Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Default how to catch suckers

ive bin catching them on pickeral rig and i see them jumping what can i use to cast that they will bit
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Probably not suckers you see jumping those would be Whitefish. Suckers are a bottom feeder, you my be able to hook into the odd whitefish with flies or small spinners on the surface where they are rising.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 PM

you sure they're suckers? if you're close enough to identify them you should be able to see what they're eating off the surface. throw something to imitate what they're feeding on? that's fishing,no?

Dace
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM

well ya there eating flies and i was wondering if they bite anything else though. and they are suckers the have an orange tail and rear fins
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Invent a new type of graphite composite, give it a flashy name, and charge outrageous money. Ahh crap, wrong suckers.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coorslight View Post
well ya there eating flies and i was wondering if they bite anything else though. and they are suckers the have an orange tail and rear fins
Keep us updated.

Are there pike where you are fishing?

and it's great to see people targetting "the uglier species",,, one of my most memorable fights was with a HUGE Sucker in the Sheep River. This year, I'm going to target them for pickling, I heard they're a close second to herring.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM

I have never fished purposely for them, but have gotten them while still fishing worms on the bottom. I would suggest a light weight followed by a snelled hook about 1 - 1.5 ft after the weight. The weight can hold your line in the general area, while the bait (small piece of worm) can move around on the bottom with the slightest water movement. Try to keep the line between your rod and the weight tight so you can see any bites.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 PM

ive caught some big ones down south in the rivers here in the spring and fall, they put up a hell of a fight when u get a good one, they are my alternate while waiting for the sturgeon to bite not that i can controll what bites on my line, but none the less still fun to catch. ive heard them called river carp. i dont usally catch the small silver ones im sure ppl will know what i mean.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I have never fished purposely for them, but have gotten them while still fishing worms on the bottom. I would suggest a light weight followed by a snelled hook about 1 - 1.5 ft after the weight. The weight can hold your line in the general area, while the bait (small piece of worm) can move around on the bottom with the slightest water movement. Try to keep the line between your rod and the weight tight so you can see any bites.
I forgot to put in size 8 - 12 hooks.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 PM

the silver redhorse i catch sometimes can put up a real good fight
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 PM

I've seen suckers messing about on the surface many times on the bow. I don't think they are feeding thou. It drives you nuts you think you found a honey hole of trout rising but it is suckers splashing around.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
Probably not suckers you see jumping those would be Whitefish. Suckers are a bottom feeder, you my be able to hook into the odd whitefish with flies or small spinners on the surface where they are rising.
ummm they are suckers that are jumping in the NSR, some big 5-10 pounders jumping, so cool watching them jump
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
Actually ive seen suckers rise alot aswell as sturgeon . Both are bottom feeders . They will still pick stuff off the bottom .
Old 06-04-2011, 01:10 AM

worms (night crawler)sucks are fun
Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 AM

go to a small creek fin a scker and find out what hewants or been eating and yeah iv seen the suckers rise in a caddis hatch. you may be seeing his tail though when his mouth is in the dirt
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 AM

The suckers are spawning right now (at least in the Oldman they are) I see them all the time as they do their spawning in shallows, always seeing tails and little splashes from them. And yes, there are some really big suckers in the Oldman right now....

M
Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 PM

With my own eyes, I kid you not, I saw a big fat sucker caught on the surface with a rattlin rap!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Keep us updated.

Are there pike where you are fishing?

and it's great to see people targetting "the uglier species",,, one of my most memorable fights was with a HUGE Sucker in the Sheep River. This year, I'm going to target them for pickling, I heard they're a close second to herring.

Great way to get em is to hand-tie your own pickerel rig and keep the hooks close to the bottom [as close as you dare] and tip each hook with half a dew worm....

PS. Use longer shanked hooks, and squeegee the worm on like a swirl tail grub, instead of in a big ball. So it wiggles like spahgetti string in the current, and the suckers can literally suck the worm up in one gulp for a sure set every time ! This works because usually when you are getting hits from a sucker they are just sucking on your worm ball unable to swallow the hook, leading to hours of phantom bites.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM

If your fly fishing and want to catch some, put on a red san juan worm. You can't keep the bloody things off..they do put up a hell of a fight though.. but I shudder when I have to take them off.

But yeah, they will rise...