 11:10 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I wouldnít of picked it for a good fish knife but the proof is in the pudding. Your picture reminded me of the silver skin that your supposed to leave on a fillet.





The Japanese have forgotten more about fish handling, preparation and consumption then Iíll ever learn although Iíve done plenty of research and practice some of what they preach. They believe a perfect fillet retains all the silver on the meat.

Someone should start a thread on proper fish handling as most people make many, many mistakes.
What do you guys think is harder on a knife?

A) Fileting and deboning 15 walleye cutting through the ribs

Or

B) Skinning an average deer
Reply With Quote
  #1673  
Old 08-26-2023, 01:36 AM
fishnguy fishnguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
IIRC, Pathfinder76 has 13 or 14 kickin around at any given time. Iím sure he could hook you up
Lol. I was debating to sent him a pm instead
Reply With Quote
  #1674  
Old 08-26-2023, 07:36 AM
270person 270person is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What do you guys think is harder on a knife?

A) Fileting and deboning 15 walleye cutting through the ribs

Or

B) Skinning an average deer


Me, sharpening it.
__________________
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.
Reply With Quote
  #1675  
Old 08-26-2023, 08:47 AM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,836
Default



Reply With Quote
  #1676  
Old 08-26-2023, 12:25 PM
fishnguy fishnguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,715
Default

Much obliged, Pathfinder.
Reply With Quote
  #1677  
Old 08-26-2023, 02:09 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What do you guys think is harder on a knife?

A) Fileting and deboning 15 walleye cutting through the ribs

Or

B) Skinning an average deer
IDK but neither is very hard on a blade. That said, depends how one skins a deer and if thereís any debris or mud on the hide. And by all of that I mean, how are they cutting around the leg, are they hitting bone, are you picking the joints apart, if you are cutting around bone and through joints are you acting like you care about the edge or more like a bull in a China shop? Is there mud on it anywhere or is it just a couple of straight cuts and then mostly pulling the hide down off the body?

A walleye only seems hard on a blade because most fillet knife steel is comparable to cheese, not because the fish was tough to cut through.


On both tasks, if the knife shows any edge degradation itís not top shelf.
Reply With Quote
  #1678  
Old 08-28-2023, 07:19 AM
gulo gulo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 67
Default

Grohmann's #1 (smaller) or #4 all the way. Designed after the old roach-belly which was the favorite of many mountainmen and fur traders. Fantastic design.
Reply With Quote
  #1679  
Old 08-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,207
Default

Ordered and received today this attachment for my 2X72 grinder.

It is a 9 inch flat grinder, which can be used vertically and horizontally. Excellent tool for flat grinding blades,scales, and a bunch of other tasks.

As you see, the grinder turns by using a 2X72 belt, and can be operated at different speeds through my variable speed controller. Also works forward/reverse.

Test drove it on a few heat treated Magnacut blades/scales I presently got on the go.

Should have bought one of these long time ago! Does a great job and will save on a whole lot of hand sanding.

Not really a "hunting knife" topic, but thought I'd share...



Reply With Quote
  #1680  
Old 08-28-2023, 05:55 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,462
Default

Itís Christmas morning in the McCracken house!

Nice work!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.