Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Where did you find that Birch Moose Call, can't find one anywhere?? Thanks!
Try Canadian tire they usually have them however this time of year they can be hard to find.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Awwsome bull Tango!!
x2

Lots of great animals on this thread. Congrats to all. Big congrats to Coil for arrowing a wolf.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Default my Ewe

Here a picture of a Ewe I was lucky enough to harvest with my Bow Sept 28/2014. We hike to the top of a ridge early Sunday morning. Sat in the fog for hours, then when the fog finally lifted ,we spotted some ewes below us. We stalked within 40 yards. Then I crawled 10 more. I drew my bow and had her at 30 yards. I shot, and just skinned the top of her back. So after watching her run a 1000 yards and up the next draw, I started the long walk back to truck. I wasn't in the best of moods. Then all of a sudden these two more ewes come running down the mountain across of us, down across the trail and right up to us. I ran about 20 yards uphill, then she popped over a little rise. I drew , put my 30 yards pin on her. My Hoyt sent a FMJ right in the lungs. Seeing the arrow hanging out both sides as she ran away. The blood trail was short and wide, about 70 yards straight down hill.
That's what you call the highs and lows of Bowhunting. Never give up! things happen fast some times.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Try Canadian tire they usually have them however this time of year they can be hard to find.
Back in the day we used to build these birch bark moose calls, and other wood crafts out of birch...I use birch extensively in my Wilderness Survival courses...it can/provides first aid, fire, shelter, water, food, has a place in all seven steps of Wilderness survival...

Problem is birch is now few and far in between in a lot of areas, and done wrong in the hands of a novice the removal of birch bark from a large tree can KILL the tree..a precious resourse in many areas..

.However done right the outer bark can be removed for crafts and moose calls without harming the tree...the outer bark layers can be removed but leaving inner layers to protect the tree...

As mentioned above dead birch trees can be used to make simple moose calls...steam from a electric kettle can shape bark nicely from a dead tree...which you will see lots of in most birch stands unfourtunately...

If you are to attempt any of this I highly suggest reading this excellent piece on birch...

http://nrd.kbic-nsn.gov/PDF/Gatherin...dBirchBark.pdf

Neil
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Here's my first archery kill and first moose...at least he ran HALF WAY up the hill, but unfortunately left the nastiest portion for me and my AWESOME family and friends to conquer!! 46" blew through a rib and stuck just under the hide on the other side, ran 75 yds. Slick Trick mags fuelled by an Elite Pure. full story in the archery forum...

SERIOUSLY awesome critters y'all, good job!! Glad to see so many new bow hunters like me puttin em down!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1.jpg (30.8 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg #2 compressed.jpg (38.9 KB, 338 views)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Back in the day we used to build these birch bark moose calls, and other wood crafts out of birch...I use birch extensively in my Wilderness Survival courses...it can/provides first aid, fire, shelter, water, food, has a place in all seven steps of Wilderness survival...

Problem is birch is now few and far in between in a lot of areas, and done wrong in the hands of a novice the removal of birch bark from a large tree can KILL the tree..a precious resourse in many areas..

.However done right the outer bark can be removed for crafts and moose calls without harming the tree...the outer bark layers can be removed but leaving inner layers to protect the tree...

As mentioned above dead birch trees can be used to make simple moose calls...steam from a electric kettle can shape bark nicely from a dead tree...which you will see lots of in most birch stands unfourtunately...

If you are to attempt any of this I highly suggest reading this excellent piece on birch...

http://nrd.kbic-nsn.gov/PDF/Gatherin...dBirchBark.pdf

Neil
Yes Neil I have made my own too.... I was disappointed this summer when camping every birch tree in the campground sites trails ect had rings missing ..... Looked horrible and was done to trees to small to accomplish anything.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:52 PM

Finally got some tasty meat for the freezer ..didnt think it was ever going to happen landowner had his cows in since the begining of the season Rippin up my blind deer have been non exsitent ..when this young feller came thru at 15yrds I couldnt pass ..now I dont have to fight with all the idiots in the south during rifle season
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141010_193002.jpg (76.9 KB, 509 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
cabelas north had about 4 of them last night.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Finally got some tasty meat for the freezer ..didnt think it was ever going to happen landowner had his cows in since the begining of the season Rippin up my blind deer have been non exsitent ..when this young feller came thru at 15yrds I couldnt pass ..now I dont have to fight with all the idiots in the south during rifle season
Nice Deer , buddy,can't say I woulda passed him up either .Now it's straight to coyotes , right ?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Here is another moose call you might like
Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 PM

