Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: LR Harvest success x distance. What are the results?
I have harvested at least three Big Game animals a distances betwee 450-549 yards 51 53.68%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of between 551 yards and 649 yards 17 17.89%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of between 650 yards and 749 yards 13 13.68%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance greater than 750 yards 22 23.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
With 1382 viewers and 55 individuals selecting one or more of the poll options we can likely come to an interpretation of some type regarding LR Hunting. What's your take ?
My Take? Some are comfortable shooting short, some are comfortable shooting long , some are just comfortable shooting and then there's the shooters that are just flukey and didn't know any different.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
My Take? Some are comfortable shooting short, some are comfortable shooting long , some are just comfortable shooting and then there's the shooters that are just flukey and didn't know any different.
Finally some one with common sense in him,it's a big world not every on is the same level ..
Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I hear all the time about long distance, short distance , and people slamming those that advocate or even occasionally shoot at long distance - right here in this thread in fact
I also have heard those that turn up their noses at people that shoot only at short distance .
However I have never seen a definitive distance parameter for long and short - basically because one Hunter's distance Maxim is not the same as another's .
I have shot them what I consider long and short .
Cat
For those that are new or are trying to learn some thing, pay attention to this guy ,he's an excellent shooter and hunter and will never degrade you or belittle you online on his achievements to make himself fell better . So shoot in your comfort zone so that you don't second guess your shot and practice at all ranges and see where your distance maxim is,it 's very important.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Banned

Well thanks jd. Just stating my take.

You are correct about the cat. He pretty knowledgeable fella and friendly.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:11 PM

I have argued and beat This dead horse in other threads as well, But you don’t have to go 20 miles uphill in both directions to be successful, you can kill an animal at 10 yards on your honey hole and with the right practice you can kill an animal at 1000 yards. Seems like anytime a trophy is taken everyone needs to justify how there is no way it could happen without breaking laws.. dedication, hardwork and most of all persistence is key to success. IMO of course so take it however you like. I follow a sask hunting page and there is constant feedback how you can kill b&c Bucks year after year for the fact that you can bait. Anybody that has the ablility to feed deer will tell you that this is far from the truth.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM

This year I got an antlered mule deer at 369 yards. This was my longest shot in 30 years hunting. I am no more or less proud of this harvest than the white tail or elk that I got at much closer distances this year. All successful shots take deciseviness. I've hunted with people that are better stalkers and those that are better shots. As long as they are putti.g them away ethically, seems good to me.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 AM

The longest shot and kill I did with a rifle was at 600 yds.
The longest shot and a kill with my compound bow was at 63 yds .
In my personal opinion to make a clean kill with a bow at that distance is much harder then with a rifle at 600 yds.
S12
Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
I have argued and beat This dead horse in other threads as well, But you don’t have to go 20 miles uphill in both directions to be successful, you can kill an animal at 10 yards on your honey hole and with the right practice you can kill an animal at 1000 yards. Seems like anytime a trophy is taken everyone needs to justify how there is no way it could happen without breaking laws.. dedication, hardwork and most of all persistence is key to success. IMO of course so take it however you like. I follow a sask hunting page and there is constant feedback how you can kill b&c Bucks year after year for the fact that you can bait. Anybody that has the ablility to feed deer will tell you that this is far from the truth.
This is why people hunt horns. It imposed restrictive parameters.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Default Long shots

Almost all my game taken at less than 75 yds. Longest was Antelope at 275 yds.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
1874 50-90 black-power ....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Dixon

2017 Canadian sniper ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...d_sniper_kills

with the Rifle's & cartridges/scopes/range finders/etc of today

hunting distances have expanded

long distance shooting schools/ranges have increased
Time
internet helps long distance shooter's have access to latest equipment/info

belonging to clubs ... forums ... ranges have shortened learning curve
https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

