Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Question

Great tips and that leads to another question:

What is the stinkiest bait that has worked well for you?

I've tried a chicken liver and blood catfish bait that stunk terribly but hasn't proven successful... yet!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 AM

These burbot are related to salt water conger eels,and at night they come ashore to feed,because they have big mouths they can take big baits,id bet money that mackerel would work because they are oily,gear don't have to be fancy weighted treble hook with with a chunk of bait sit it on the bottom and move it occasionaly.Generaly very aggressive especially when feeding.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Great tips and that leads to another question:

What is the stinkiest bait that has worked well for you?

I've tried a chicken liver and blood catfish bait that stunk terribly but hasn't proven successful... yet!
Just leave your smelts out and will stink up....LOL

I also use raw liver...cheap and has always worked for me

Drape the raw liver over a treble hook....
Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 PM

MtnHunter, I get them at the Ghost pine store of Hwy 42, they were all out the other day when I stopped though
*Your mailbox was full, hope you see this.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Spend a day on buffalo lake right now by Stettler and your almost gaurenteed a burb. Closed to keep now though after feb 1
Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFisherman View Post
MtnHunter, I get them at the Ghost pine store of Hwy 42, they were all out the other day when I stopped though
*Your mailbox was full, hope you see this.
Thanks CF! Didn't realize I had to delete my send PMs in order to stay below the 100 message limit hahaha
Old 02-06-2019, 09:11 PM

I like to bang bottom lots with a thumper jig and minnow or something heavy enough to stir up sand. And fish a tipup or jaw jacker with jig and minnow close by. I have got some big ones on big tube jigs before to.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM

I picked up some pickled herring at Costco. Falls off easy so I let it sit overnight on wax paper and it solidifies a bit so it stays on the hook. A bait button also helps a lot
Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I picked up some pickled herring at Costco. Falls off easy so I let it sit overnight on wax paper and it solidifies a bit so it stays on the hook. A bait button also helps a lot
You prefer pickled over a regular herring? Do they out fish regular?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:28 PM

As kids we used to catch a lot of burbot using chub. We couldn't afford to buy herring or smelts even if they were available. A nickel bought you a chunk of red meat from the butcher. We'd use that to catch a chub or two and then cut them up in 1" or so chunks for bait (the heads worked well). A spark plug, big nut, rock etc. tied on the end of the thick green 100' test line with a couple of hooks tied above the weight. Whirl it out into the current and it would bounce down a ways till it stopped. When the line started going downstream again, it was time to pull in Mr. burbot. Having said that, we caught quite a few on red meat and frogs too. I don't think they're too picky but have never ice fished for them much.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
As kids we used to catch a lot of burbot using chub. We couldn't afford to buy herring or smelts even if they were available. A nickel bought you a chunk of red meat from the butcher. We'd use that to catch a chub or two and then cut them up in 1" or so chunks for bait (the heads worked well). A spark plug, big nut, rock etc. tied on the end of the thick green 100' test line with a couple of hooks tied above the weight. Whirl it out into the current and it would bounce down a ways till it stopped. When the line started going downstream again, it was time to pull in Mr. burbot. Having said that, we caught quite a few on red meat and frogs too. I don't think they're too picky but have never ice fished for them much.
That’s exactly how I used to catch em in the Peace. A bit of bacon to catch a Chubb and then use chunks of Chubb for bait.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
I like to bang bottom lots with a thumper jig and minnow or something heavy enough to stir up sand. And fish a tipup or jaw jacker with jig and minnow close by. I have got some big ones on big tube jigs before to.
I haven't tried a tube jig yet, so that's something I'm trying next time I go!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:58 PM

airplane jigs always worked for me , tipped with smelt or minnow . little green propeller jig was good too
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
airplane jigs always worked for me , tipped with smelt or minnow . little green propeller jig was good too

Thanks Marlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
That’s exactly how I used to catch em in the Peace. A bit of bacon to catch a Chubb and then use chunks of Chubb for bait.
I grew up in Peace River so that's where I learned. Worked well there. Chub worked for pretty much everything although grasshoppers worked better for goldeye. Spent a lot of time on that river in the 70s.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Now that takes me back ! My little brother and I would walk a couple blocks down to the Peace with a pound of bacon and our fishing gear and our friends from across the street. We'd spend hours tossing lines into the river catching chub and the odd pike or gold eye, but our First Nations friends had the magic touch for catching burbot. Big ol hook with a chunk of chub, a nut for a weight and they'd whirl it overhead and fling it out into the current and let it sit. Once it started moving again they haul er in. I never had much luck as hard as I tried to copy them.

I still remember how mad my mom would get that we would use bacon for bait.