Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Default Possible Bad Case

I have a case that I think might not be worth reloading and wanted your opinions.

it is a 6.5x47 Lapua case made by Lapua. It has been fired 5 times. Many of my cases have scuff marks from my chamber but this one has a near perfect circle about a 1/4 of the way up from the head. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad case.jpg (28.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:33 PM

Default Case Head seperation

I have never had a case head separate in 10 years of reloading. I am a modestly competent reloader but not anywhere near an expert the likes of many of you gents on the forum. I am not sure if what I am looking at is something to be nervous about.

I am also very fussy about having exactly 100 cartridges with 100 cases with 100 bullets. Maybe OCD but I hate to through out a case and mess up my balance.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Default Head Seperation

I have seen some head separations or cases that looked like they were about to separate and the circle was always a lot closer to the head and the circle was a dark color, not shiny like yours appears to be.

By the looks of the case I would think you could load it one more time and see what it looks like after the next firing. It doesn't look like a case that is bound to separate if loaded again.

Of course the least worrying course of action would be to just discard the case and not worry about potential problems by loading it again.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have a case that I think might not be worth reloading and wanted your opinions.

it is a 6.5x47 Lapua case made by Lapua. It has been fired 5 times. Many of my cases have scuff marks from my chamber but this one has a near perfect circle about a 1/4 of the way up from the head. Thoughts?
I suggest you use a dental pick or bent wire to feel the inside the case looking for a groove or wall thinning at that location.
A bore scope or even a USB cheap camera may also be helpful.
I built a rig to use my concentricity gauge to compare case neck and wall thickness using a dial indicator. The RCBS case concenricity tool has a similar function. It is just a heavy rod with a sharp tip, bent as required.

Do any other similar cases from the same (or other) lot and history show similar marking?
Any chance of some oil or cleaning chemical residue in your chamber?

I will be at the Thorncliffe Show tomorrow, if you want to bring the case and chat.
I expect my table will be at my previous location in the corner of the small room.
(I will have spare space if you want to share my table, send me a PM or just come early.)

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Thanks

You sir are the Man! I dont think I will make it to the show as I hope to be shooting tommorow. I might even take a poke at 1000m so wish me luck.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM

If your other brass has been shot the same amount out the same gun chances are great they will be close to separating as well . Be sure to check them as described before using .
Old 09-14-2018, 03:19 PM

I have 20+ reloads on my ‘47 brass. I don’t load it hot ... MV of 2850 for 130 Ber VLD’s.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM

looks like you put your brass back in it's ammo box neck down. looks to me like it's been in the case during a bit of carrying and put the mark on the brass; nothing to worry about.
for ease of mind do the bent paper clip check for head seperation; but the mark is well above where heads tend to seperate in my opinion.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:33 PM

I had a 7mm Rem Mag Federal case almost separate on me on it’s 3rd firing. It looked like your case on the part that didn’t separate.

I had taken factory federal ammo and just neck sized it. On the 3rd firing (2x reload) it split halfway around the case.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
looks like you put your brass back in it's ammo box neck down. looks to me like it's been in the case during a bit of carrying and put the mark on the brass; nothing to worry about.
for ease of mind do the bent paper clip check for head seperation; but the mark is well above where heads tend to seperate in my opinion.
/\ /\ /\ /\

here's thee answer above!
Incipient case separation looks a bit different than that, I have driven myself nuts measuring the inside of cases until I realized that the marks were in fact from a storage case!
Cat
Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 PM

Default Me either

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have 20+ reloads on my ‘47 brass. I don’t load it hot ... MV of 2850 for 130 Ber VLD’s.
I am loading mine at 36.5 grans of varget with 123scenar. I didnt have any pressure issues until over 37.5 I think the case down answer is right. After thinking about it that’s what I did. Its been dusty and dry and i think i put them mouth down so as not to get as dirty.

Last edited by markg; 09-14-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:32 AM
Shooting Xs

Put the brass back in the storage case to see if the mark lines up .I'm assuming there were other brass in the storage case with this piece of brass shown ,odd that it was the only one showing the rub mark.
Not saying this isn't the cause ,you'd think other brass would show similar rub marks though.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Banned

Discard and carry on!
Old 09-15-2018, 07:52 AM

Yup.

It’s likely from your MTM box.

There are no absolutes