Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM

when did hunting regs become the law for pest control some people seem to think if you can shoot it it must have a season and it is a regulated sport as for shooting coyotes by ranches or farmers after a time limit only use to a ply to regulated sport hunting pest control took place when the opportunity presented its self.if I was ranching or farming and had a problem with coyotes I just poison them off.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
are you allowed to hunt coyotes at night on private prop/farm???are they classed as a nuisance? anyone know the regs for alberta on this? thanx
i do not see where it says you can not "hunt" coyotes at night on private land. you just can not kill them or attempt to kill them with a weapon of any sort,even a slingshot. for an example, having a komandor chase coyotes from your flock of sheep at night. or,your sheepdog chasing a fox from your chicken coop. just idle ramblings...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Common sense should prevail...
Very true. Problem is, there just isn't that much of it around anymore (common sense that is) and they don't teach it at university. Right Oky?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Very true. Problem is, there just isn't that much of it around anymore (common sense that is) and they don't teach it at university. Right Oky?
Common sense isn't as common as it once was.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
"Right Oky?" LOL Do you need to ask someone who's actually been there? Why would lack of knowledge and experience slow you down now? LOL jk

Seriously, the only thing I've commented on is those who choose to selectively break hunting and firearms laws. Not sure why that would be controversial here but you seem to have a problem with that. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the reason for you throwing your barbed comment out. If so, I apologize. Not trying to start any fights. And yes, they do discuss the law at university.

Last edited by Okotokian; 02-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM

My two cents... "Hunt" yotes in the day, "Trap" them at night. Whether you have predation problems or not...Out!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM

No shooting at night and for good reason. You need to be able to see what you're shooting at as well as what's beyond. If you can't see, it's definitely not a safe shot.

Safety first my good man!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
"Right Oky?" LOL Do you need to ask someone who's actually been there? Why would lack of knowledge and experience slow you down now? LOL jk

Seriously, the only thing I've commented on is those who choose to selectively break hunting and firearms laws. Not sure why that would be controversial here but you seem to have a problem with that. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the reason for you throwing your barbed comment out. If so, I apologize. Not trying to start any fights. And yes, they do discuss the law at university.
Ooooo. Struck a sensitive spot there, I guess. Sorry about that, Oky. No, I don't need to ask someone who's been to university whether they teach common sense there. If you actually take the time to read my post, you'll see that I was simply making a statement of fact which was based on my own observations when I was there (quite a few years before you were, I suspect) and then just asking whether or not you agreed.

Not quite sure what you mean by the question about "lack of knowlege and experience" slowing me down. Maybe you'd like to elaborate on that. If you are implying that I might be inclined to do some illegal night hunting/ shooting, you're jumping to conclusions. Not a good idea. You should be careful about that.

My point in the post was that if common sense prevailed there would be no need for a law prohibiting discharge of a firearm after dark. Given that common sense is in short supply these days, there is a definite need for such a law and I happen to agree with it completely.

Oh, and I do know that the law is discussed at university. Several of the courses I took dealt with it directly and others indirectly. Moreover I spent my entire career practicing a profession which required an in depth knowlege of a certain area of the law and a general knowlege of a number of others.

Lighten up. You'll live longer.

Last edited by 270WIN; 02-11-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Common sense is more common in the farmers and ranchers than the city folk these days... I'm not advocating this but honestly most ranchers and farmers common sense will tell them to do whatever they want on their land and follow the 3 S's rule since the chance of them ever being caught on their sections of private isolated land are 0.000000000001%