Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Default Travers reservoir

Has anyone been out to travers reservoir lately? I want to head out there tomorrow after having been skunked at a very muddy chain lakes on Sunday. I have never fished there before, do I access the boat launch via little bow campground? What lures should I use?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Was there Yesterday and the water is like chocolate milk. yes you can access the boat launch from little bow provincial park. for the lure, I was using jigs and minnows but I didnt catch any fish not even a single bite but saw a lot of people catching fish. I must be doing something wrong as i was my first time fishing at Travers.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Well...I was there yesterday and while I was not one of the guys in the tournament, I was there fishing off the docks with Dad and my kids and we caught plenty of walleyes under the legal size. It was great for the kids as they loved it.

I kept it simple by using frozen minnows on green jigheads with stinger hooks attached. I also set the kids up with pikerel rigs as that is as easy as it gets.

Both set-ups worked well and they were biting pretty well over the lunch hour.

Give it a try and hope you have some success!!!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 05-30-2011, 04:16 PM

The southErn Alberta walleye trail was there yesterday and I fishd it too. In the creek the water is all muddy. In the main lake the fishing wasnt too bad.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. This will be my first time at travers. Does the cloudy water effect the fishing that much? I went to chain lakes on Sunday because i have heard that its pretty much a sure thing that you'll catch at least one fish, but the water was really dirty and I didn't even get a bite. Would the dirty water be why?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 PM

anyone been out to McGregor? conditions? bait ban?
sorry to hijack thread
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Just got back from travers and the water is much clearer than described in earlier threads. I didn't catch anything but that's because I didn't know what to bring. I did see a couple of people by the dam fishing from shore and they were doing alright. Going to head back out on Friday.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM

I know you said dam, but I want to clarify, the dam at the SE corner or the spillway?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
I know you said dam, but I want to clarify, the dam at the SE corner or the spillway?
My bad, it was the spillway. It was my first time there. Which is better fishing, the dam or the spillway? It took my 9.6hp motor almost 20 minutes to push my 14 aluminum boat from little bow to the spillway!! Lol. It's a big lake!!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmtobias View Post
My bad, it was the spillway. It was my first time there. Which is better fishing, the dam or the spillway? It took my 9.6hp motor almost 20 minutes to push my 14 aluminum boat from little bow to the spillway!! Lol. It's a big lake!!
There are so many factors to consider, including time of year. I'm a rookie at that lake and I only fished the dam once with little success. I also find the spillway hit or miss. If the eyes are there, you will have a great day. I've had 30-40 fish there some days and none the very next day with consistent weather and barometric pressure using the same tackle.

I would give the spillway another shot. Try leeches, minnows, worms on a jig head - for me, my best luck is on shiners on 1/4oz jig heads in a variety of colors. Admittedly this is basic walleye stuff, but it should work at the spillway.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the bait suggestions. I will definitely have a different Plan of attack on Friday. Can I use a minnow on a jig head and troll?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 PM

Ya you can slowly drag any of the baits mentioned on a jig head. You will have to make sure you have a heavy enough jig to feel bottom at whatever speed and depth of water you are fishing but not to heavy that the fish have trouble picking it up.

You could also try dragging spinner rigs or lindy rigs around the spillway and see what happens if the jigging isn't working.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 AM

You can also try slip-bobbering any of the bait I mentioned.

I haven't trolled a jig head, but I do have luck on spinner rigs with bottom bouncers.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM

I am going to try my luck again using all those informations. I love this forum.

Thank you all for sharing your knownledge.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. This will be my first time at travers. Does the cloudy water effect the fishing that much? I went to chain lakes on Sunday because i have heard that its pretty much a sure thing that you'll catch at least one fish, but the water was really dirty and I didn't even get a bite. Would the dirty water be why?
i cannot say this enough. when fishing for trout right after a big rain and the water is dirty, look close to shore. like 1-4 feet of water. The rain runoff washes tons of bugs and worms into the water. The trout move shallow and gorge of the grub. cast small lures on shore and pull them slowly back to you. First thing I'd try is a worm on a light jighead. or if your more into lures, really small spoons / spinners. something offering some flash.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 AM

If you guys end up using leeches on a jig head, make sure to put something on the hook to hold the leech on. With the hooks being barbless, it's pretty easy for the leech to wriggle off the hook. I prefer these:

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...PRODUCTSEARCH=

They're a firm rubber bead, and the smallest one fits tightly around the hook. Put your leech on the jig, and then slide this on and run it down close to the leech. It's usually enough of an obstable to prevent the leech from backing off the hook.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM

Another thing to use for holding leeches on is a chunk of gulp alive or powerbait minnows/worms/or leeches. Just tear a small chunk off and slide it onto the hook after putting the leech on. Any plastic style bait will work.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM

small jigheads....big baits
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Lots of good bait and lure suggestions!! Can't wait to get back out!!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

leaches where working for me, look for fish in the dirty water.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Well, I just got back from getting some new tackle for my trip back to travers in the next couple of days. I got sone minnows, jig heads, some rapala xrap lures, and some bobbers and pickerel rigs. I hope this will be enough to catch something!! I have gone fishing twice this year and yetto catch anything!!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I just got back from getting some new tackle for my trip back to travers in the next couple of days. I got sone minnows, jig heads, some rapala xrap lures, and some bobbers and pickerel rigs. I hope this will be enough to catch something!! I have gone fishing twice this year and yetto catch anything!!
what a stupid rule. i can only send 10 pms every 30 minutes and i keep forgetting that i dont have any left........ otherwise i would have pmed you. We need to get out fishing travers together. im not a travers pro but i can definitely find you some fish...... shoot me a pm and maybe we can see if we can get on the water together
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Is there any access to the lake other than LBPP and the day use at the east end?

I only need to get close with my inflatable, don't need a launch, but don't want to irritate a land owner either.

Heading down tomorrow morning for the day.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Is there any access to the lake other than LBPP and the day use at the east end?

I only need to get close with my inflatable, don't need a launch, but don't want to irritate a land owner either.

Heading down tomorrow morning for the day.
bay of pigs(spillway)
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 PM

How was the tourney boys?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Just got back from travers about an hour ago and thanks to all the suggestions it was a success!! I used minnows on jig heads and trolled around the spillway. I caught 2 walleye's about 30cm long so those got released and then my wife caught a pike that was 51 cm long so that had to be released as well. Fished from 8:30 - 11am so it was a good day!! The lake did start getting busy.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Just got back as well, caught around 30 walleye, 1 keeper size and the rest smaller and 1 small pike. Overall it was a great afternoon/evening.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
Just got back as well, caught around 30 walleye, 1 keeper size and the rest smaller and 1 small pike. Overall it was a great afternoon/evening.
good work Mike...now if you could just remember that tandem knot...your perfect..lol
Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Haha ya that would be nice, and we actually found the 'eyes when we were just taking a cruise on the lake, didnt actually try a couple spots I was tipped off about.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo2 View Post
Haha ya that would be nice, and we actually found the 'eyes when we were just taking a cruise on the lake, didnt actually try a couple spots I was tipped off about.
that makes it even better

p.s......best advice i can give you......turn off pm's...lol