Hunting is done in many forms .. Long Range is just one

remember

every thing that die's is food for another

such is the circle of life

Food for Thought

David
Hunting and sniping are two different things, serving two different objectives.
Long range shooting within reason is one thing, turning hunting into sniping is another.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I suspect for a number of people this survey is bunk, I’ve talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at some pretty lon distances. In several of the cases they said they killed elk and deer at like 6,700 yards. Few holes to the stories in many cases, talk about placing the crosshairs on the spine, not using a rangefinder and this was the estimated distance. Anyone who has actually shot at ranges like that knows how much their bullet drops and how exact the distance needs to be to what you’re shooting for or you will miss.
I agree with this comment about this survey being bunk! I have talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at 600 -700 yards. Many of these guys at the gun range while we are shooting at the 400 yard gongs and they think they are 600 yards. Btw, these same guys never hit the 400 yd gong even once from the bench and can't hit the 200 yard gong from any real life hunting rest positions, prone, knee, butt etc!

I have not taken an animal within any of the parameters set out in the survey, all less than 300 yds in 30 years of hunting. Could I have shot at huge whitetail bucks at 500, 600 or even 700yds... yes, but I never even considered taking that shot. Even though I can hit long distance gongs from the bench with consistency, but hunting conditions and rests are different than the bench plain and simple.

Last edited by abhunter8; 02-09-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Banned

Old 02-09-2018, 10:00 PM

The survey should say "lasered yards"...
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 PM

Default short hunter

Trained in the military years ago for some maybe eons ago, took to the long range stuff and learned all the spec's and ballistics, but hunting well I like it up close hence the old traditional hunting methods I use. I went to help a guide once for goats, (ONCE), hunter took a shot about 675 yards and set the animal down right on the ledge he was standing on, I was very impressed most could not hit a black bear at 25 yards, then looked down a few hundred feet at the river basin and across and up the other side to where the Goat was laying waiting!!! Like I said (ONCE).
Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I agree with this comment about this survey being bunk! I have talked to a number of people who have said they shot animals at 600 -700 yards. Many of these guys at the gun range while we are shooting at the 400 yard gongs and they think they are 600 yards. Btw, these same guys never hit the 400 yd gong even once from the bench and can't hit the 200 yard gong from any real life hunting rest positions, prone, knee, butt etc!

I have not taken an animal within any of the parameters set out in the survey, all less than 300 yds in 30 years of hunting. Could I have shot at huge whitetail bucks at 500, 600 or even 700yds... yes, but I never even considered taking that shot. Even though I can hit long distance gongs from the bench with consistency, but hunting conditions and rests are different than the bench plain and simple.
Well said. Many long range stories are just that. Stories. There are some who
have the skills to make some pretty long shots under the right conditions. And many more who just claim to be able to. There seem to be a lot of people who don’t realize how bleeping far a 600 yard shot is under most field conditions.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
Hunting and sniping are two different things, serving two different objectives.
Long range shooting within reason is one thing, turning hunting into sniping is another.
Please explain. Because I'm curious how far away the magical line is that determines if I'm hunting or sniping ?

Also, if I killed any past the line, does that mean I can tell my friends & coworkers I'm a sniper ?

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 02-09-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Please explain. Because I'm curious how far away the magical line is that determines if I'm hunting or sniping..?
You should be able to figure that out for yourself. I would say anyone that has hunted for very long should have a pretty good idea of what their own boundaries are. I guess if they are being honest with themselves. Or have a clue what they are talking about.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Banned

I've shot twice at animal beyond 400 and honestly won't again I can shoot great to 400 but that's my limit and I'm fine with nkt often I have to shoot past 220 seems my average is 150-175
Old 02-09-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
You should be able to figure that out for yourself. I would say anyone that has hunted for very long should have a pretty good idea of what their own boundaries are.
Well no, because you've clearly defined "there is a difference"... I want to know what that difference is, where is the line ?

Speckle55 and others have mentioned how precise rifles & optics are now, and that shooting animals confidently at greater distances than previously thought to be "reasonable" isn't unreasonabe.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Well no, because you've clearly defined "there is a difference"... I want to know what that difference is, where is the line ?

