Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Downrigger mount to seat base?

A long time reader of the forum but this is my first post. Has anybody seen or heard of mounting downriggers to a seat base using a seat pedestal? I am chasing all options to have them removable without drilling holes in my new boat. I have the canon unitroll's and the booms are long enough to clear the gunwales without having to extend them. I'm guessing the torque might be too much for the seat base? Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsasky View Post
A long time reader of the forum but this is my first post. Has anybody seen or heard of mounting downriggers to a seat base using a seat pedestal? I am chasing all options to have them removable without drilling holes in my new boat. I have the canon unitroll's and the booms are long enough to clear the gunwales without having to extend them. I'm guessing the torque might be too much for the seat base? Thoughts?
Some guys use something similar to a seat pedestal only higher for regular pontoon boats, so just google pontoon downrigger mounts.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
That is how I am going to mount mine. If a seat base can hold my fat ole carcass bouncing across a lake, sure it can hold a downrigger.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned

What kind of boat? I bought a small downrigger for my 14' tinny that clamps right to the gunnel.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
Some guys use something similar to a seat pedestal only higher for regular pontoon boats, so just google pontoon downrigger mounts.
Thanks, I think I have seen the mounts you're referring to only not mounted to a swivel seat base. I'll check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
That is how I am going to mount mine. If a seat base can hold my fat ole carcass bouncing across a lake, sure it can hold a downrigger.
Lol, this thought crossed my mind as well but wasn't sure if the load put on the seat base in a side/perpendicular direction would be too much. If you think it'll work I may try it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What kind of boat? I bought a small downrigger for my 14' tinny that clamps right to the gunnel.
I want to stay away from the clamp on style. My last boat was a tinny and I ran a 2x6 across the back which worked very well but was hoping to try something different
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I want to stay away from the clamp on style. My last boat was a tinny and I ran a 2x6 across the back which worked very well but was hoping to try something different
I haven't tried the clamp on downrigger yet. Did you have issues with that type?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM

My thoughts ..... If you are using your downrigger often and take time to install the plastic base properly it looks neat and clean like a part of the boat.

It should be stronger this was and in a much better position to take full advanatage of your spread. You would also enjoy your floor space in the boat.

I don't have experience with seat base mounting but it seems like it could present some challenges for a number of reasons.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My thoughts ..... If you are using your downrigger often and take time to install the plastic base properly it looks neat and clean like a part of the boat.

It should be stronger this was and in a much better position to take full advanatage of your spread. You would also enjoy your floor space in the boat.

I don't have experience with seat base mounting but it seems like it could present some challenges for a number of reasons.
This is all true and makes sense. My problem is that I will use them probably less than half the time on the boat and is why I want them removable. The space they will take up in the boat I will be able to deal with as it won't be very often. Mounting them properly to the gunwale would look neat and clean but was worrying about resale and having 8 bolt holes in the boat. Using the seat base does still worry me a little. Maybe I gotta suck it up and bolt them in....or go back to a 2x6 plank and run it across.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Maybe try this ...http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-e...mbal-mount.htm
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
This is all true and makes sense. My problem is that I will use them probably less than half the time on the boat and is why I want them removable. The space they will take up in the boat I will be able to deal with as it won't be very often. Mounting them properly to the gunwale would look neat and clean but was worrying about resale and having 8 bolt holes in the boat. Using the seat base does still worry me a little. Maybe I gotta suck it up and bolt them in....or go back to a 2x6 plank and run it across.
Sorry if this sounds simple ......but maybe you dont know ...... all that stays in your boat is this 5" x 5" plastic base. The downrigger get unplugged, un-mounted and stays in the garage, RV or shed and does not need to be on the boat. There are 4 thumb screws that mount to the base.

Just permanently bolt this base down - easy and neat and the rigger completely installs and removes in 35 seconds. The bolts are recessed.

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Scot...-756p42533.htm

You will hardly notice this on your back deck or rear gunnels - it looks factory, clean and is, in fact, the proper, safe way to mount this.

If you are dead set against putting 4 holes in your boat in exchange for the time, effort and associated risk with rigging up a seat base contraption then cool. I bet 99% of guys buying your boat wouldn't bat an eye lash when it comes time to sell your boat. Most wouldn't even notice it I bet.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Heck my boat looks like swiss cheese, there are so many holes drilled in it. Read up on where and how to place the mounts then drill holes.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM

2x6 board mounted across the gunnels using u bolts to hold it down to the cleats on the gunnels. No holes in boat and a very sturdy platform.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Heck my boat looks like swiss cheese, there are so many holes drilled in it. Read up on where and how to place the mounts then drill holes.
It's the holes under the waterline that I'm careful about ....... lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds simple ......but maybe you dont know ...... all that stays in your boat is this 5" x 5" plastic base. The downrigger get unplugged, un-mounted and stays in the garage, RV or shed and does not need to be on the boat. There are 4 thumb screws that mount to the base.

Just permanently bolt this base down - easy and neat and the rigger completely installs and removes in 35 seconds. The bolts are recessed.

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Scot...-756p42533.htm

You will hardly notice this on your back deck or rear gunnels - it looks factory, clean and is, in fact, the proper, safe way to mount this.

If you are dead set against putting 4 holes in your boat in exchange for the time, effort and associated risk with rigging up a seat base contraption then cool. I bet 99% of guys buying your boat wouldn't bat an eye lash when it comes time to sell your boat. Most wouldn't even notice it I bet.
Yes I understand how riggers mount to a boat. I had them mounted on my last one. Back to my original post, I guess only JohninAB is the only one who has seen or tried mounting to a seat base. Thanks for the info guys I'll figure something out
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
It's the holes under the waterline that I'm careful about ....... lol.
Good point.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Seat base downrigger

I did this last year for similar reasons to yourself plus I didn't want to have to modify my cover. I'll take a pic and post it tonight. Works well but took a bit of work. The seat bases are not level. They are made to have the seat lean and therefore I had to make a shim to fit between the seat base and support I made for the rigger. It had to be significantly thicker or the back than the front to make the rigger sit level. When all was said and done it turned out great and works great for my purpose!! Feel free to ask any questions and Ill get the pics on soon. Good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Pics

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/mac...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s168.photobucket.com/user/mac...tml?sort=3&o=0

Well hopefully these pics work. If not ill have to actually use the computer and not just the cell!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Well hopefully these pics work. If not ill have to actually use the computer and not just the cell!
nice idea!!

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations