Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Default Really Worth It ?

What's the rush to catch one through the ice when it could be your last one? I just don't understand the risk reward of fishing on thin ice a bunch of you on here have. Don't you have families? Try to be on the high side of safe out there.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM

X2
Old 11-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Think you pretty much answered your own question there...be safe out there. Most guys out there right now are fishing familular water, testing ice thickness and quality as they go and are drawing on alot of experience....people participate in a bunch of activities which to some are " Life Risking" but with experience and the proper safety precautions it is less risky then driving to the store. Everyone has their threshold.....and for the individuals who act without thinking or preperation...Darwin has a theory for that.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 AM

There are safe techniques tO fishing thin ice..
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM

No worries. Ice is thick. You can drive your truck on it right now.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
Oh wait a minute...

A few ounces of common sense as well as the appropriate safety gear (ice spikes, cold weather gear that floats, extra clothes back at the car/truck along with spare keys just in case, buddy system, etc) can keep you safe & alive to fish for years to come. People who are not confident enough with experience & safety on the ice shouldn't bother anyway but that goes hand in hand with common sense!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
X2. It's cold out today. No need to even think about it;everyone knows that minus 20 is cold enough to drive a truck on ice.

Just kidding! Stay safe out there guys and it's a good idea to have a set of ice picks on you,especially early season.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Flotation suits are good to rock at this time of year and all year as a matter of fact there very warm a little expensive but you never know when your gonna go thru the ice!! a couple years ago my grandpas friend went thru the 3 FOI when he was walking back to shore when he walked over a pressure ridge and he'd been walkin that path all day!!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-slaughter View Post
Flotation suits are good to rock at this time of year and all year as a matter of fact there very warm a little expensive but you never know when your gonna go thru the ice!! a couple years ago my grandpas friend went thru the 3 FOI when he was walking back to shore when he walked over a pressure ridge and he'd been walkin that path all day!!
Just curious what lake that happened at.

I'm sure I have come across those at sylvan before.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM

I only fish thin ice on familiar waters, and I don't just trudge out there... If im going to fish on thin ice I make damn sure Im not going to fall in. There is a method to the madness.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

I don't go out onto the ice until it's thick enough for someone to go out and put the "Danger Thin Ice" sign up.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't go out onto the ice until it's thick enough for someone to go out and put the "Danger Thin Ice" sign up.
Sounds like that would work to me.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Most of the people that are out fishing the thin ice are doing so on pretty shallow parts of the body of water.

If you do happen to fall through it will most likely be around waste deep.

At least those are the areas are fish during these times.

I also wear a floater suit, ice picks hanging around my neck and test the ice before every step.

Like mentioned before. There is a method to the madness.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Take along a 2 x 4 8 footer. If you did go through it will bridge the hole and help you get out. If you need to distribute your weight, it will work very well on thin ice. Bottom line, don't be arrogant. Expect the worst, take a buddy, take some rope and ice picks, spread out. Everyone knows that first ice is some great fishing. That is why we do it, smart or not.

Drewski
Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 PM

there are extremely safe ways to fish thin ice. pack light. fish familiar waters. Lots of testing when you first head out. be observant of the ice around you. fish in shallow water. Safety stuff like ice picks, blankes and spare clothes in vehicle. rope. fish with a buddy. dont walk on ice too close to buddy. lay out flat on the ice to distribute weight. etc. I could go on.

PS. I was out on 6 inches of ice today. WHOOO HOOOO. some nice fish too
Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 PM

With no disrespect.... with common sense and the right equipment, I have had many years of safe,dry days on ice. I would rather be out on 2 inches of ice then driving the deerfoot most days!!!
It is the same as taking a boat out on a lake and standing on the bow to cast out or climbing down a rock face to get to that secret hole...alittle common sense goes along ways to catch alot of whites
Old 11-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Go ahead and do what you want guys but when you keep taking risk on thin ice I don't care how much safety gear and experience you have Mother nature is against you. I don't call it fun trying to pull myself out of a jamb when it's below freezing. It's just crazy to think that it's worth the risk! Some of you replied talking about 6" of ice, get real, I've been reading for a couple of weeks about some of you going out and there wasn't 6" then. Many places not even now. I would not like to read about an unfortunate situation that messes up the lives of family or dear friends because someone decided to risk it all trying to beat mother nature or a fellow fisherman to an early catch through unsafe conditions..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM

Is it worth it? Absolutely!

That being said, I can only think of 2 or 3 bodies of water I'd consider fishing on thin ice, and they're all shallow and familiar to me. Like many things in life, there is a small element of risk, but as long as a person is cautious and uses common sense most of the risk can be mitigated.

