Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Finally..an honest question that I can answer....hopefully..

First of all I would have been a little scared because we all know that there is a lot of weirdo's out there..druggies and such..and god knows what else..

So anyway...I would tell the old lady to call the cops..that would be job #1

Job #2 would be to make sure my kids were safe..

Job #3 would be to yell out to the culprits...*a blue streak*

Job #4 I would shoot my shotgun into the air to scare the culprits.

Job #5 I would not be charged with shooting someone in the back..
Any Cops here to add to this??
Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 AM

I just noticed this morning that they have started petitions for Brian Knight at a few local businesses around the area, stating that the signed individuals support Brian Knights actions and think that he should be acquited.

Just another way we can help support him. I know the gas station in Clive has one at the counter, and they said they are a few more floating around. Keep your eyes open if you are interested.

I also noticed that it was not there yesterday morning, and this morning it has almost 3 pages filled. Hopefully this is a good indication what a jury of his peers would think.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
And what if your kid is a druggie and steals things??

Should we shoot him in the back?

It would be more pleasant than the punishment his dear ol' dad had waiting for him.

Having been a victim of theft quite recently, i understand the emotions Mr Knight was feeling at the time. A combination of absolute rage, desperation and a terrible feeling of personal violation all come to mind. If you can't impart that emotional hurt upon those who are causing it, then some physical hurt is in order.

The theif should just be glad he wasn't caught at my place, i am all out of buckshot, and may have had to resort to slugs
Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM

Not the back, Send a load or two of shot, or even better rock salt, in their ass. Because obviously, they didn't get their ass tanned enough when they were young so we've got a lot of catching up to do.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default good going

Sorry, I have a hard time feeling sorry for these thieves.

What are Mr. Knight's options going to be as far as a jury trial? And what options will be available to a jury? Will the local prosecutor push to move this case to an urban court setting? I know that in a small town area no matter what the "law" is a jury of good ole boys would have no problem in giving the judge the finger and sending Mr. Knight home with a medal pinned on his chest.

I know it sounds like he broke the law, but, dammit, maybe we wouldn't be forced into these acts of frustration IF the courts would lock these losers up in the first place. As far as I'm concerned the people responsible for these punks getting shot (after the punks themselves) are those in the justice system that see to it that these rapscallions are free to terrorize the good citizens of the countryside.

And another thing. I get damned sick and tired of hearing police tell us law abiding citizens that WE need to use a "club" or get extra locks, or hide stuff away etc. THEY (meaning the justice system not necessarily the police) need to start getting these punks off the streets and locked up. Almost every one of these cases involves thugs that were "known to local law enforcement". DUH! One chance for a mistake and then LOCK THEM UP for some serious time. The Alberta Stimulus package could be building prisons.

If I was on the jury for this guy he would be walking. And if I was the judge I would be chastising the local constabulary/prosecutor for bothering him and his family with charges. Time for the "people" to start taking this country back.

good to be back by the way.
Rug
Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Berating someone or calling him 'ignorant' for posting his opinion on someone who used excessive force and broke the law is pretty weak. Whether or not you agree or disagree with what the shooter did is one thing, but Jester's post is a reflection of the laws involved....

He is charged with this, and considered innocent....it is your opinion that he is guilty. In my opinion jesters opinion is ignorant and therefore my post is as valid a post as yours......
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Berating someone or calling him 'ignorant' for posting his opinion on someone who used excessive force and broke the law is pretty weak. Whether or not you agree or disagree with what the shooter did is one thing, but Jester's post is a reflection of the laws involved....

He is charged with this, and considered innocent....it is your opinion that he is guilty. In my opinion jesters opinion is ignorant and therefore my post is as valid a post as yours......
Sorry you're right.....I should have changed my post to 'someone who has been charged with' as I (and everyone else here) dont know nearly enough of the details to make any judgement of innocence or guilt myself.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I wish EVERYONE on every thread would take Rack's advice. When we start insulting those who calmly put forward a position that isn't in line with our own, it suggests we don't have any logic or evidence left. Sprited debate is fine, even passionate, but when the "you are showing how ignorant you are" comments start coming out....

Last edited by Okotokian; 04-03-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post

That's an interesting spin on what you originally said. So let's look at it:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Shooting at someone if your life is in danger is one thing..

