Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM

ah thanks guys... as it turns out im already doing what you all are suggesting and that must be why my meat tastes so good and wouldnt u know it the deer that I shot on a +15 day and was in the freezer in a matter of hours tastes just like beef but better... no gamey flavor but flavored better than beef if u can believe that. "flash frozen" as u have deemed it is just common sense... stuff freezes better the more surface area exposed.... just like things in the microwave or over stay cooler in the middle the longest...
Glad to know its the care of the meat and not the hanging that has allowed me the great tasting meat I'm enjoying this, the 3rd yr of butchering our own.

I always liked throwing snow in the chest when its available too for the cooling proces but I like the idea of rinsing the insides with the snow too, nice little bonus. This pratice of splitting the H bone,brisket and tossing snow in kept my first bull elk last yr cool in -5 weather all night and was great tasting too.

All of this taking care of meat advice should be just common sense no? I treat a dead deer just as I would a chicken breast or steak bought from the store and don't see why anyone wouldn't follow general meat handling rules to a deer they're planning to eat.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
ah thanks guys... as it turns out im already doing what you all are suggesting and that must be why my meat tastes so good and wouldnt u know it the deer that I shot on a +15 day and was in the freezer in a matter of hours tastes just like beef but better... no gamey flavor but flavored better than beef if u can believe that. "flash frozen" as u have deemed it is just common sense... stuff freezes better the more surface area exposed.... just like things in the microwave or over stay cooler in the middle the longest...
Glad to know its the care of the meat and not the hanging that has allowed me the great tasting meat I'm enjoying this, the 3rd yr of butchering our own.

I always liked throwing snow in the chest when its available too for the cooling proces but I like the idea of rinsing the insides with the snow too, nice little bonus. This pratice of splitting the H bone,brisket and tossing snow in kept my first bull elk last yr cool in -5 weather all night and was great tasting too.

All of this taking care of meat advice should be just common sense no? I treat a dead deer just as I would a chicken breast or steak bought from the store and don't see why anyone wouldn't follow general meat handling rules to a deer they're planning to eat.
The term "flash freezing" refers to an actual process of near instant freezing (we used to do it with cod) The method you are referring to and mentioned in another post, is not flash freezing,...well some people may call it that, but usually falsfrozen foods are frozen at -50 or -60 with forced air or cryogenic liquid. Putting meat well spaced in your deepfreeze is just a regular way of freezing, the normal way of non commercial freezing. To enter the realm of flash freezing results you need to get down to -25 or -20F in your freezer. Some freezers can do this, many cannot.

Last edited by Arn?Narn.; 02-11-2011 at 10:10 PM.