Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Default 2010 CWD Results ??

Is there anyone else who has not got their CWD results yet?? We took 4 deer out of WMU 234 mid November and still no messages on my WINRELM ??
I believe they contact you early if there are positive results,but whats the use of submitting heads if you dont hear back for 3 Months !!
Apparently the meat is still supposed to be OK to eat and wont harm humans but its still reassuring knowing if it is tested negative.
Is there a contact number i can call or do i just call the local F&W office where i dropped them off.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Springer..I would give them a call. I have gotten back all my results even from my Dec deer.
I hope your not one of the guys that struggled with your name part of the form....
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM

I got mine back a couple days ago. They said it was unsuitable for testing.
Anyone else get that reply back and what would make a head unsuitable for testing?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM

slipbobber...hard to tell why they couldn't test. Give them a call.

I think most of the time issues stem from the head going bad (your end or their's)..unthawing and freezing several times, not being frozen right away and sometimes not enough sample (scooped out brain matter, shot in the head, etc).
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 PM

I went down to F and W here in Red Deer but no one there could give me a answer. The head was frozen hours after the deer was skined. I guess I'll have to call someone else.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 PM

You would be better off just giving a couple roasts to the Mother-In-Law the day after the hunt and then waiting the three months

tm
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
You would be better off just giving a couple roasts to the Mother-In-Law the day after the hunt and then waiting the three months

tm
Before getting the MIL tested?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM

I shot a deer on the first day of the wainright muzzleloader season and have heard nothing yet eithier the whole program is stupid I know people that shot deer in December that have thier results. You can sure tell this is a government run testing system lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM

I've gotten all my results back, including an elk taken in early January.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskybaron View Post
I shot a deer on the first day of the wainright muzzleloader season and have heard nothing yet eithier the whole program is stupid I know people that shot deer in December that have thier results. You can sure tell this is a government run testing system lol.
I have my results, 1 from September, 2 from early November, one from Wainwright ML, and yes my Wt from December.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM

I am in the same boat, shot 2 deer at Wainwright December 3rd and 4th but no results yet. The rest of our wainwright hunting group hasn't heard anything back yet either.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM

I got my results back a couple weeks ago and they couldn't do the test on my head as I gave just the brain and not the whole head to Fish and Wildlife. They gave me a rough time for bring in just the brain as well!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM

I received my results a few days ago, shot my deer at the end of november. I've heard that if your deer tests positive they say to dispose of the meat even though it should be fine to consume. Getting results back this late is kinda crappy, as half my deer is consumed already, so if it would have tested positive( it was negtive) then i would have been eating "tainted meat".

anyone else hear about disposing of the meat?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_buck View Post
I received my results a few days ago, shot my deer at the end of november. I've heard that if your deer tests positive they say to dispose of the meat even though it should be fine to consume. Getting results back this late is kinda crappy, as half my deer is consumed already, so if it would have tested positive( it was negtive) then i would have been eating "tainted meat".

anyone else hear about disposing of the meat?
According to the CWD information put out by SRD, if the tested animal is positive you can keep the meat at your own risk or give it up and they will give you a deer tag for next year. I think they would prefer if you gave it up to reduce the risk of it entering the food chain.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Springer..I would give them a call. I have gotten back all my results even from my Dec deer.
I hope your not one of the guys that struggled with your name part of the form....
Ha ha Good one Shane ,but maybe your right !!
There sure seems to be some varied replies here hey.
With CWD being mandatory testing there should mandatory results to the hunters who went through the hassle of getting the heads to them frozen and the required information attached.
I turned 3 of the 4 into Euro's which i would normally have the complete skull,but with having to submit the brain I cut behind the antlers & skull with my Wyoming saw that cuts through the brain but still the whole brain is submitted.

Slipbobber Did Red Deer F&W give you another number to call.

Tundra M thats some pretty good humour there, to bad I lucked out with a real good MILaw.

Like most guys who hasnt eaten a bunch of their Venison already. Especially making sausage and tasting as you make it..

Thanks for your replies Fella's.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Slipbobber Did Red Deer F&W give you another number to call.

The f and w officer I was talking to took my number and was going to get back to me. So far theres been no call back. Might have to drop in there again to see what they found out or get a number to someone who can tell me why they where unable to test the head I sent in.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I turned 3 of the 4 into Euro's which i would normally have the complete skull,but with having to submit the brain I cut behind the antlers & skull with my Wyoming saw that cuts through the brain but still the whole brain is
You can still do complete skull Euros. I did it with my archery mule deer. All you have to submit is the lower jaw with the larynx, tonssils toungue and rear of throat attched. They don't necessarily need the brain to test.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM

I still haven't received results from the 1st Wainwright season (muzzleloader)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
You can still do complete skull Euros. I did it with my archery mule deer. All you have to submit is the lower jaw with the larynx, tonssils toungue and rear of throat attched. They don't necessarily need the brain to test.
No Kidding !! I would like to see a " How To"on that as well as some others I am sure. Something else that should be included to promote hunters submitting their heads. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM

I got my results back in early dec. (positive). I took my deer to F&W for them to destroy as they wanted to have it incinerated. shot in 152 first weekend of nov.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
I got my results back in early dec. (positive). I took my deer to F&W for them to destroy as they wanted to have it incinerated. shot in 152 first weekend of nov.
Thats crazy !! Incinerated, and some of us are eating what could be Non threatening CWD meat.