Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Pipelines and oilfield clearcutting does not have the impact you are alluding to. Forestry on the other hand...they do the clear cutting.

It is true however that exposure to direct sunlight does harm trout species. I worked on the Dogpound Creek project. They fenced off the creek from cattle and other disturbances. In turn mother natures grew the willows etc along the creek and in effect shaded it.

The shade in turn decreased the temperature of the creek. Trout can't stand higher water temperatures. I suspect many creeks in the foothills and close prairies contained trout at one time...cutthroats anyways. They are so small that the impact of clearcutting and cattle grazing ruined them. Good thing is that with fencing...you can bring it back.

Blaming everything on the oil industry is as common as blaming everything on global warming IMHO.
good points dace
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
id be surprised if humans are around at the end of the century let alone the lake trout...
I have the same concern that ties in Lake trout and people.

I agree. If the world decides to impose ridiculous restrictions based upon a false global warming chicken little strategy...many are going to start fighting back.

To return to 1950's level of CO2 means returning everyone to living like they did in the 1800's. There is going to be a huge migration to warmer climates due to the huge footprint CO2 cost of living in a cooler climate like Canada.

In turn the reduction in crops due to less intensive agricultural practices will precipitate a war over food growing regions. With few people in Canada...the US will impose their will during the Summer over our food resources. China and Russia will have a massive war over the wheat belt of the Ukraine et al. Sea going countries will be at war with China over fish stocks and Canada will lose the war over salmon and cod.

While increased temperatures have caused thing like the Renaissance due to the increased food production worldwide...with the global imposed CO2 ban...when the facts show the temperatures are actually decreasing and the food supply is significantly impacted...nuclear weapons will be strategically deployed to significantly reduce certain world populations. Eugenics will not be an issue but rather certain groups will just want to remove the competition for food.

As soon as food becomes limiting...all common sense goes out the window...

At this point...all lake trout will be netted out and go instinct. Once the last lake trout is netted...the final Armageddon will destroy the last people.

Then those dam brookies will take over Alberta and ruin any chance of the cutthroat recovery.

What a shame.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM

I have to ask a couple of question on a slightly different tangent.. If clear-cutting (don't get me wrong, I'm not a pro-clear-cutter) causes loss of habitat, then wouldn't forest-fires be just as bad? And yet, aren't forest fires positive to the environment....?
Also,
Before human intervention, a lot of Alberta used to be full-on prairie, with only pockets of forest. From about Athabasca down to Montana it was this prairie. Due to forest-fires, the "aspen parkland" biome was not present (with small exceptions, such as spruce groves). And now in the last 500 years humans have caused the aspen parkland to expand to fill up most of central Alberta (from fighting brush fires), causing species like white-tail deer to invade, pushing out species like pronghorn, and even reducing the population of mule deer. Considering that, it's a surprise our fisheries have managed to remain constant. With changing vegetation, predators, and human activity I am amazed that more species have not died off....
The North Saskatchewan River contained channel catfish up until aprox 150 years ago... What does this tell us?
There is my little rant, I hope I added value to this global-warming debate
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
I have to ask a couple of question on a slightly different tangent.. If clear-cutting (don't get me wrong, I'm not a pro-clear-cutter) causes loss of habitat, then wouldn't forest-fires be just as bad? And yet, aren't forest fires positive to the environment....?
Also,
Before human intervention, a lot of Alberta used to be full-on prairie, with only pockets of forest. From about Athabasca down to Montana it was this prairie. Due to forest-fires, the "aspen parkland" biome was not present (with small exceptions, such as spruce groves). And now in the last 500 years humans have caused the aspen parkland to expand to fill up most of central Alberta (from fighting brush fires), causing species like white-tail deer to invade, pushing out species like pronghorn, and even reducing the population of mule deer. Considering that, it's a surprise our fisheries have managed to remain constant. With changing vegetation, predators, and human activity I am amazed that more species have not died off....
The North Saskatchewan River contained channel catfish up until aprox 150 years ago... What does this tell us?
There is my little rant, I hope I added value to this global-warming debate
forest fires are not too good they loose habbat for animals and birds and rrealse co2 into the air
Old 06-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
forest fires are not too good they loose habbat for animals and birds and rrealse co2 into the air
But they create open forest space, and kill off many parasites...
So I assume you've been to jasper or banff. Do you notice how a lot of the large mammals (like elk) accumulate near/on the road? That's because the forests are so dense that there is not enough room for a significant amount of simple grasses to grow, and therefore there is not enough food for the elk. Near the road, there is plenty of grasses and such for them to graze on. If there are forest fires, it creates room for grazing space.
Part of the pine-beetle problem is that the trees aren't being burnt off in time (I know they do controlled burns), and thus causing the pest to spread.
Did you know that there was a native species of pine beetle in Alberta -- and still is -- and it was controlled naturally by forest fires.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
So I assume you've been to jasper or banff. Do you notice how a lot of the large mammals (like elk) accumulate near/on the road? That's because the forests are so dense that there is not enough room for a significant amount of simple grasses to grow, and therefore there is not enough food for the elk. Near the road, there is plenty of grasses and such for them to graze on. If there are forest fires, it creates room for grazing space.
Part of the pine-beetle problem is that the trees aren't being burnt off in time (I know they do controlled burns), and thus causing the pest to spread.
Did you know that there was a native species of pine beetle in Alberta -- and still is -- and it was controlled naturally by forest fires.
yeah its the cycle of life i guess.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Forest fires are a natural occurring natural force. Nature needs it. The thing is it does not happen everywhere and all at once...not all plants are destroyed or grazed down to nothing. Quads are cutting ruts through the mud to the creeks. Pockets of fire...does open up meadows for ungulates. Burned trees are habitat for woodpeckers. fallen trees create cover in creeks. Ash fertilizes the streams.