Shooting at someone who stole your quad is attempted murder.

Ok then...let the hate begin.. (end of Jester's post)

Living up to your name again jester, as well as showing your ignorance......ever been robbed?? "

You were not discussing any assumption of guilt or innocence. You stated Jester was living up to his nickname, this making your attack personal. You then said he was showing ignorance. YOu then said "ever been robbed?". One must assume that if one had been robbed, it would be obvious that shooting the robber was a completely appropriate action. "ever been robbed?" has nothing to do with presumption of guilt or the legal process.

He stated his opinion about the morality of shooting someone, you stated yours, but you threw in a little venom as well. Now you've changed your tack and tried to argue you were just pointing out the ignorance of a position (assumption of guilt) that wasn't even in question.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Since when does theft warrant a death sentence? Hope some of yas don't ever have a loved one that does something stupid like stealing and they get killed for it.
People get killed doing stupid things daily but when the stupid thing they are doing is stealing it's bad? Bottom line being a thief is wrong and stupid and to defend it is as well. Darwinism is alive and well in texas and as much as I don't want it to get to that extent here, the fact that we cannot use whatever means "neccesary" to protect our home/family/and property is reprehensible. Thieves can use whatever means they feel is neccesary to steal so why not level the playing field.....so some scum crackhead doesn't get whacked and instead od's??
Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
So yeah...Let's shoot them in the back...

That would be breaking the Law..So are you willing to give up your rights?

Don't get me wrong..I'm in favour of the death penalty...BUT..

I say let the courts decide...not you backyard yahoos with a 12 guage..
And I suppose your ok with the 1/2 million in tax dollars that goes to actually getting around to flipping the switch on these who are convicted of a henious enough crime to warrant the death penalty?(and I guarantee it would have to be pretty henious in this liberal arena)
Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

And another thing. I get damned sick and tired of hearing police tell us law abiding citizens that WE need to use a "club" or get extra locks, or hide stuff away etc. THEY (meaning the justice system not necessarily the police) need to start getting these punks off the streets and locked up. Almost every one of these cases involves thugs that were "known to local law enforcement". DUH! One chance for a mistake and then LOCK THEM UP for some serious time. The Alberta Stimulus package could be building prisons.

Rug
please note that the front line police are only doing the best they can while their hands are tied by the liberal courts. I am sure that they would rather be telling the victime to buy a gun and use this type of load etc. but they really don't have that option. I applaud the police for their efforts and sympathise (sp??) with their continued frustration with putting these animals away only to have some slick lawyer and a bleeding heard judge kick them back out onto the street a day or so later.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM

I will reserve my opinion on the allegations in which this person has been charged, for the simple fact that there has already been enough cop bashing and comments made about police actions and why the police would lay charges ect.

I deal with enough b.s. for 12 hours of my shift, and I dont need to come here for personal attacks based on my occupation. I will say this however, I can empathasize with this male, but dont agree with how this all went down. Now don't get me worng, I agree with the previous posters who commented about the personal violation and frustration of having theives or any criminal for that matter come on your property in order to commit a crime. At the end of the day though, this crime was simply a "property" offense. I have been victimized myself (hell, we all probably have at one point or another), but is it "worth it" in the end to do what this person did? I cant answer that, time will tell.

Bitch all u want about the police doing nothing ect, but the reality is our judicial system is designed to avoid scenarios such as this. We have law enforcement who's responsibility it is to investigate offenses such as this so the property owner doesnt have to get involved. I am all for protecting your own property, but how does one "legally justify" shooting someone fleeing away with a shotgun?

This person posed no articulable threat to the home owner, based on what has been released thru the media thus far, and emotions aside, u simply can not plug a guy with a firearm cuz ur "****ed off, upset, frustrated, violated" or any emotion. Believe me, if i could, my job would be a lot more rewarding.

So many people have commented on saying that they would have done the same thing, but I highly doubt many would. I base this on experience as I am the one often responding to complaints like this and have yet to attend a scene where a person has been shot while trying to steal something.

