Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-24-2002, 10:06 AM
supertwist

Default Rabbit pelts?

We are raising meat rabbits, and chose a breed with good fur. What needs to be done to the pelt before it is sold to a fur buyer? Are there fur buyers in Calgary? Is it possible or practical to prepare the furs for my own use or is tanning too difficult?
Old 08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
winged1

Default pelt

Not sure that you'll find anyone interested in rabbit pelt. Being very delicate in nature it is not durable enough for most products. The synthetics have all but replaced it's use in the garment industry.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:51 AM
supertwist

Default Re: pelt

Thanks. I suppose we'll experiment with tanning methods and use the furs ourselves. Might be fun.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:16 PM
rabbit pelts

Default rabbit pelts

Hey there,
I saw your post saying that you have some rabbit pelts that you were possibly looking for a buyer for. If the pelts are well skinned and there are enough of them? I would be interested in buying them as long as they are not tanned! I'm doing a replica rabbit skin blanket of the Piute style and can't seem to hunt enough to start on it any time soon! My e-mail is wintermoon81147@yahoo.com
Old 01-28-2004, 08:27 AM
rabbit pelts

Default rabbit pelts

you can send them to some places to have them made into a hat if you have enough of them the hats are really warm
Old 02-04-2004, 05:02 PM
rabbits

Default rabbits

The silverfish moths love thems and will eat thems up. If you tan them keep and eye on them for at least a few weeks to prevent the fur being eaten away.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Fly fishing with rabbit fur

As a fly fisherman I use rabbit fur for making flies. You may want to look into marketing your pelts to fly tyers.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
jrs

"The silverfish moths love thems and will eat thems up. If you tan them keep and eye on them for at least a few weeks to prevent the fur being eaten away."

X2, i made the mistake of not keeping an eye on one before, looked pretty bad.
I'd also second the fly tying market, the face usually sells for $4-5 if the colors are right, great material for many flys.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 PM

What type of rabbits we raised new zealand whites back home(NL) and the hides are not near as delicate as wild rabbits, the meat was just like chicken, and had them get up to 17 lb around about maybe a litttle less but they were large, i think the skins would be good for something hats for sure mitts maybe but they are much more robust then wild rabbit sorry for going on just brought back some good memories, also had mohair one i think they were called could be wrong
and flies for fishin for sure