Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Default snowshoe ???

I getting tired of walking in waist high snow, but being very quietness oriented, I don't know what kind of snowshoe would be the best for hunting.

Good and bad... what is your personal experience ?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Default Snow shoes

In general all snow shoes are about the same as far as quietness
my advice by the new smaller style that are easier to move around so you won't be banging into to many trees and shrubs the binding are the most cause of noise cheers
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM

if you are hunting and want to be quiet tie a spruce bow to the bottom of you snow shoes!! Old winter recon trick! Hard on the knees so be careful not to hump 2 -3 miles. only use as required!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM

look up faber snowshoes they have lots of designs and suggestions to help you out!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM

I talked to the guy at The silent Glide in the usa and he was very helpful I have not purchased yet. It all depends on what you weigh with gear. He said he uses the Faber mountain Quest 11-40 and has no sinking issues.If you want to go traditional with wood frame that would be very quiet, he recommended the Objbwa 12-60. That pair was also recommended to me by a very good shed hunter from Saskatchewan. I also have had my eye on the Artic Trecker snowshoes from IRL supplies from BC. I tried a pair of big foot snow shoes last week and they sunk about a foot where ever I went. I felt I would have been better off without them, they were 9-30 and my weight was too much for them. They were good enough to take them back. Keep us posted on what you get and how they work for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

It all depends on the snow/your weight for how well they stay on top. And it all depends on the snow for quietness. Good snowshoeing snow tends to be fairly noisy.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM

I don't know anything about snow shoes but I used a pair of Atlas trail snow shoes a couple weeks back hunting pigs. Maybe they're no good after a certain depth of snow but I was better off without them that's for sure!!! They would sink 2 1/2 feet down in 3 feet of snow it was ridiculous I was falling all over the place. Probably just not the right shoes for me though.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM

is it snow conditions ?? I to was shed hunting yesterday in the knee deep snow with MSR lightweight snowshoes , I was not that impressed either.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
is it snow conditions ?? I to was shed hunting yesterday in the knee deep snow with MSR lightweight snowshoes , I was not that impressed either.
Its all the snow, as long as your within the recommended weights for your snowshoes. And they are backcountry shoes, not racing or trail ones. No snowshoes will help you stay on top when theres no top layer or hard layer of snow. Unless you have some 70"x15"s...good luck maneuvering those bad boys through the trees.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM

ojibways are fine for picking thru trees and brush. the cree style with the rounded noses get hung up.

the new aluminum shoes have great bindings (thanks to snowboarders) but they are noisy.

hard to beat hide and wood for hunting or breaking snow.