The issue is now before the courts, I will be surprised if the matter actually goes to trial by a jury. It will likely be judge alone. People have no idea the amount of grief this guy has caused himself. The stress, emotional and physical, monetary costs it will end up costing, ect, are things many people dont ever consider when posting on these forums. I have no doubt that once this starts to sink in, the guy will be wishing he would have simply called the rcmp and let them deal with it.

As to why the person was charged with to begin with is simple. The police have to remain impartial and cant let their personal feelings or beliefs dictate whether or not we will lay charges. This person has made a complaint feeling that (right or wrong) he was assaulted. The police have to investigate. We can only gather the evidence before us and make a determination based on the current law, whether a criminal code offense has been committed. Plain and simple. There was obviously enough reasonable and probable grounds for charges to be laid (7 in fact). The matter is now before the courts, as it should be.

It isnt up to the police to determine guilt or innocense, simply whether or not an offense has been committed. The courts can determine if he is guilty or not. Too many people are throwing their opinions based on knowing little actual "facts" about this matter or any actual knowledge based on the criminal code. Simply saying what should have been done based on feelings and emotions doesnt cut it. There are so many things going on behind the scenes and steps of a investigation of this magnitute that led to charges being laid.

This person is presumed innocent until proven guilty, so leave it at that.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

My step mom grew up with the Knight family. We just had a long talk this morning and she told me alot about this fella. From what I gathered, the guy has had constant trouble with theft from his place, and I for one can sure sympathize with his frusteration, and I'll stick my neck out to say I probably would have done the same thing.

Whether or not he intended to kill the thief is something only he'll ever know, but from what I am told today, he's the kind of fella that would have intended to pepper his ass and keep him there, not kill him.

Third hand info at best, sorry guys.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

I can sympathize with the police on this one, but surely at some point a person comes to a point where enough is enough. To some its just a property crime, but to someone who has had stuff taken from him over and over again it gets to be a theft not just of property but of time spent working to attain that property.

I don't mean to come down on the police on this one, as I am sure that they must get just as frustrated at having to investigate the same jerks over and over again. But if there is no price to pay for theft then you can surely see why that would lead some people to shooting at someone who just tried to rob you.

I can assure you that I would likely never be able to shoot someone just for stealing something of mine, but I can damn sure sympathize and understand why someone would do it. The simple answer to all of this should be that if you don't want to risk your life getting shot then don't steal. We should NOT be sending out the message that the law is here to protect thieves from being assaulted and potentially killed. If anything, we should be upping the cost/benefit ratio for them. Theft has become a crime that is too easily committed with no real consequences to the type of people that commit them.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Bitch all u want about the police doing nothing ect, but the reality is our judicial system is designed to avoid scenarios such as this.
Based on the extremely high number of repeat offenders in Canada,due to the fact that punishments that our courts hand out are not much of a deterrent,our judicial system is the reason that scenarios like this occur at all.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Based on the extremely high number of repeat offenders in Canada,due to the fact that punishments that our courts hand out are not much of a deterrent,our judicial system is the reason that scenarios like this occur at all.
X 2!!!...said I was done with this , but....12 Ga. w'Rock salt...or a panty waist judge?????......hhmmmmmmmm????????
Old 04-03-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Theft has become a crime that is too easily committed with no real consequences to the type of people that commit them.
In as much that this is true, and that "bad" people do "bad" things, there is a growing sentiment out there that this "bad" stuff can't be tolerated anymore. Some of the "good" are willing to cross that line of toleration and deal with things on their own. Whatever the mindset of lawbreakers, they best be thinking that there actually are those out there that will not just call the cops.
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:

What are Mr. Knight's options going to be as far as a jury trial? And what options will be available to a jury? Will the local prosecutor push to move this case to an urban court setting? I know that in a small town area no matter what the "law" is a jury of good ole boys would have no problem in giving the judge the finger and sending Mr. Knight home with a medal pinned on his chest.

I know it sounds like he broke the law, but, dammit, maybe we wouldn't be forced into these acts of frustration IF the courts would lock these losers up in the first place. As far as I'm concerned the people responsible for these punks getting shot (after the punks themselves) are those in the justice system that see to it that these rapscallions are free to terrorize the good citizens of the countryside.

If I was on the jury for this guy he would be walking. And if I was the judge I would be chastising the local constabulary/prosecutor for bothering him and his family with charges. Time for the "people" to start taking this country back.

