Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Central Alberta lakes

Anyone else having very low catch rates on central lakes? I have yet to catch more than 3 trout a trip. Steady decline in last 3 years for me. Seems like 4-5 years ago I could get 15-20 decent fish a trip. 2017 was so so but this year is bad. My one trip to the Ram was down a good 80%. I didn't hear of any winterkill this year in central lakes. At Beaver Lake they seemed to have vanished for the most part, hardly any rising fish. My last 2 trips there I caught 1 per trip and had to work for those. Interested to hear your experiences this year. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:25 AM

I’m not fishing central lakes but everything down south in the last 3 years I have found a little less productive. I don’t get out as much as I used to and I am seeing more people so that probably has something to do with it. Find some guys say it’s slower and some say it’s not so I don’t know. It’s not as dramatic of a difference that you are seeing. I’d say my maybe 20% decrease for the most part. Although jumping pound creek I used to catch 15 or so in a couple hours I haven’t seen much sign of life in the last couple years so that is strange.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 AM

was at Pierre Grey Lakes middle of June and it was slow. very few risers even in the evening. i think a lot of it has to do this year with the hot days we have been having. the water temps are a lot warmer and the fish are going deeper. had to go deep with the flies to get any bites.
that being said another factor is the pressure these lakes see. lots of people fishing them and keeping their limits and then some. most of the stockers don't even get a chance to grow at all.

Mike
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 PM

I have found fishing slow this year, usual go to leeches and chironomids having little effect, all fish have been caught stripping black streamers, loads of minnows about, weed growth seems excessive this year as well
Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 PM

Default skunked

Fished Beaver and Fiesta today got skunked at both. Saw one six inch trout caught. Nothing surfacing again. Was there a winter kill nobody is speaking about? This years stock should be active on top at least.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Default Gap Lake by Seebee

Anyone fish Gap lake this year?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Temps

Have any of you taken a surface temp?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 PM

Default temps

No fished the entire lake all debths and flies nothing. Pulled out all the tactics that will usually get st least 4 or 5 fish. I think they are not there, hope Im wrong.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=Exploits;3817463]No fished the entire lake all debths and flies nothing. Pulled out all the tactics that will usually get st least 4 or 5 fish. I think they are not there, hope Im wrong.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:44 PM

Default There's fish in both Fiesta and Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post
No fished the entire lake all debths and flies nothing. Pulled out all the tactics that will usually get st least 4 or 5 fish. I think they are not there, hope Im wrong.
Fished Fiesta a few weeks ago; I did poorly, my boat partner caught fish. We landed 5 for the day.

Haven't been to Beaver this year, but reliable reports are saying the fisha re there, but it's generally fishing poorly.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:34 PM

i have fished a bunch if the lakes this year. I was there in late june and early july. I did fairly well, but the water Temp at that time was 68. None of the lakes suffered winter kill that i experienced. I haven't been to the area since, but its safe to say that the water temps are too high. I have fished them in august before and have had luck with leeches anywhere from 15-25ft. Go deep and be patient. A depth finder is the best way for me to locate fish in deep water.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 AM

Default central AB lakes

Yeah I was hugging bottom in deepest holes. Anyway if you did well they are there still. Good to hear, thanks for replies all !