If all Alberta burned at once...that would be bad. What you are talking about is good.

Forest fires are also needed to germinate or provide habitat for some seeds like fire weed and lodgepoles.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
forest fires are good young man. its natures way of taking a shower or bath. it cleans things up and creates habitat in other ways.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Forest fires are a natural occurring natural force. Nature needs it. The thing is it does not happen everywhere and all at once...not all plants are destroyed or grazed down to nothing. Quads are cutting ruts through the mud to the creeks. Pockets of fire...does open up meadows for ungulates. Burned trees are habitat for woodpeckers. fallen trees create cover in creeks. Ash fertilizes the streams.

If all Alberta burned at once...that would be bad. What you are talking about is good.

Forest fires are also needed to germinate or provide habitat for some seeds like fire weed and lodgepoles.
Of course I didn't want to imply that all of Alberta should burn! Just in small pockets -- Like you said -- would be beneficial.
When I was talking about the grassland being the prominent biome in Alberta, I meant that approximately each year there were a few grass fires that regenerated the land.
I think fires like Talbot lake in Jasper are the helpful ones. Now don't peg me as a pyro or whatever , I'm just saying that the amount of land that that fire opened up was very helpful to many mammals.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Is that true? I didn't realize any northern draining watersheds had channel catfish in them at any point in time. 150 years ago wasn't that long, what was determined to be the end of them?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Is that true? I didn't realize any northern draining watersheds had channel catfish in them at any point in time. 150 years ago wasn't that long, what was determined to be the end of them?
I read it in a university text book. I can't remember why, something with temperatures.. I THINK
But they migrated from lake Winnipeg, and there are channel cats in Manitoba. So it does make sense. I will try to find the book.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I read it in a university text book. I can't remember why, something with temperatures.. I THINK
But they migrated from lake Winnipeg, and there are channel cats in Manitoba. So it does make sense. I will try to find the book.
It might be in this book... Fishes of Alberta
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
lets not get to hasty here. fh7 and i have decided that shore fishing is not practical and we need a subway boat. order will be placed tommorow. does your site have a boat launch?
it didn't go so well last night tosh. i think maybe a little TOO much light. maybe once the new boat lands, between you and dustin you'll come up with a better method. flares were still burning at 6 o clock this morning......let me know how it goes.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
it didn't go so well last night tosh. i think maybe a little TOO much light. maybe once the new boat lands, between you and dustin you'll come up with a better method. flares were still burning at 6 o clock this morning......let me know how it goes.
now we are really screwed. went to subway today and they wont giving us a boat....i think our best bet will be to bait em like gators. every time i hear one it sounds like its laughing at me.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
now we are really screwed. went to subway today and they wont giving us a boat....i think our best bet will be to bait em like gators. every time i hear one it sounds like its laughing at me.
you do the research this time Bud. i can't wait to catch up to that frenchmen. use lots of light? i got in a little hot water last night with the neighbors and momma. the cn rail guys were driving up and down the road all morning too.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM

what are we doing again
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
what are we doing again

wiping out the frog population in southern alberta.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM

http://youtu.be/WOoUVeyaY_8

gonna get this guy to guide us....
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
wiping out the frog population in southern alberta.
never caught a frog yet haha
Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
http://youtu.be/WOoUVeyaY_8

gonna get this guy to guide us....

good plan. i like this approach. have you looked into licensing? are we covered with a provincial fishing license? can't find a listing in the hunting regs?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
good plan. i like this approach. have you looked into licensing? are we covered with a provincial fishing license? can't find a listing in the hunting regs?

i am a asian driving a gold mini van....and i am gonna be with a russian with a bunch of fully automatic shotguns....what could go wrong?.