Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 PM

You're just chubbing with me Tosh. New word... call Webster's

chubbing: the act of poking lighhearted fun at someone, making whymsical remarks or dry sarcastic pokes (chubbs) in order to create humour in a chubbdarter-like fashion while staying up late in front of a computer, eating KFC and listening to Sonny and Cher and dreaming of Hooters girls
see... chubbalicious
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
thats crazy how big are they?
i dont know i got skunked today. i can hear the buggers in there. if we get good cat it can it go in your book?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
the ditch rite behind my house. best part is it isnt in the regs so NO RULES!!
tommrow till wensday is the reddeer river headwaters for bullies
Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
i'm in. i know the BEST technique Tosh. french dude tough me. pierre something or other. works for all kinds of frogs too. funny thing i gotta em just out back in my yard too. found night fishin with the spot light to be best.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
before, after or during school hours
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Watch out for CROCS
Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
You're just chubbing with me Tosh. New word... call Webster's

chubbing: the act of poking lighhearted fun at someone, making whymsical remarks or dry sarcastic pokes (chubbs) in order to create humour in a chubbdarter-like fashion while staying up late in front of a computer, eating KFC and listening to Sonny and Cher and dreaming of Hooters girls
see... chubbalicious
i just spit pop all over the wives new computer...that hilarious!!!

last pic of chubb taken......maybe 35 years ago.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i'm in. i know the BEST technique Tosh. french dude tough me. pierre something or other. works for all kinds of frogs too. funny thing i gotta em just out back in my yard too. found night fishin with the spot light to be best.
i am in!!! i will right my own book if fh7 wont help me.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
before, after or during school hours
school feild trip only 25 kids going...but half the class is realy c**ky so i cant wait to show em up haha or try anyway.
3 days
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
yeah ok ill be in i guess the time mercer caught it was mid summer when the frogs peak. so im not sure about right now they look tiny
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
yeah ok ill be in i guess the time mercer caught it was mid summer when the frogs peak. so im not sure about right now they look tiny

do you think it would help if i had a subway boat?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
do you think it would help if i had a subway boat?
absolutly who wouldnt want a subway boat.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
i just spit pop all over the wives new computer...that hilarious!!!

last pic of chubb taken......maybe 35 years ago.
You've got to be chubbing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What lake is that? Must have been a looooong time ago before we started getting heavy snowfalls. Maybe the previous global warming before the dinosaurs. He looks warm. Guess they didn't have augers then... just shoot a hole in the ice.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
i'm going out in a couple hours. just gonna finish off this case of pop. you're more than welcome. just bring your Kevin VanDam special, you'll need the backbone. lots of high grass right now. i have everything else we'll need. wait, maybe p/u another case of pop. just heard one.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
i'm going out in a couple hours. just gonna finish off this case of pop. you're more than welcome. just bring your Kevin VanDam special, you'll need the backbone. lots of high grass right now. i have everything else we'll need. wait, maybe p/u another case of pop. just heard one.
lets not get to hasty here. fh7 and i have decided that shore fishing is not practical and we need a subway boat. order will be placed tommorow. does your site have a boat launch?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
You've got to be chubbing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What lake is that? Must have been a looooong time ago before we started getting heavy snowfalls. Maybe the previous global warming before the dinosaurs. He looks warm. Guess they didn't have augers then... just shoot a hole in the ice.
it was back before noodling was just sticking your hand in the water.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
travers for sure TR, look at the shoreline. chubb don't waste time anywhere else. looks to be a nice spring day. tosh is gonna be in some heat for posting this photo. i'm sure i know that chunk of shoreline. gotta be a spring honey hole.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
travers for sure TR, look at the shoreline. chubb don't waste time anywhere else. looks to be a nice spring day. tosh is gonna be in some heat for posting this photo. i'm sure i know that chunk of shoreline. gotta be a spring honey hole.
I think he'll be OK. Pretty sure that shoreline eroded during the ice age between now and then.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
lets not get to hasty here. fh7 and i have decided that shore fishing is not practical and we need a subway boat. order will be placed tommorow. does your site have a boat launch?
whatever you asked for some advise. there's no possible way of getting a tub in at my location. maybe one of those fan jobs or them beaver tail flat bottom buggys. completely unnecessary though, not needed with this french technique. real finesse is required. how long do road flares usually burn for anyways? you could land an airplane in my back forty right now. oh, they've started up again, i can hear em. another hour or so.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 PM

WARMING WATER?! pfff i can name 5 lakes off the top of my heaed that got winterkilled this year!!! global warming up my ass
Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 AM