Speckle55 and others have mentioned how precise rifles & optics are now, and that shooting animals confidently at greater distances than previously thought to be "reasonable" isn't unreasonabe.
I am quite aware how precise rifles and optics are nowadays. This doesn’t change the fact that as distance increases, (all else being equal) the greater chance there is that something could go wrong with a shot. I have taken more than a few long shots at game but know where it is that I start to get uncomfortable. If you’re dying to tell me how far you can shoot go ahead.
As for the difference between sniping and hunting, think about it for awhile.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:03 AM

The comments which point out what your rifle can do from the bench versus any hunting situation/rest position you choose, and the difference in accuracy even a pretty accomplished shooter is significant. 300 yards at the range, off the bench with a solid rest, at 3"-4" might look closer to double or triple that in the field - which puts that same shot close to or even into the "no go" category for most guys at ranges even a smidge beyond that in a hunting situation.

I don't have any issue shooting paper at 400+ yards - but it would be very unlikely I'd take that shot in the field unless I had nearly ideal conditions, lots of time to range and properly rest the weapon.

The other thing some of these fairly tale spinners miss, thinking joe average shooter like me, who has done a fair amount of actual shooting knows, is that unless you can accurately range your target a +/- of even 40-50 yards at those 400+ ranges, for most cartridges might mean a completely clean miss - so the stories of Johnny the hero, making a clean kill at 450-500 yards without the use of any range finder is likely as credible as something that spouts out of Trump's mouth.

I won't even get into wind - which is another issue altogether.

I guess my point is - YES, I agree, more fairy tales than realities spun about these long range hunters. Anyone who has done any shooting, and has attempted these ranges in hunting type positions and situations know, even with great optics and an outstanding weapon, it's pretty darn tough.

Last edited by EZM; 02-10-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
The survey should say "lasered yards"...
With at least two credible witnesses.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:51 AM

I used to be completely against long shots on geese from the blind. That was until i met a fellow that could drop birds consistently at ranges I always considered skybusting. Different folks, different tool boxes. As for the poll, i could not take part as I have never taken any long shots on big game. I shoot to the point blank range of my rifle, with the spine as a near maximum holdover point. From my experience at the range, shooting from different positions, long range hunting can be done effectively with the right tools. I understand some can make ethical shots way out there, while others have no business shooting past 50m. What I dont understand is why this topic tends to get heated in discussion. I dont get mad when Valentino Rossi flies around a track at 300km/h, and he doesnt get mad when I float 10km/s over the speed limit.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:34 PM

Posted for the lady shooters

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...283D&FORM=VIRE

David
Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Banned

If I can avoid it I won't do the long poke. Not because I don't have the confidence but what I have trouble with is finding exactly where the animal was when I shot. I find this typically trouble some with elk. It seems a elk can be hit good but still have the drive to go and they don't seem to bleed much. Elk also travel in herds and after they all take off running it is that much harder to track due to the other tracks contaminating your search area.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Short range on animals for this guy. I can hit paper at long distances but lack skill and confidence to cleanly kill at a long range. Some of the videos i have seen have guys making perfect shots at 600-700 yards. Good for them, lots of practice and being able to know when an animal is going to stand still.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM

After 3000+ individuals polled it appears that only 2.8 % have successfully harvested Big Game at shooting distances beyond 450 yds. I thought the percentage may have been a bit larger .. maybe 5%, but it is what it is.
The >200 yd average distance will likely hold up in spite of all the latest interest in LR Hunting.

Thanks to all who participated.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 AM

Why are so many dead animals found 10 feet past the fence on the back side of fields or just inside the bush on the cutlines.

Shooter assumed a miss and to lazy to walk that far across the field, or down the line from the truck and search for hair and blood because they didn't see the animal drop.

If you shoot don't assume a miss because you don't see it drop . Get out and search.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Why are so many dead animals found 10 feet past the fence on the back side of fields or just inside the bush on the cutlines.

Shooter assumed a miss and to lazy to walk that far across the field, or down the line from the truck and search for hair and blood because they didn't see the animal drop.

If you shoot don't assume a miss because you don't see it drop . Get out and search.
X2
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Under 300 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk