Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 PM

Default Zama Bison

Hey guys just seeing if anyone else is going to be up bison hunting in zama this week.We are there and just wanted to see if any body was up
And wanted to share intel or have any advice. Let me know either post or pm. Thanks guys
Old 11-30-2017, 07:05 PM

PM sent
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Tried to respond to your pm grey wolf. Hope it worked
Old 11-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Got it!!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:51 PM

I'm headed up Saturday.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:58 PM

This is my third trip up here. I’m hunting till next week. If anyone would like to exchange phone numbers to call and help each other fill tags once a herd has been spotted PM me.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Congratulations to 308 hunters party on harvesting a beauty of a bull today, I’ll let him take over the thread.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:12 PM

Just got up this evening. First time up here would live to know where to start the hunt. Also I don't know how to pm 😬
Old 12-01-2017, 10:52 PM

To PM, just click on the guys name.....and the 2nd option is private message. Good luck you guys and we NEED pics !
Old 12-02-2017, 05:31 AM

used to see alot of them just on the side of the road to zama
Old 12-02-2017, 09:37 AM

I’m By high level right now hunting the east side of the lake. Been hearing lots of talk on where they are but just have to find one now.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Headed up the 26th and hope to find one for my little gal!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Headed up the 26th and hope to find one for my little gal!
I’ll touch base with you next week when I’m home
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM

Hey guys. Would just like to say thanks to everyone for the comments we appreciate it. Will post some pictures when I’m home tommorow as my phone is is not cooperating. Would like to put a big thanks out to Grey wolf and his hunting partner, you won’t find better people then these 2. We owe you guys. If any buddy is heading up and I can be of any assistance please let me know would be greatful to be able to help some one else out. Cheers guys
Old 12-03-2017, 03:56 PM

^^ well done everyone
Old 12-03-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308HUnter View Post
Hey guys. Would just like to say thanks to everyone for the comments we appreciate it. Will post some pictures when I’m home tommorow as my phone is is not cooperating. Would like to put a big thanks out to Grey wolf and his hunting partner, you won’t find better people then these 2. We owe you guys. If any buddy is heading up and I can be of any assistance please let me know would be greatful to be able to help some one else out. Cheers guys
Well said and can't wait for the pics.
Any assistance offered I am all ears. I have a plan in mind on what I am doing but I am not afraid to ask for help on a hunt like this one!
My daughter is getting so pumped. She has already brought it up numerous times this past week and is excited as can be!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well said and can't wait for the pics.
Any assistance offered I am all ears. I have a plan in mind on what I am doing but I am not afraid to ask for help on a hunt like this one!
My daughter is getting so pumped. She has already brought it up numerous times this past week and is excited as can be!
There’s a gal that works at the gas station in Zama, she was a huge part of our success last year. Don’t be afraid to ask the locals as they are great people up there.

Jim...
Old 12-04-2017, 02:47 AM

Thanks and will do that. I think I will stay in Rainbow unless others think that is a dumb idea?
Got sleds and gear to keep the little gal warm.
My only worry is to find one and have it hold still long enough for her.
I got a buddy coming to help out and hope we come home with a buffalo!
Can't wait!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 AM

Thumbs up Zama

Good luck, Nube ... I shall be cheering for you and the young lady !!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 PM

How much snow is up there? heading up near the end of the month
Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 AM

Hope this works!! Having trouble posting photos
Old 12-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308HUnter View Post
Hope this works!! Having trouble posting photos
I find it the easiest to use your phone and just add them as an attachment.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 AM

Default Bison

So let’s keep this thread rolling we just came home from Zama we found the hunt to be pretty difficult at this point we learned a lot about the area and made contacts for our next trip if we decide to go back. We also learned that these animals can and will travel ridiculous distances at night. Talk to the locals. Talk to the workers and be prepared to see nothing but trees on some days tracking them is ok but! You better be fast about it. In short and I hate to say it the hunt reminded of the Suffield Elk hunt not the best experience. But it was my first trip up so 🤷🏻*♂️ And be ready to drive! A lot!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Default I hear ya