My friend sent me some Ontario regs and asked me if I noticed anything weird about them. I noticed within one minute that so many lakes have Lake Trout closures, Something is up. At least they noticed in Ontario. Alberta government seems to think it is amunied to any affects of global warming or adverse affect of pollution.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
hmm i think i did a thread on this from another magazine but it said something from the pipelining and oilfeild clearcutting trees exposing shade and warming water(teacher) were trout once hid.
from the crossings of river running over spawning beds for bull trout.about every 4 years bulls spawn
over fishing but recovering
ect.
they have been clear cutting for over a century, why all of the sudden? All clear cut areas are replanted once the harvest is complete. Plus, with the controlling of forrest fires, forests are getting older, not younger, thus the onslaught of pine beetle.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike'n'walleye View Post
WARMING WATER?! pfff i can name 5 lakes off the top of my heaed that got winterkilled this year!!! global warming up my ass
yeah pretty ironic and we had snow yesterday morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
My friend sent me some Ontario regs and asked me if I noticed anything weird about them. I noticed within one minute that so many lakes have Lake Trout closures, Something is up. At least they noticed in Ontario. Alberta government seems to think it is amunied to any affects of global warming or adverse affect of pollution.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Default Are we warming???

Some people would have us think we are warming. This is a chart showing temps for the last 17,000 years.

PREDICTIONS BASED ON PAST CLIMATE PATTERNS

Global climate changes have been far more intense (12 to 20 times as intense in some cases) than the global warming of the past century, and they took place in as little as 20–100 years. Global warming of the past century (0.8° C) is virtually insignificant when compared to the magnitude of at least 10 global climate changes in the past 15,000 years. None of these sudden global climate changes could possibly have been caused by human CO2 input to the atmosphere because they all took place long before anthropogenic CO2 emissions began. The cause of the ten earlier ‘natural’ climate changes was most likely the same as the cause of global warming from 1977 to 1998.

Figure 2. Climate changes in the past 17,000 years from the GISP2 Greenland ice core. Red = warming, blue = cooling. (Modified from Cuffy and Clow, 1997)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Not so fast. Frogs are regulated under the Wildlife Act. Along with Crocs and Hippos.

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...-143-1997.html

Catching the wrong species could get your Minivan impounded and land you in jail.... after the appropriate beating...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
i read that in the western sportsman that by end of the century that all the lake trout in the world will be extint from the warming water, pollution, ect.
what do you guys think.
I agree. I heard global warming...causes global cooling which starts the next ice age. Winterkill will occur over the whole globe.

We are doomed.

Curious though...the earth has been warming since the last ice age...yet lake trout have not gone extinct yet.

Me thinks the writer is just desperate to sound knowledgeable on a very controversial subject. There is a link to every conceivable world issue from slugs to earthquakes...all caused by global warming based upon some hypothesis or another.

Anyways...if the earth is warming so horribly so...why is it so FREAKING COLD in Calgary the past year?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
hmm i think i did a thread on this from another magazine but it said something from the pipelining and oilfeild clearcutting trees exposing shade and warming water(teacher) were trout once hid.
from the crossings of river running over spawning beds for bull trout.about every 4 years bulls spawn
over fishing but recovering
ect.
Pipelines and oilfield clearcutting does not have the impact you are alluding to. Forestry on the other hand...they do the clear cutting.

It is true however that exposure to direct sunlight does harm trout species. I worked on the Dogpound Creek project. They fenced off the creek from cattle and other disturbances. In turn mother natures grew the willows etc along the creek and in effect shaded it.

The shade in turn decreased the temperature of the creek. Trout can't stand higher water temperatures. I suspect many creeks in the foothills and close prairies contained trout at one time...cutthroats anyways. They are so small that the impact of clearcutting and cattle grazing ruined them. Good thing is that with fencing...you can bring it back.

Blaming everything on the oil industry is as common as blaming everything on global warming IMHO.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 AM

That almost sounds like a family radio prediction....I have a really hard time believing that prediction. Climate change seems to be a near impossible thing to accurately predict to the point of knowing what it will be like that many years ahead. At least it looks like I will still be catching them until I die...although I still have never caught one!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
some people would have us think we are warming. This is a chart showing temps for the last 17,000 years.

Predictions based on past climate patterns

global climate changes have been far more intense (12 to 20 times as intense in some cases) than the global warming of the past century, and they took place in as little as 20–100 years. Global warming of the past century (0.8° c) is virtually insignificant when compared to the magnitude of at least 10 global climate changes in the past 15,000 years. None of these sudden global climate changes could possibly have been caused by human co2 input to the atmosphere because they all took place long before anthropogenic co2 emissions began. The cause of the ten earlier ‘natural’ climate changes was most likely the same as the cause of global warming from 1977 to 1998.

figure 2. Climate changes in the past 17,000 years from the gisp2 greenland ice core. Red = warming, blue = cooling. (modified from cuffy and clow, 1997)
stop spewing facts...you are destroying any possible debate!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I suspect many creeks in the foothills and close prairies contained trout at one time...cutthroats anyways. They are so small that the impact of clearcutting and cattle grazing ruined them.
I agree with you 100%. There is a creek in cypress on the Saskatchewan side that has mountain suckers in it. I don't know where the next closest location to the Rockies that has this fish species but I find it odd that they would be this far east if their original distribution was not much greater at one time.