Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 04:52 PM
Banned

there's argument that this guys .22-250 ai would do very well with just iron sights, likely a 0-400 yard pbr, be plenty
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
there's argument that this guys .22-250 ai would do very well with just iron sights, likely a 0-400 yard pbr, be plenty
Lol up north here I do keep an iron sighted rifle ready for winter calling. There are cold snowy /foggy days where a scopes almost a handicap. Smashing a dog at 80 yards with an iron sighter is super fun
Old 10-13-2020, 05:06 PM

The Riton scope I bought has this reticle and this is how it looks on an 8” gong at 200m, on 8 power.

Its actually an awesome reticle for quick target acquisition, and it lights up red to different strengths.

LC
Old 10-13-2020, 06:44 PM
Banned

I’d be looking at a nightforce nx8
Cover a large range of situations
Old 10-14-2020, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Lol up north here I do keep an iron sighted rifle ready for winter calling. There are cold snowy /foggy days where a scopes almost a handicap. Smashing a dog at 80 yards with an iron sighter is super fun
it would be, i got a double with a semi-auto .17 hmr and a red dot and most of the 10 shots went down range on the second one trying to catch up to it

i have probably 20 with .17 hmr but most with a cz bolt gun and on 4x magnification, have a couple doubles with it also

i have given a fair bit of thought to the ruger pc carbine 9mm as a calling rig for something shotgun quick but double the range, replace front sight with the fiber optic one, or look at holosun 507c green dot if funds allowed, use some of the faster 115 gr stuff can get to 100 yrd coyote worthy pbr with an 85 yard zero, would make a great plinker as well, something tells me i'd really like how a 9mm would hit them flea bitten mongrels as opposed to a shotty or a .17 hmr, it would be like a blend of the two

something i've always found important in a calling rig is the ability to one hand the rifle somewhat, so lightweight sporters, and no higher than 4x on the low end for scope for when calling more in the coulees and bush
Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
You should look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56mm, the locking turrets come in handy when in the bush.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14194...56-riflescopes

BTW, I have a Vortex HS-T (6-24x50mm) on my 223 coyote rig...
Works just fine, had the scope 5 years and still dials & returns to zero perfectly.

That may work well on a target rifle, but I certainly wouldn't be carrying something so big and bulky around hunting coyotes.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Dont think it matters

Pick something you can afford and looks good to you in a variety of lighting situations that simulate your anticipated hunting situations.
I have run most every Leupold on a copyote rig from time to time over the past 20 years and they all worked but I was often restricted by budget to VX 1 or Vx2 4-12.
I currently run a 6.5-20 Varmint Hunter on my 22-250 but use a 4.5 -14 LR on both my .223 and my .243.
My old BRNO ZKK custom in 22 varmint came with a period correct old K8 scope that was like looking into a keyhole towards a bright light in some conditions and the focal length was terrible it killed lots of coyotes before I could afford and switched it to a VX3 Leupold

Brightest varmint scope I have ever looked through was a Kahles but it came on a LH 22-250 rifle I bought for my brother and he claimed he couldn't afford a $1000 scope. I considered taking one of my Leupolds off and substituting the Kahles but felt if it isn't broken don't try to fix it.
They all pretty much work

Last edited by wwbirds; 10-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:51 PM

I’m a big time Leupold fan but the next scope I buy for my coyote rifle will be a nightforce shv f1. Just to change it up and try out a nightforce.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:37 AM

I ended up ordering a nightforce shv 5-20X56, I should have been more specific and explained the areas I intend on hunting which is all open farmland and coulees. Hence why I wanted something with a little more legs where Out shot distances can really vary. It's going on a 22-250ai built on a Defiance rebel action with a Krieger super match barrel.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
lol, slight backfire there, was that post sponsorship, what did he use to win all those competitions
See where your trolling got you...

My reference to the list of scopes was to show that Vortex is not all "junk" like some here would have everyone believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That may work well on a target rifle, but I certainly wouldn't be carrying something so big and bulky around hunting coyotes.
It's not a sport for feeble old men, I agree... My rifle weighs 10.5 lbs as pictured, full magazine & pouch. Bipod weighs 2.5 lbs.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 10-15-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Banned

you have a great handle

if all les carried was a 22-250 i'd wager he'd have a wider range of scope magnification that started lower than 4x, but since he always drags the shotty, his close range stuff is covered, have at'er with the two gun option, still lots to carry, but with handcalls it frees one up for two guns, i take a full size coyote decoy and the foxpro these days, a second gun would be a pain

for us one gun guys who will hunt in the bush or the open, you'll be better off getting down into the 2-4x on the bottom end and 9-12x will get you far enough for the hangers, your ability to hit them that far will be far more about reading wind than an extra few points of magnification

for a black dually pool noodle set up, 10 lb rigs no problem, i built 9-10 lb tikka varmints with 6.5-20x and they are just a waste of weight and poor handling as a calling rifle, fine for laying prone on the bald stuff but that's about it
Old 10-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
See where your trolling got you...

My reference to the list of scopes was to show that Vortex is not all "junk" like some here would have everyone believe.

It's not a sport for feeble old men, I agree... My rifle weighs 10.5 lbs as pictured, full magazine & pouch. Bipod weighs 2.5 lbs.

Some of us just prefer not to carry a huge scope, when a much smaller scope works just as well.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:08 PM

If you are planning on hiking around with your rifle you probably won't want a scope with a 30 mm tube or 50 mm objective. I prefer a lower power setting and have settled on a 3-12x40 for my rig. I shoot between 30 - 40 coyotes a year and the majority of those are taken under 100 yds.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am more concerned with the minimum magnification, I want no more than about 3x on the lower end, when a coyote comes running in, but won't stop, so I have to shot it on the run at close range. 12-15x is plenty of magnification , even for long range shots.
Totally agree with elkhunter11.

I once ran a straight six on my 6mm and then my 25-06. Sometimes coyotes just have a knack of using terrain and vegetation to get in on top of you at 25yds without the ability to get a shot. When the coyote eventually spooks, that 6x is not much good at finding and then hitting that moving coyote. All you see is fur. I had a couple that came in, no shot, finally gave me a running full view at 25 and then left, again using terrain and vegetation to get away with no shot opportunity.

I switched to a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. Now have 3.5-10x40 Leupold.

I would have no more than 4x at the low end of any scope intended to hunt coyotes, specifically calling.