Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 PM

Default Different arrows/draw weight for target practice?

Hi all,
I've switched arrows a couple of years ago, but I still have 8 of my previous arrows. My question is do you have a different arrow for target practice before hunting or does everyone use the same arrow? The reason I ask is that my newer arrows are quite a bit more expensive than the previous ones and I don't want to break any of those ones.

Also, do you change up the draw weight as well? I'm thinking of going to a lighter draw weight for the summer, but cranking up the poundage come hunting season. I know that I will have to adjust my sight and practice with the increased draw weight and hunting arrows as hunting season approaches, but I will also be changing the tips so sight adjustment is more or less inevitable...

Just looking for opinions and rationale.

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 PM

If you just want to practice archery you can use anything, if you want to practice and hone your skills AND maintain a sighted in ready to hunt bow, you best be using what you would to hunt.

Honestly there is no sense in turning your hunting bow down to practice and turning it up come hunting season, you will find it will be a difficult thing to draw back a newly torqued up bow....weather, excitement, and odd body position has messed with plenty of guys who weren't prepared to pull the extra weight.

LC
Old 04-20-2016, 06:30 AM

X2 on what Lefty said.

Use the cheap arrows for practice and as long as the spine is close you will be fine. Don't concentrate on chasing the center dot, focus on getting tight groups.

Poundage. If you do dial it down to start, develop a practice schedule between now and hunting season. Add a quarter turn to limb bolts every 2 weeks. This will strength your muscles to shoot full poundage and should leave you some time in August to practice at the higher poundage and do a final tuning with your hunting arrows.

Have fun.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:38 AM

also do a couple of 3D tourneys in August with your complete hunting setup include clothing, this is the best tune-up for the hunting season, get used to shooting spots on animals and not dots, totally different scenario.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:19 AM

As others have stated, practicing as per hunting conditions is invaluable. Swapping out arrows or broad heads/field points between practice season and actual hunting season can really mess someone up. Especially if things don't go well and you lose confidence in your ability shoot well.

I would also strongly suggest NOT messing with your bow weight. You need to be able to shoot well, and if that means a lower poundage, than so be it. I personally hate the idea of people suggesting they need to pull huge draw weights to penetrate and kill animals. Good shots kill animals, not people bragging about how much weight they pull.

Case in point, I shoot 55 lbs as a 6'1" individual. I can pull 60 or 65 lbs, but I choose not to as I don't need to and those weights tend to make me not shoot as well as 55. Also, I can hold 55 lbs at draw for an eternity, something very useful in hunting when I'm waiting for animals to get into position or range for a shot. I don't need to worry about fatigue or spooking the animal while drawing when I can draw and hold well before they are within range or even aware of my presence.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaRaptor35 View Post
You need to be able to shoot well, and if that means a lower poundage, than so be it. I personally hate the idea of people suggesting they need to pull huge draw weights to penetrate and kill animals. Good shots kill animals, not people bragging about how much weight they pull.

Case in point, I shoot 55 lbs as a 6'1" individual. I can pull 60 or 65 lbs, but I choose not to as I don't need to and those weights tend to make me not shoot as well as 55. Also, I can hold 55 lbs at draw for an eternity, something very useful in hunting when I'm waiting for animals to get into position or range for a shot. I don't need to worry about fatigue or spooking the animal while drawing when I can draw and hold well before they are within range or even aware of my presence.
X2. Shot placement is much more important than a high draw weight. I've toned mine back by about 8 lbs a few years ago, and not only are my arrows flying better, but I'm shooting better for the same reasons mentioned above. I toned it down even a little more sighting in yesterday and I'm now getting 3.5" groups at 60 yards, which I'm thrilled about! There's still plenty of kinetic energy behind my arrows to kill anything!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM

We have a lot of Shooters turn down bow draw weight, however most of these guys like me are beat up..bad shoulders ...back ...tennis elbow..etc...but they shoot all winter in winter leagues...than slower increase around now that its spring and work their way up by June to their comfort level poundage that they hunt with...

With my APA my comfort level is 66 lbs...Mathews was 64 LB...

I personally dont mess with my bow weight as it is my comfort level weight...

Neil