Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Default Your Rod Collection

I just got myself a new rod (mainly for pike fishing) and I was going through a number of older rods that I have accumulated over time and started to wonder what everyone uses for specific species or situations.

I know a number of people have rod and reels set for for almost every situation am just curious what they are.

Not really looking for brand info, more just weight and action ... and what you use that setup for.

My new rod is a medium/heavy with a fast action. 6'10"

Older rod is a medium with fast action. 6'6"

I have an older ugly which just says medium which I assume means medium weight medium action 7'

And a much older 6' rod with no obvious markings for weight and action but if I were to guess I would say it was light / medium with medium action.

Also curious about the catagory labels that new rods come with. Jigging, worm and jig, walleye, I wonder how much difference there can really be in the blank and what would make it so much better than the next rod with the same weight / action ratings.

Looking forward to the conversation
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM

I have had lots of rods over the years but always seem to break them. The only one that has stuck around for years now is my ugly stick. It medium 8' and it's to long for a boat if more then one guy. I just bought a 6'-6" medium heavy whoopin stick. So far for the price it's a nice rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
I have had lots of rods over the years but always seem to break them. The only one that has stuck around for years now is my ugly stick. It medium 8' and it's to long for a boat if more then one guy. I just bought a 6'-6" medium heavy whoopin stick. So far for the price it's a nice rod.

I have never broken a rod ... don't know if that means I am lucky or unlucky.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:15 AM

I alway break the tip off. The expensive graphite rods are the worst for it. For years I never had a boat that stored the rods so I always thought that was the issue (and was the main factor). Now with my boat that holds the rods it still happens lol.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 AM

I have at least 6 spinning rods 8'6" to 10'6" for salmon, another 6 halibut rods, some shorter spinners for local stuff and kayak fishing, maybe 5 fly rods which rarely see use and some 10'-11' surf rods. I broke 2 rods last year that shattered the upper section under load. One Berkeley and one Daiwa.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 AM

I use Fenwick for walleye Medium-Fast 6'6".
Not as fussy with my downrigger trolling rods. Usually a big ole catfish rod like an ugly stick or whatever is on sale with a good, stiff spine for Shuswap trouting.
When i do pick up a fly rod its a #6 9' for all around fishing. Not huge into fly fishing but it works in most situations.
I'd say I'm the fussiest with my walleye rig. Need to feel those subtle takes...
Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM

I like a medium action 6'6" with a cork handle, I find that the cork gives a better feel for the subtle bites.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 AM

Good topic. I have mainly 4 spinning rod/reel/line setup that I use

1. 7 ft MH fast graphite rod with 20 lb braid: I use this setup in situations that require sinsetivity and hook setting such as single hook lures (spinnerbaits, jigs, worms, frogs, and Johnson Silver minnow spoons) I also use it for pickerel rigs

2. 7 ft MH fast composite rod with 8 lb mono: I use this setup for situations where sensitivity and hook setting are not required such as all treble hook lures (spinners, swimbaits, crankbaits, and spoons with treble hooks)

3. 7 ft H fiberglass rod with 30 lb braid for casting heavy lures (more than 1 ounce)

4. 6.6 ft M graphite rod with 15 lb braid: most sensitive setup I have for trout fishing mostly with flies (although a spinning setup but I fly fish with it successfully)

I am also thinking to adding another graphite rod with fluorocarbon line specifically for worms
Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Was reading a thread and someone was talking about one piece rods. I am curious what benefits a one piece rod has?
Old 06-22-2016, 06:22 PM

I have a few diff ones. A Shimano with Shimano reel. Ugly stik GX2 with Shimano reel and a one piece Ugly Stik Tiger with C4 round reel. Shimano rod I use for slip bobbing and jigging. Ugly stik is for lures or short distance pik rigs. The Tiger I use for river fishing. I can say I find the one piece has much more sensitivity than my 2 piece rods. Can also throw a lot more weight with a one piece.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Was reading a thread and someone was talking about one piece rods. I am curious what benefits a one piece rod has?
way more feel
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
way more feel
x2.

I have several rods, but my go to is a 5'6 medium heavy fast action and the feel on it is crazy compared to most 2 piece rods I have. That said I do have a good two piece cabela brand rod that isn't far off.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
way more feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post

x2.
I have several rods, but my go to is a 5'6 medium heavy fast action and the feel on it is crazy compared to most 2 piece rods I have. That said I do have a good two piece cabela brand rod that isn't far off.
Maybe 15 years ago, not now.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM

Pretty much all my rods are light or ultra light 5:6 or 6ft with 6lb mostly. One has 8 for bull trout, mostly to help steer the 5-6lbers away from rocks and logs.
I mostly fish trout in small lakes and rivers so works for me, been walleye fishing lots last couple years and no problem with this set up, lots o fun on light tackle just have your drag set decent.
Wife caught a 10lb coho in Alaska on the ocean with a UL Berkeley lightning rod, that one took a while though.
Have a cheaper med 6:6 for pickerel rig fishing too.
I don't see what the deal is with the ugly sticks, they are too flimsy in the tip end and the rest is too stiff IMO.