Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 04:51 AM

Default Rugged cell phones

Anyone have a experience with rugged cell phones like the ulefone, blackview, sonim, cat or something similar?
Old 08-16-2022, 06:46 AM

I have a flip phone, it's called the Rugby for a reason.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-16-2022, 07:50 AM

After replacing the screen on my wife's phones I don't know how many times, I got her a Ulefone Armor X8 back in April. The case is definitely sturdy (feels like you could use it as a cudgel ), they claim the screen is hardened, but I put a screen protector on it anyway (cheap insurance). They also claim the phone is waterproof (as in take pictures underwater), we haven't tested that claim.

I was worried because the off brand phones tend to come with a lot of questionable bloatware installed, but this one didn't. Still too many apps installed by default for my liking but it is things like the google apps stuff. The phone works well, the only real complaint is the quality of the pictures. I have heard it suggested that a different camera app will fix that, but we haven't tried.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:59 AM

Put a catalyst or life proof case on it.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:12 PM

Years ago, my wife dropped her Samsung S3 outside of the car when we were packing up at the swimming pool. I actually ended up running OVER THE PHONE as we left the parking lot. It had the top of the line Otterbox case on it and survived with not a scratch on the phone. The case required replacement, but I wouldn't be without one since.

I did try the CAT phone with the thermal camera a few years ago and was sadly disappointed. I had more issues with it than any other phone we've ever had. It was constantly freezing and rebooting for no real reason.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:01 PM

Not exactly a full ruggedized phone by those standards, but I am currently using a "Samsung Galaxy s8 Active" after busting several phones in a row and will never go back to anything less.

2018 flagship specs & features (NFC, wireless charge, USB C, microSD) etc.
Excellent 2960 x 1440 5.8" AMOLED screen
Drop shatter resistant & waterproof
4000mah battery
Rubberized rugged construction!!

Bought it used from the states for just over 100 CAD (was never offered here) and have been using heavily for 3 years. Battery still tests at 88% capacity. No need for a case and no stupid fragile wrap around screens and glass backs.

Absolutely love it.

The only issue is that nothing else comparable has been made since, at least not since i checked probably 6 months ago. There are more rugged phones for sure and plenty faster, but nothing with the complete rugged flagship package like the S8 Active I have found yet.

Last edited by ren008; 08-16-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I have a flip phone, it's called the Rugby for a reason.

Grizz
I've got the same Samsung Rugby phone, doesn't take great pictures but real cameras do the job.

But, have been getting texts from Telus that functionality way be reduced with G5, what next?
Old 08-17-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I have a flip phone, it's called the Rugby for a reason. Grizz

X2

Mine is a Samsung Rugby II, now 16 years old and been through hell and back and never seen a repair shop.

Vic
Old 08-17-2022, 05:17 PM

With all the technology available I don’t understand why the big guys like Apple and Samsung etc don’t make a good heavy duty smart phone in the old flip phone format. I know they did the folding screen deal but that is way to fragile.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:53 PM

Default DeWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
With all the technology available I don’t understand why the big guys like Apple and Samsung etc don’t make a good heavy duty smart phone in the old flip phone format. I know they did the folding screen deal but that is way to fragile.
If they made them tougher then you wouldn't need to replace the screen and or phone as often. I'm certain they are made week by design, more phones sold

A good friend has the DeWalt phone, he's harder on phones than I am, I'm good for 1 a year, he's had his for a couple now so it must be tough.

He had some problems getting it to work with his carrier but its working fine now so it must of been a simple fix

https://uncrate.com/dewalt-smartphone/
Old 09-29-2022, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies. After some consideration ended up giving the Nokia Xr20 a shot. https://youtu.be/JGoX6YPn8d0
Old 09-29-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Trapper View Post
Anyone have a experience with rugged cell phones like the ulefone, blackview, sonim, cat or something similar?
A guy I work with wanted to prove the durability of his sonim, he closed (Not flat out slammed) his tailgate on the phone and it survived with a small chip on the screen. Sent it in for warranty and had the replacement in a week. It looks like a neat phone, I believe he is with Telus.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:31 PM

Have friends who always keep their phones in a shirt pocket. They break their phones often.

Rule number 1: never keep your phone in your shirt pocket
Rule number 2: put a case on it
Rule number 3: learn from your mistakes