Archey grouse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 PM

For sure my first and likely the last Archery Duck.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-23-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Congrats on the duck Lefty!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
Congrats on the duck Lefty!
Thanks! I am thinking a fishing rod with a floating lure rather than wet boots is the best way to recover arrows and ducks

LC
Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Nice work, that is definatly one of the hardest to get for the small game, I managed to get a snipe, while my wife took out a Canada goose from a blind, there was many tries and missed attempts let me tell you. Your probably happy that quest is over, I sure know I was, congrats again!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanks, Snipe must have been a tough one too! I was going to try for a goose the day before I went antelope hunting....but ran out of time, my hunting partner had a few good laughs watching me stalk this duck.

LC
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Now if your gonna show off your road kill you should get off the road a bit for pictures...

lol...kidding

May be the only critter around I dont recall taking with the bow...many geese but them ducks are fast...

Good job...

Neil
Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Lol I knew that was going to be mentioned. Road side rest stop is good for pictures and cleaning ducks.

LC
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather burner View Post
Just got this one tonight. Was in the stand at 3:30 PM, ready for the long haul until 8:30, and he came out at 4:15. Bonus! no flashlight tracking, and all dressed and hung before dark. Had a 50 yard shot from a treestand, perfectly quartered away, head down in the grass. Ran about 80 yards in 3 seconds, and piled up. Just using mechanicals for the first time, and sure can't say a bad thing about the NAP killzones. Entry was massive, and although not a passthrough, it really performed.

Nice! Im in 254, hopefully i see something like this! haha
Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress13 View Post
Great kill congrats! First hard horn harvest I've seen
Nice
Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler3878 View Post
Here's my first archery kill and first moose...at least he ran HALF WAY up the hill, but unfortunately left the nastiest portion for me and my AWESOME family and friends to conquer!! 46" blew through a rib and stuck just under the hide on the other side, ran 75 yds. Slick Trick mags fuelled by an Elite Pure. full story in the archery forum...

SERIOUSLY awesome critters y'all, good job!! Glad to see so many new bow hunters like me puttin em down!!
Nice bull!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 AM

Great year for you! Congrats
Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
Here a picture of a Ewe I was lucky enough to harvest with my Bow Sept 28/2014. We hike to the top of a ridge early Sunday morning. Sat in the fog for hours, then when the fog finally lifted ,we spotted some ewes below us. We stalked within 40 yards. Then I crawled 10 more. I drew my bow and had her at 30 yards. I shot, and just skinned the top of her back. So after watching her run a 1000 yards and up the next draw, I started the long walk back to truck. I wasn't in the best of moods. Then all of a sudden these two more ewes come running down the mountain across of us, down across the trail and right up to us. I ran about 20 yards uphill, then she popped over a little rise. I drew , put my 30 yards pin on her. My Hoyt sent a FMJ right in the lungs. Seeing the arrow hanging out both sides as she ran away. The blood trail was short and wide, about 70 yards straight down hill.
That's what you call the highs and lows of Bowhunting. Never give up! things happen fast some times.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Nice
Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Here are some really great shots. very well!

Greets
Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 PM

36 yard shot with an APA M6 ,Grim Reaper broadhead .Thanx to my son KBF for giving up Saturday to help me .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4088.jpg (91.6 KB, 281 views)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
36 yard shot with an APA M6 ,Grim Reaper broadhead .Thanx to my son KBF for giving up Saturday to help me .
Awesome buddy! Congrats!

LC
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Nice buck Cam! Congrats! 4x5?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Nice buck Cam! Congrats! 4x5?
Thanx Jon, no brows here .Kinda uneven so he won't score great , but lots of character .. I'll leave those high scorers for you , yours is gonna be hard to top ..
Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Sweet buck bud ..and again where does that horseshoe hang..oh forget it we dont need to know congrats on a fine muley
Old 11-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Thanx Jon, no brows here .Kinda uneven so he won't score great , but lots of character .. I'll leave those high scorers for you , yours is gonna be hard to top ..
Lol guess your a net score guy eh? I wish i could find a nice character deer like that, but keep tripping over these tempting typical bucks