We were up there in Jan 2015, the most surprising thing to us was the vast amounts of nothing up there. You'd literally go miles and miles not seeing a track of anything. Some areas are fairly remote so you need to be able to handle getting stuck or stranded as help might not come soon, there really no such thing as being over-prepared
We did see a group about 10 AM our first day, the area looked like a rototiller had gone thru there; the herd bull was skittish and we got no shot. Hours of driving up the Shekelie highway to the middle of nowhere before we turned back and ended up getting a big bull near the plant. These things are crazy heavy, we gladly took all help that was offered.
I'd go back in a heartbeat, lotsa windshield time, lotsa patience, lotsa work.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Prepare

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
We were up there in Jan 2015, the most surprising thing to us was the vast amounts of nothing up there. You'd literally go miles and miles not seeing a track of anything. Some areas are fairly remote so you need to be able to handle getting stuck or stranded as help might not come soon, there really no such thing as being over-prepared
We did see a group about 10 AM our first day, the area looked like a rototiller had gone thru there; the herd bull was skittish and we got no shot. Hours of driving up the Shekelie highway to the middle of nowhere before we turned back and ended up getting a big bull near the plant. These things are crazy heavy, we gladly took all help that was offered.
I'd go back in a heartbeat, lotsa windshield time, lotsa patience, lotsa work.
Absolutely be over prepared. I wish you could hunt them better and do less driving from lease to lease but it seems that’s the ticket to getting one or be prepared to go out to the middle of the lake and walk a lot in a lot of snow
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer40 View Post
So let’s keep this thread rolling we just came home from Zama we found the hunt to be pretty difficult at this point we learned a lot about the area and made contacts for our next trip if we decide to go back. We also learned that these animals can and will travel ridiculous distances at night. Talk to the locals. Talk to the workers and be prepared to see nothing but trees on some days tracking them is ok but! You better be fast about it. In short and I hate to say it the hunt reminded of the Suffield Elk hunt not the best experience. But it was my first trip up so 🤷🏻*♂️ And be ready to drive! A lot!
The days of driving around in the truck and killing a big bull seem to be over from what we saw last year. If you don't have a sled to get off the beaten path you're going to be pretty disappointed most likely.
I had my 4 year old with me last year on our first trip and it was -37 so we had to stick to the truck. We covered a lot of miles where I used to see bison all the time and there was nothing there, and very very few tracks.
On our second trip we hopped on the sleds and went 40 km's deep and killed one that day just after lunch.
Everybody we talked to without sleds were not having fun looking at emptiness. I saw one guy pile near a road, so somebody obviously did find one, but that was it
Old 12-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Default Sleds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The days of driving around in the truck and killing a big bull seem to be over from what we saw last year. If you don't have a sled to get off the beaten path you're going to be pretty disappointed most likely.
I had my 4 year old with me last year on our first trip and it was -37 so we had to stick to the truck. We covered a lot of miles where I used to see bison all the time and there was nothing there, and very very few tracks.
On our second trip we hopped on the sleds and went 40 km's deep and killed one that day just after lunch.
Everybody we talked to without sleds were not having fun looking at emptiness. I saw one guy pile near a road, so somebody obviously did find one, but that was it
I had a sled I afraid to use it it seemed everyone said when the bison heard the sled they ran but we will try again
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer40 View Post
I had a sled I afraid to use it it seemed everyone said when the bison heard the sled they ran but we will try again
Ahhhhhh.

Live and learn I suppose, next time I suggest just getting on the sled and saving the fuel in the truck
Old 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM

My buddy said they are getting spooky of sleds now. I imagine the same herds are getting pounded all the time and figure it out pretty fast
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 AM

Just got back. I can see how it wouldn't be a great hunt if you just worked the roads. We tried the roads for a bit and saw one but took to long deciding what we were looking at and it got away into some thick bush.

However we spent most of our time on sleds. It was a great hunt. Saw lots of bison and ended up getting one. It is a huge area and you need to put on a lot of miles. And be prepared to move A LOT of meat a long ways.