Myself? I'll make the most out of my early ice time, thank you. And I'll stay dry while i'm at it

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Geezle, I was looking at the first picture for a few moments and the water and ice are so clear. For a few moments, I thought it was flowing water behind you with air bubbles on the surface floating by!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Geezle, I was looking at the first picture for a few moments and the water and ice are so clear. For a few moments, I thought it was flowing water behind you with air bubbles on the surface floating by!
Yep, the ice was great then. Now, since we got the snow though, it's starting to flood around the edges of the pond where it's thinner. Nevertheless, there's still around 4" of good ice out there...it's just a little soggy in spots on top now

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 AM

2-2.5 inch today would be my guess.. Headin out, should be able to smash some fish
Old 11-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Go ahead and do what you want guys but when you keep taking risk on thin ice I don't care how much safety gear and experience you have Mother nature is against you. I don't call it fun trying to pull myself out of a jamb when it's below freezing. It's just crazy to think that it's worth the risk! Some of you replied talking about 6" of ice, get real, I've been reading for a couple of weeks about some of you going out and there wasn't 6" then. Many places not even now. I would not like to read about an unfortunate situation that messes up the lives of family or dear friends because someone decided to risk it all trying to beat mother nature or a fellow fisherman to an early catch through unsafe conditions..

i understand your concern but just for arguement sake... im willing to bet that you and your family regularly pile into a vehicle and take your chances on alberta roads more then once in the 6+ months of winter we have... i know i do and i find that to be a lot more risky then a day out on the lake after all the steps to keep myself as safe as possible have been taken. there is just way to many BAD drivers out there, after seein all the people that cant seem to keep their viehicle between the lines on a perfectly straight/flat stretch of highway along with the constant flow of "Foreign Temporary Workers" that seem to make their way to our province via countries that never see snow and get a drivers license with their citizenship papers makes me a lot more nervous then droppin into 3ft. of chilly water.

just my view on it, not tryin to ruffle any feathers
Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

lce was 3 ft thick here that day all over the lake except here , caught the fish cop good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crawlingvalley4.jpg (48.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
lce was 3 ft thick here that day all over the lake except here , caught the fish cop good
That is why I walk on the ice when I go out fishing. You never know where a weak spot will be and I would rather have my truck on shore and walk then have it at the bottom of the lake polluting water that I like to fish.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM

I've been on the ice for nearly a couple of weeks now. I've been going early for years. It's not about being the first person on the ice because I couldn't really give a rat's butt when anyone else goes. For me, I just enjoy those first few fish through the hole. I've fallen in before, but my life has never been in jeopardy. I've also fallen through in January and in March, so the time of year is not completely relevant.
If the ice is good, then I don't worry much.
If the ice bad or weak, then I tie myself to a tree and/or stay shallow. My gear is kept away from me and I test the ice as much as required. I have a change of clothes in the truck.

There is a lot of technique to early ice fishing and I really enjoy practicing it.

Is it worth it?? Hell ya.

Besides. The risk is similar to heading out ice fishing when it's -35 or beyond. Your ride could break down or you could get snow stuck somewhere.

We all chose to accept the risks we feel we can manage.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM

I only walk out when the ice is at least 5'' or thicker for known waterbodys and ice that is at least 6'' or thicker on unfamilier water bodies and wear a floater suite. You never know where some of those strong underwater springs are. I would stay close enough to the vehicle too so that if I fell through, I could make it back without freezing too much. Even in Mid winter when the ice has been 2ft thick all around, I have spotted open water from springs and where a truck at pigeon almost went through the ice in 20FOW in mid winter as well.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM

It's amazing that most sites in Russia would warn you that ice has to be 2.75 inches thick to be safe, and yet people would tell me that if I am on less than 4 inches of ice I am crazy. Smarter than the whole nation, right? There are a lot of things one can do to mitigate the risk, most mentioned already
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Just curious what lake that happened at.

I'm sure I have come across those at sylvan before.
that was on keho down by lethbridge i havent seen too many ice heaves on smaller lakes mostly larger lakes. but im sure it happenes can never predict nature
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Why so mad about it?? its not you goin out, it someone else and if they feel like doing so more power to them. They like it so their gonna do it. Whats life anyways without alittle adventure.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 AM

In a nutshell it's this. What a great person, feel bad for their family, wrong place at the wrong time.......... What a crock, when it could have been prevented. Also go's for sledding, skiing when risks are high. Who pays the price at home? Who pays for recovery?