Rug
x2 I for one will be makong a donation to Mr Knights defence fund and hope the rest of you guys that feel the same way can contribute as well

Ian
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Rug
sorry guys double posted
Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
x2 we need I for one will be makong a donation to Mr Knights defence fund and hope the rest of you guys that feel the same way can contribute as well

Ian
his options regarding judge alone or judge and jury are his and his lawyers.....ONE right we still have...no doubt the crown will push for judge alone...or moving the issue to a more urban location
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM

ive had my truck broke into and beat up pretty bad in the last 8 months ive lived in my new house. thought i was moving to a better part of town. last time they cause just under 5000.00 damage to my truck. interior was destroyed. my promise to myself is that if i can ever possibly catch one of these kids im going to cause some incredibly serious damage to this *****s face. im talking disfigurement.

im so tired of having the things that i work hard for taken from me. and for what? most likely be sold for drug money?

at least i found my 16gb ipod touch at the pawnshop. the police were REALLY quick to get that back....lol. they basically told me i was **** out of luck. wouldnt take finger prints wouldnt do a thing. and they expect people to just put up with this crap.

all i know is that if these *****s get in my house they better be out before i get to the spare bedroom or someones losing there legs....sorry for the rant.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 PM

I just hope the dude is judged as the criminals are judged. That should assure that he is afforded every benefit of the doubt thought imaginable. In that case he will be found guilty of accidental discharge of a firearem as a result of a bad childhood and poor work environment and be allowed to walk free after a few hours of community service. He will also likely be able to file suit for some restitution for the emotional stress this has caused him and his family.

Thanks to those that think the justice system is what it is and beyond reproach we can expect more of the same. Thanks bleeding hearts! When my wife is shot and paralzed and the guy walks after a year or two I bet I'll be even more appreciative of your protection of our current "justice system". Sad that it'll take someone's own family being directly affected before they wake up and see the light. Too bad it'll be too late.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 PM

For you guys that are not too excited about what the farmer did here is a thought I just had. Do you remember the name ROSKO and the Mayerthorpe shootings? I doubt that this kid stealing quads is as bad as Rosko right now but at one time or another Rosko was just like this kid. Nothing ever stopped Rosko until people that were inocent were killed. I think harsher punishments or more skum like this being shot is not a bad thing in my books. I believe it is not right that a life be given for stealing something but at the same time the kid made his choices and if it came to him loosing his life over it I have no sypathy for him.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
bullseye!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Just to clear thing's up about Brian shooting the theif in the back. He did not shoot him in the back or did he intend to shoot him at all the guy just ended up with a couple shots (B.B) in his arm. Though I thought I would do the same as Brian did I have reconsidered my thoughts. A good can of Bear spray and some zip ties seem like as much force as necessary to me now.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Banned

lol....this is for all of you bad boyz....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV2ju156fmA
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM

The small thing I'd like to point out in this instance is we (some posts) have been refer to these guys as "kids". They where 30 plus years old, known to police. Not kids on a joyride or a dare...adult decisions.
chain
Old 04-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Thumbs up Self defence

I copied the posting about the defence fund then e-mailed it to everybody I know. I thought that it would help get the word around. He did the right thing. It is his right to defend his home, and property. It is my right to help defend his actions with a contribution.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:48 PM

Question Lets think outside the box a minute here.....

I keep hearing on this and different websites, "is it worth shooting someone for steeling your quad", good question, but heres one back at ya's...

Is steeling a quad worth getting shot over? Especially if ya steel it from someone who is AS WILLING to step outside the law to PROTECT there property, as the theif is to REMOVE their property FROM them?

And where is the line that its ok to shoot someone for aggressive acts taken against you?

Well, ok, but....

How much are you willing to do before your not, as a theif, willing to get shot at????

For some, steeling property is the most important thing they do in there life, or thats their thought pattern.......
For others, there thought pattern is that the most important thing in life, is, PROTECTING the most important things in their lives......

Dont tread on me.......... because the most important thing in MY life, is in fact, PROTECTING the most important things i have in my live.

And yeah, my quad is more important to me, than a "pill-heads" fix is to him.